Are internet friends better than real life friends?

Page 1 of 4 [ 63 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Which is better?
Internet friends 51%  51%  [ 40 ]
Real life friends 49%  49%  [ 39 ]
Total votes : 79

Danielismyname
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2007, 4:20 am

Never had any anywhere; mainly 'cause I don't know what a "friend" is and how I'd define it.

I've enjoyed speaking to Robyn via PM, and I guess she’s the closest thing to a “friend” I’ve experienced, i.e., speaking my thoughts completely.... Which probably confuses her to no end. :)

There's quite a few individuals here I'd like to be "friends" with, but I'd never go out of my way and PM them to talk.... I'd hate to be a nuisance.

It's good to speak to people and be heard, humbled and humored.

skahthic
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2007, 4:52 am

Well, since my 2 best friends just moved to another state I'd have to say they are now internet friends--- it doesn't matter since they are still my best friends. If a friend is a REAL friend, then I'd like to have them closer, but once a person has shown themselves to be real then distance doesn't matter, they are close to me in other ways. I feel like an island here now, but at least i have internet.

Anna4077
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

01 Jun 2007, 6:47 am

There are asswipes everywhere, unfortunately.
Having said that, you only have to communicate with internet friends when you want to and they are never going to borrow money or break your CD player.

Ragtime
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2007, 10:38 am

I've found that getting my thoughts out in writing is much more natural for me than speaking. Seems to be the same with reading other people's posts, as well, as opposed to reading someone's body language. I basically have two real-life friends, and that number's been about the same at any given period in my life. I'd always like more friends, but I feel rich having just the two. But a little frantic, too, because something could happen to one of them, even if it's just them moving away. I feel like I'm just on the cusp of being a social type, yet there are just too many obstacles that jump up in my way just frequently enough to keep me relatively unsocialized and solitary.

Ragtime
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2007, 10:39 am

TruenoBlues wrote:
I have more than 150 real life friends, and I think they're better than online friends. Funny, I seem to be the minority on the poll.

Ya, I'd say so!! ! :lol:

shadexiii
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2007, 11:04 am

gwenevyn wrote:
MaterialDefender wrote:
lost my few real friends after going to
college :( I am too shy to go out on my own and find new friends.

ditto that

Same. Only reason I had any friends in college was that people approached me. That, and living in the dorm didn't give me any personal space, so it wasn't like I could just sit in my room and be left alone. People kept walking in and out of there and inevitably would talk to me.

I never got the whole "Go out and meet people!" bit. Go out, randomly start talking to someone? See if you get along? Just doesn't make a lot of sense to me. Maybe because I'd be confused (and have been) when others have done that to me.

Ragtime wrote:
I've found that getting my thoughts out in writing is much more natural for me than speaking. Seems to be the same with reading other people's posts, as well, as opposed to reading someone's body language.

I'll second that. One of the two friends I have in my hometown, seems like we fight frequently. Feels like he's on my case, trying to "fix" me or make me "better" a lot of the time.Some sort of disconnect in communication.

Yoshie777
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2007, 12:13 pm

Internet friends are nice and you guys are great, but what I really long for are friends in the real world. People to walk with, share moments with, sit with during meals, and have a good laugh with. I also think it is better to have a girlfriend in the real world. A girl that I can hold hands with, connect with, and share good moments with.

Basically for me, the Internet just isn't the same as in the real world. I mean, words and emoticons sometimes aren't enough. I also enjoy hearing a friend's voice and laughter, seeing their faces, and enjoying their company face-to-face.

MrSinister
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2007, 1:33 pm

Internet friendships have served me far better than real-life friendships over the years. I've met up with two very good 'net-friends more than once over the past three years and I've had more fun and personal fulfilment than I've had in ages with the people I hang around with in real life. I've got to know those guys a lot more because I've had stuff in common with them automatically, and haven't had to work past awkward mutual differences.

kittenfluffies
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2007, 3:06 pm

My one or two real life friends are the most important people in my life, but the rest of my friends are mainly on the internet. Since my (very few) real life friends are closest I chose "Real Life Friends" but honestly my internet friends are very important to me as well. I don't know if I could get through the day at work without them sometimes!

xboxboy247
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

01 Jun 2007, 4:02 pm

See, the people you meet here are good people, but everywhere else you meet not-so-good people.

Like discussing Film and Writing?
Go here! http://fwc.eamped.com/

Save The Internet! It's not going to save itself!
http://www.savetheinternet.com/

skahthic
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2007, 1:30 am

Ragtime wrote:
I've found that getting my thoughts out in writing is much more natural for me than speaking. Seems to be the same with reading other people's posts, as well, as opposed to reading someone's body language. I basically have two real-life friends, and that number's been about the same at any given period in my life. I'd always like more friends, but I feel rich having just the two. But a little frantic, too, because something could happen to one of them, even if it's just them moving away. I feel like I'm just on the cusp of being a social type, yet there are just too many obstacles that jump up in my way just frequently enough to keep me relatively unsocialized and solitary.

I've come to the conclusion that in any person's given life they'll have only a few true friends. Even a person who says they have many will soon find out that most of them are really just good acquaintences or less. To have 2 or 3 true friends is really good--- better than a bunch of acquaintences who may or may not be there for you when you need them most.

Pugly
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2007, 9:45 am

It's hard for me to connect with most people, it doesn't matter if its online or in real life. Online doesn't change a thing and actually makes it worse since I don't go out of my way to try to be friends with people and people online don't usually make it a point to be friends with me. And honestly I need something to work the gears of a relationship, some game or movie or tv show that I can watch or do with friends.... without that online just loses something... it never clicks and people online never become more than lookers on.

Also as difficult as it is for me to interact with people, once I am comfortable and the people understand me... I can get along fairly well and they understand me and expect what I am going to say. I am not good at communicating through text... it always seems unnatural. And I overanalyze everything I type... trying to get exactly what I mean out... and it still ends up not even being close to what I am trying to say.

Perhaps if online was a supliment for real life interaction it would work out slightly better. But still I am still not great communicating over text. But I am a master lurker...

love to lurk...

Jimbogf
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

02 Jun 2007, 12:39 pm

I don't have friends either online or offline. Though I would imagine online friends are less "needy."

RTSgamerFTW
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2007, 3:17 pm

Online Friends:
Pros: Easier to be friends with.
Cons: The internet is full of hypocrites.

Real Friends:
Pros: Better to be friends with.
Cons: They might also be hypocrites,but nothing compared to the internet.

Santa_Claus
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2007, 3:21 pm

I cant say I have any friends here or in real life except for RTSgamer.

ljoon
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

02 Jun 2007, 6:37 pm

I find it easier to communicate over the internet. I have trouble making it past small talk with others in the outside world.