Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

waltr
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

14 Oct 2008, 8:40 am

Hellish would be how I'd describe my experiences with SSRIs. On the other hand, I've had very good experiences with SSNRIs. Cymbalta has been a godsend. It all depends on your unique neurochemistry.

nominalist
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

14 Oct 2008, 12:30 pm

I have had excellent experiences with Lexapro (an SSRI) - no adverse symptoms either.

Institute for Dialectical metaRealism: http://dmr.institute

anna-banana
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2008, 12:31 pm

nope, only good ones. maybe apart from the first week and the withdrawal. that was a bit strange, but it passed.

UnusualSuspect
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

14 Oct 2008, 12:47 pm

Prozac. Sheer hell. If I hadn't had the sense to know that what was happening to me was the drug, I might have killed myself or someone else.

In case you don't know -- anti-depressants are counter-indicated for anyone with BP II. I was being treated for depression, but we discussed the possiblity of BP II. Many years ago. Latest info I can find about it, more or less confirms a possible diagnosis.

Mage
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2008, 1:41 pm

Yes, it was bad.

ADoyle
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2008, 1:59 pm

Yes, it was bad, and I gained weight while on it that I'm still struggling to lose.

Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2008, 5:26 pm

I'm not quite sure what SSRI is, though I could say I don't think I could survive without my anti-depressants. Though one point they drove me to pure insanity, and I'm fine now thanks to a correction in the dose on my 2nd medication (risperdal) I really don't want to fathom what my life would be like not taking Lexapro.

Mosse
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

14 Oct 2008, 5:47 pm

What's an SSRI?

Anyway I don't take antidepressants.

Rainstorm5
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2008, 5:53 pm

UnusualSuspect wrote:
Prozac. Sheer hell. If I hadn't had the sense to know that what was happening to me was the drug, I might have killed myself or someone else.

I used Prozac for a couple of years and it gave me 'clouded thinking,' rollercoaster-type mood swings and strange dreams where I was killing myself. It also killed my sex drive almost completely (and there wasn't much to start with). I quit taking it a few years ago when it started causing me problems with concentration at work.

JetLag
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2008, 6:06 pm

Paxil was the worst med I've ever swallowed.

patternist
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2008, 7:40 pm

Lexapro was okay, but the sex drive thing, which I counteracted with Wellbutrin. It did okay, made me mellow.

Zoloft was okay too, not as effective as Lexapro.

I went in for anxiety, insomnia and rage freakouts/meltdowns though, and personally I don't think I should have to take anything 100% of the time for problems that I don't experience 100% of the time.

nightbender
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2008, 8:14 pm

horrible. prozac made me really angery and think about slaughtering my class mates.

Pithlet
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

14 Oct 2008, 11:58 pm

Yep. Really really scary withdrawls while quiting Paxil. Lasted months. Had to cross taper with Prozac to ease the nausea and anorexia. Then I quit Prozac by itself six months later. That was easier, but I didn'y want anything to do with any SSRIs after that.

Carbonhalo
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

15 Oct 2008, 12:54 am

Rainstorm5 wrote:
I used Prozac for a couple of years and it gave me 'clouded thinking,' rollercoaster-type mood swings and strange dreams where I was killing myself. It also killed my sex drive almost completely (and there wasn't much to start with). I quit taking it a few years ago when it started causing me problems with concentration at work.

Oh yeah... head full of cotton wool...suicidal obsession(without impulse)... libido gone AWOL

Both Effexor & Zoloft did this.

Since the horrid side affects of withdrawing from Effexor, I have a new one I'm too scared to start...Avanza (mertazapine)...
Hell... I haven't got $30/month for it anyway.