Learning difficulties in the work place

Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

Bat
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

29 Jun 2005, 2:44 am

Hi
I am a training officer for a large company in the UK. I am dyslexic and my son has Aspergers, he is 12yrs old.
I have been asked to look in to how we can support people with learning difficulties at work and put a training package together for employees / managers etc.
What i need to do this, is gather feedback about how we can support people with aspergers and other learning difficulties in the training enviroment and also in the work place - the main bulk of the work is office work and data processing.
I would appreciate any serious feedback -thanks
Len :)

pyraxis
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2005, 2:59 am

Just a few, for Asperger's and other autism spectrum disorders:

Provide a means for the employee to discreetly and privately withdraw for a few minutes if they start to feel overwhelmed. An empty room, a quiet corner, a short walk, even a bathroom break, are all helpful.

If it doesn't interfere with work, allow the employee to listen to their own music through noise-cancelling headphones if they like. This can do wonders for sound sensitivity.

Avoid fluorescent lighting; seat the employee near a window with natural light.

Avoid vague instructions, don't assume the context of the situation makes them clear; ie. instead of "Would you get me those papers out of the drawer?" say "Would you get me John's file from the top drawer of the filing cabinet?"

eSapien
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

29 Jun 2005, 12:10 pm

I agree with the recommendation on breaks. Perhaps in general, be more focused on goals than enforcing a process.

Also, encourage managers to be proactive in maintaining organizational structure and respect for a person's role within the structure. That is, try to avoid or resolve situations in which a person will be required to socially negotiate for, compete for, muddle through or otherwise defend their role or position within the group.

Maybe this sounds a little esoteric but it is helpful to reduce these sources of secondary stress, confusion or conflict that are due to issues related to the workplace rather than the work itself.

Ghosthunter
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2005, 1:48 pm

Bat wrote:
Emu Egg
Posted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 2:44 am    
Post subject: Learning difficulties in the work place
---------------------------------------------
Hi
I am a training officer for a large company in the UK.
I am dyslexic and my son has Aspergers, he is
12yrs old.

I have been asked to look in to how we can support
people with learning difficulties at work and put a training
package together for employees / managers etc.
What i need to do this, is gather feedback about how
we can support people with aspergers and other learning
difficulties in the training enviroment and also in the work
place - the main bulk of the work is office work and data
processing. I would appreciate any serious feedback -thanks
Len Back to top

pyraxis wrote:
Deinonychus
Posted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 2:59 am    
Post subject:
----------------
Just a few, for Asperger's and other autism
spectrum disorders:

Provide a means for the employee to discreetly
and privately withdraw for a few minutes if they
start to feel overwhelmed. An empty room, a
quiet corner, a short walk, even a bathroom break,
are all helpful.

Agreed! For example! When I cashiered and felt
overwhelmed and was not able to disconnect!
I would falter and crash! The last day I cashiered
and he asked me to checkout Autism was when
I had a major number of customers and was in
major overload! I had many bad transactions
and when It "Hit", Then! ......!

I put my eye's to the ground and lowered my
head as John wasn't sure to yell at me at
that moment. I walked out to the back
and started the dishes. I never cashiered
full time since, and to the end of the job
he was hesistant.

Another example:

Li Lon had me wrap and call numbers for
sandwiches. Then as customers kept
streaming in I had to stop and she kept
saying work faster as I was in melt down
so I ingnored my basic instincts. It started
with my eye freezing and face freezing and
I had to go to restroom to hide and splash
cold water on my face when I exceeded
emotional overload. I tried to explain
Autism to her and well she didn't get it.
This is why the job was only 15 hours
a week. John know emotional overload
and clumbsiness and other negatives
can occur.

The fact is he did a great job in accomadating
me, it was I who took the wrong kind of
job, FOOD SERVICE, but I had to eat, but
not at emotional and physical prices!

pyraxis wrote:
If it doesn't interfere with work, allow the employee
to listen to their own music through noise-cancelling
headphones if they like. This can do wonders for
sound sensitivity.

pyraxis wrote:
Avoid fluorescent lighting; seat the employee near a
window with natural light.

I like this one. Is is simple, free(only needs a window)
and profoundly forgotten!

pyraxis wrote:
Avoid vague instructions, don't assume the context of the
situation makes them clear; ie.

instead of "Would you get me those papers out of the
drawer?" say "Would you get me John's file from the
top drawer of the filing cabinet?"Back to top

Big ONe!! !! !! !! ! John would say, I would often misinterpret
and thus with time we knew how to communicate
thoughts and idea's!

Li Lon barked. Her vaguities got me in points where
I could have lost my job, but I guess John got through
to her somehow. But the reality is a boss like Li Lon
would make any autistic person go job to job rapidly.

