Sometimes, but worse than average 11%  11%  [ 6 ]
I make the absent minded professor look really good 21%  21%  [ 12 ]
I make the absent minded professor look really good 21%  21%  [ 12 ]
Total votes : 56

Sophist
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jun 2005, 2:56 pm

I'm just plain absent-minded, too lost in my own head to notice the world around me, hehe. Of course, I do have an excellent visual memory; however it is by no means eidetic.

I have a little HP PDA and I put all of my appointments in there. Strangely enough, once I've actually put the appointment in there, I can remember it fine-- like my short term just needed that extra boost of visually seeing the appointment in my PDA. So, as long as I put it in there, 90% of the time I'll remember it and actually beat the alarm to the punch.

I no longer lose my keys very much because I have a hook by the door on which I put them right when I walk in. Though I still do lose other things often enough. But usually I can locate them fairly quickly (though I have gone months without my wallet on several occasions).

PS- I do the walking into a room and forgeting why I had come in there in the first place, then walk back into the other room, pause a second, remember why I wanted to go into the other room in the first place, and then walk back into the other room again. God, I'm glad I live alone. I look ridiculous.

My partner's autism science blog, Cortical Chauvinism - http://corticalchauvinism.wordpress.com/

Fogman
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2005, 2:43 pm

I can have really lousy short term memory over things, and that can be a real pain, but at the same time, I can have nearly photographic memory over really inconsequential things.

A few years ago, my mom and I paid a visit to my grandfather who was in a nursing home, after that, we stopped at a restaurant to eat. The last time that I had been in this restaurant was 30 years previously when I was 5 years old (1972). I immediately pointed out to her how they had changed the floorplan, and told her the layout as it was in 1972, right down to the jukebox, and the Ballentine Ale clock above it. I also told her what we ate. (Onion Rings)

She was amazed at my recall, I'm not, I tend to have a photographic memory for some things, but I'm a total spaceball when it come's to other things, unfortately, many of the things I forget are important ! :(

Nomaken
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2005, 7:13 pm

My ability to keep several items in my head is limited to 3. I had 4 classes and i was standing in a office max trying to remember what they were so as to buy s**t for them. So i stood in the middle of an (i looked at every different spelling and none looked right) aile, and started naming classes.

Psychology.......logic......sociology.........

....uhhhh...... Okay, lemme start over.

psychology......sociology......math.....
Damn it!!

GalileoAce
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2005, 7:16 pm

[DELETED]

Last edited by GalileoAce on 02 Apr 2006, 11:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sophist
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2005, 8:00 pm

ALE. Nomaken was standing in the ALE. duh. Haven't you seen the Ale in Office Max??? That's what Nomaken ment. Right? :D

(There's Ale all OVER Office Max.)

My partner's autism science blog, Cortical Chauvinism - http://corticalchauvinism.wordpress.com/

SINsister
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2005, 8:33 pm

Mmmmmm, ale...especially Newcastle Brown... :D

~Steve Jobs

ilikedragons
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2005, 8:41 pm

I'll talk to someone and forget what I was going to say alot.