She was nice, but didn't know, nor make any effort
that could make a difference in how I communicate
and how we can convey effectively.

eSapien wrote:
Emu Egg
Posted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 12:10 pm    
Post subject: Thoughts for Managers
--------------------------------
I agree with the recommendation on breaks.
Perhaps in general, be more focused on goals
than enforcing a process.

Big One! One who has jumped job to job
because of Li Lon's and a those others who
couldn't understand how to work with a
HFA or Aspergers person should know!

Yes, I am referring to me!! !! !! !

• I take a job, a goal is set that is gradual!

• Playing their strengths and not provoking or
enraging their weaknesses(bad because they get
clumbsy and later easily irratated)

• Set up a realistic aspect that this isn't just a 15 hours
a week dead end Quizno's job until I am 65 and have
to live off $500-$650 a month social security, if it even
exists, thus be one of those who collects alumium cans
you see in San Francisco who was hard working 70 and
reduced to a bum.

Instead focus on Education. I want my next job to
be able to play my strengths, some give and take
on both ends, I can afford housing, and BIG ONE
go to school and get a college degree, NOT COLLECT
ALUMIUM CANS at 70 living off $650 per month
in Social Security.

Right now I am 39. This is 26 years ahead.
I am not young and time isn't going to wait.

E wrote:
Also, encourage managers to be proactive in maintaining
organizational structure and respect for a person's role
within the structure.

That is, try to avoid or resolve situations in which a person
will be required to socially negotiate for, compete for, muddle
through or otherwise defend their role or position within the
group.

This sounds like negative co-worker situations.
Yes, that is true. The bossy one has no problem
being bossy. But how are you to focus when you
are being put into emotional overload for SOMEONE
ELSES PLEASURE and you(THE MGR) let this happen.
:evil: :evil: :evil:

E wrote:
Maybe this sounds a little esoteric but it is helpful to
reduce these sources of secondary stress, confusion
or conflict that are due to issues related to the workplace
rather than the work itself.Back to top

Huh!
8O :? 8O :? 8O :?:

Sincerely,
Ghosthunter
I hope this input is from me better helps the "Bat"!

Flappity! Flappity! Flap! Oooh! Dear 8O it's the BAt! Eeeek! :P :P

Mockingbird
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2005, 1:58 pm

Ghosthunter wrote:
Flappity! Flappity! Flap! Oooh! Dear 8O it's the BAt! Eeeek! :P :P

LOL!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

I agree with everything Ghosthunter, Pyraxis, and Esapien said. Also, some things that would be helpful also, would include communicating with people through notes/emails rather than in person when possible:It is easier to to do what I have to do if I don't have to talk to people

Again, if it is possible, let them organize/clean their own working area, so they know where everything is and how to find it. Even if it looks a bit messy to you.

Plan out hours-try not to call them and ask if they can come in for a few extra hours that day unless it's absolutely neccesary. Many of us have a very, very hard time with changes in our plans

Pugly
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2005, 7:44 pm

Something this helps me, when I have to do a task over the phone... or something new, is to have all the information I need before hand. Every little bit of info that I could possibly need to accomplish this new task, so that nothing unexpected comes up and causes me to loose focus and react poorly in the situation.

Being able to listen to music also helps a ton, as has been listed.

In general, when asking questions... it helps if I have time to think over exactly what was said... and formulate an answer and then come back and answer everything in great detail... after a complete analysis of the question. Sometimes though questions need to be answered fast, but during these situations it can help to not have other distractions going on... or other questions needed answered.

When having to explain something, like how to use a computer program, or other related task, it is immensely easier to show it then to explain it to someone. I always have trouble explaining how to use or do something to people, and I am way too timid to just say... here let me show you how its done... so the person just flounders away at my strange explainations. So its best to ask for the demostration, then waiting for someone with AS to tell you they should just show it instead.

Unless things are exlicitly shown how it should be, I will tend to do things in a way I think it should be, which isn't the same as what people expect or want. Organization systems, and desk space, and other type things.

I have a bunch of little issues with work, mostly related to communications. A little understanding of how an Aspie mind works can go a long way, unfortunately its difficult to explain way you want things a certain way or say things a certain way without people thinking you are crazy... or even worse unproductive...

Pandora
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2005, 6:27 am

It's often easier for the As person if you write down instructions clearly ie. specific as to time, place, and person. I have trouble with time perception myself and find it tricky to deal with concepts such as "soon", "later" and "when you're ready". I also communicate far better in writing than orally, particularly when feeling stressed.

It's better to say something like "in 5 minutes from now, could you please come to my desk" rather than "when you're ready" because they mightn't feel ready for a long time.

Avoid asking them to do more than one thing at a time. Also, when new people start, it's important to show them where the toilets, tea-rooms, and other places are.

It's very important to have someone designated to be a buddy to the AS person - someone they can speak to/write to without feeling judged and stupid.

Hold your heads up high.
"Western Girls" - Dragon

monastic
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2005, 7:57 am

I agree with the answers that have so far been given by others.

Many of the things brought up do require a conscious effort and a bit of respect or tolerance on the part of all employees and managers alike. The unique abilities that Autistic individuals can contribute in the workplace make these efforts worthwhile. When I speak of Autistic’s here, I am talking about Asperger’s and HFA alike although many of us vary in abilities and difficulties.

Quite a few Autistic’s have problems using language to have even what would be considered a simple conversation. They may make irrelevant comments, interrupt, or talk about a subject that interests them no matter if the listener is interested. Many may require extra processing time to understand a conversation. Autistics tend to be very literal in their use of language, and may misunderstand humor or sarcasm. Autistic’s can have trouble when it comes to “reading between the lines” and with unwritten rules and social conduct.

A plus about autistic employees is that they do have a good rote memory, but a few can have problems with problem-solving and knowing what to do in a situation that needs quick results.
You may notice an Autistic’s tendency to be excessively blunt and honest This might appear rude or obnoxious to others. Most have difficulty making eye contact, which can make it appear to others that they are not listening or that they are not truthful in which neither is the case. Many Autistic’s have a difficult time with non-verbal or body language cues and facial expressions, so guessing the thoughts and feelings of others can be quite difficult. Emotions are not shown many times outwardly and may seem to others as if they are unfeeling even if that is not true.

As stated before, many Autistic Individuals have excellent rote memories which will help in finding work materials (even if their method seems a little haphazard) and can these employees can be very creative & imaginative. Most of all, Autistics are good at “thinking outside the box.”

Autistics are very black and white in their thinking and so therefore believe very strongly in justice. Many assume that other people think the same as they do and take opposite positions to their thoughts or ideas, personally. Many when their work is criticized, they feel as if they are being criticized as a person. Autistics can respond badly to authoritarian behavior and anger from others. They do not mind being given directions but do not take to being ordered about or talked “down to” as if they are children. My son says, “I don’t mind that you tell me to do something, just don’t tell me how to do it.” This is not to be confused with instructions on something that the autistic employee has never done before. Many can and will perform a particular task “exactly” as you have described to do the task – to almost perfection once they have learned how to do it.

Autistic’s have varied and unique responses to sensory stimuli. Loud noise and certain pitches may cause anxiety or pain. Hypersensitive hearing and an inability to screen out background noise may cause sensory overload or shutdown. Lightly touching a shoulder would not bother most people but may be painful to the person with Autism.

A quiet place to eat lunch or just to regroup or someplace quiet to take a break is sometimes necessary. Please understand that many Autistic’s are sensitive to light, and the flickering of fluorescent lights and computer screens may cause discomfort or stress. Strong odors can be problematic also.

A lot of times, handwriting, cutting, and drawing may be a difficult thing, (my own handwriting is horrible) although some Autistic individuals are quite artistic.

Autistic’s can feel overwhelmed with sensory stimuli that is beyond their control and confused by social relationships that they don't know the rules for. It can be less stressful if there is someone that the Autistic employee can go to or talk with if things are confusing or overwhelming.

These (and the other answers given) seems to cover it for me.

All in all many Autistic employees are loyal and dedicated workers and will be an asset to any company, if given a chance.

In times of universal deceit, telling the truth will be a revolutionary act. - George Orwell

Feather
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

30 Jun 2005, 9:53 am

All of the above, plus:

When giving lists of tasks to be completed, make sure that the priority is marked in some way, as many of us have trouble deciding which thing to do first which delays everything! So number them in the order in which they are to be completed.

Those with AS tend to prefer being given tasks that they can complete with minimal interference from beginning to end. Inability to see the 'bigger picture' and to work out how others are going about their parts of the job can lead to problems if one is simply doing a part of a task then handing on to someone else for completion, or receiving something part-way done and having to complete it. These scenarios can result in the task not being done at all! Although this can come across as laziness or inability to do a job, this is not the case in any way.

The most important point is to ask any individual what changes to the working practices would make their life easier. We are all different, and an adjustment that suits one person may not suit another. So consultation (in clear, non-vague terms, confirmed in writing and allowing them to put their points in writing if preferred) with the individual concerned is of utmost importance.

Bat
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

13 Jul 2005, 7:58 am

Thankyou for all your responses I have taken the information on board and at the moment am acting on an advisory level if needed using some of this information. If you have anything further to add please keep responding

thanks
Lenny (Bat)

pyraxis
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2005, 12:45 pm

Let us know how it goes. Are there many employers who are open to making these kind of adaptations?