Lucid Dreaming / Vivid Dreams <-please share your dreams

Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

Stellian
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

22 Jul 2007, 12:13 am

Post deleted (it was a duplicate post)

Last edited by Stellian on 23 Jul 2007, 12:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

Stellian
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

22 Jul 2007, 12:25 am

Post deleted (it was a duplicate post)

Last edited by Stellian on 23 Jul 2007, 12:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

Stellian
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

22 Jul 2007, 12:26 am

Icarus_Falling wrote:
Stellian wrote:
My few "powers" include levitation, cloud-busting, flying and possession (controlling people from the inside).

Wow! I'd never even considered possession; I'll have to think about that one... What do you mean by "cloud-busting"? Thanks for giving me something new to consider!

No problem, thank you for motivating me to try lucid dreaming again. :D I've never taken control of people at will, it just happens. When it happens, the body I used to have becomes like another person.

Cloud-busting is when you can make clouds disappear just by looking at them and wishing it. Some delusional people think they can do it in real life just because when they stare at clouds, they disappear naturally after a while.

This became my favourite thread in WP. I find it incredibly FUN. :D Thanks for sharing your awesome experiences.

About the FPS-like experience of moving as a camera point, I remember dreaming like an RPG just yesterday. It wasn't lucid, though, but it gave me some ideas for powers I could try to develop later. You know, the basic ice/fire/air/lightning powers. I woke up with the weird tought that I could upgrade anyone. Like "hey, you, now I upgrade you to level 3". In the dream, upgraded people had cooler suits and their powers were more flashy and cpu-intensive.

RadarJunkie
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

22 Jul 2007, 2:09 pm

Icarus_Falling wrote:
I'm sorry to hear your cabin was violated like that; that sounds very distressing. :( That very well could have caused me to act violently towards the people I found there, but perhaps not if I was worried about finding someone.

Depending on how lucid the dream was, I might also have tried to revert the cabin back to it's original state. I've had some very limited success with this power. Let me regale you all with my most fascinating attempt at this...

I'm quite taken with (jealous of) all these stories of taking control, and of flying. My dreams seem to mostly involve fleeing, not flying. One dream in particular, I was supposed to meet everyone I knew (all of them) at some boat dock, to get on a very large boat together, and when I got there the boat was just pulling out, and I was running after it, running after it, running after it (er, it was a long boat dock), but never quite able to catch up. It was so obvious, when I woke up, that I had, as they say, missed the boat, but that's exactly the sort of thing I'm always not quite able to avoid, in my dreams. My life is kind of like that, too. I seem to always stay just on the passive side of assertive, no matter how much I try to control my life, and my dreams reflect this exactly. So, even when I am aware that I am dreaming, which I think of as being in two states of consciousness simultaneously, I'm not able to control which one dominates.

Icarus_Falling wrote:
As other drivers came to a stop and people started to gather around the burning car, I got it in my head to try to undo the accident. I stood up, extended one hand toward the flaming car, and very carefully concentrated on reversing things. Things occurred in three distinct steps; first I snuffed out the flames, then I flipped the car back over, finally I caused all of the pieces to come back together, leaving the car in its original state. It was absolutely awesome!

I'll say!

Icarus_Falling wrote:
RadarJunkie wrote:
...so I pack my suitcase full of chocolate and toilet paper -- and nothing else -- and run away from home? Also very anxiety producing. But.... toilet paper and chocolate?!?!)

Hey, toilet paper is a handy thing to have. :wink: I don't like chocolate; I might have packed toilet paper and jerky (spicy jerky).

LOL whereas to me chocolate is the most sanctuarious food/ place/ experience/ substance I can imagine ever knowing. Even so, it seems to me that packing half my suitcase with it, leaving no room for a change of clothing, is just too excessive!

Now, the dreams where I swim in a vat of chocolate, those are the closest I've ever come to controlling a dream, that I can remember. I influence the people at the Ghirardeli factory to close up shop at night with the churns turned off but the heat still on, so that the chocolate is a few degrees above body temperature and I have the whole factory to myself. I swim, I climb on and slide down the rollers meant for moving finished chocolates along, I inhale "underwater" (underchocolate), I tread liquid chocolate while opening finished boxes of truffles and of chocolate-covered raspberry jellies snarfed from the end of the production line and inhaling them, the whole factory is my playground, and somehow the workers respect my need for this diversion enough that they decide to open up late the next morning. When I am done, I clean up somewhat, after slurping off as much as I want, by showering in delicious fresh coffee. 100% divine, totally escapist, and I just can't fathom what the parallel dreams for a spice jerky lover would be!

Seriously, I think those are the closest dreams I have to having my subconscious slightly more in control of the dream than my unconscious. I've been in psychotherapy for too long, perhaps, that this is the language I speak in, but do you think your lucid-dream experiences feel like that, like your subconscious is becoming more dominant, and is manipulating your unconscious state of being?

Icarus_Falling
everyman antihero
everyman antihero

22 Jul 2007, 4:13 pm

RadarJunkie wrote:
Now, the dreams where I swim in a vat of chocolate, those are the closest I've ever come to controlling a dream, that I can remember. I influence the people at the Ghirardeli factory to close up shop at night with the churns turned off but the heat still on, so that the chocolate is a few degrees above body temperature and I have the whole factory to myself. I swim, I climb on and slide down the rollers meant for moving finished chocolates along, I inhale "underwater" (underchocolate), I tread liquid chocolate while opening finished boxes of truffles and of chocolate-covered raspberry jellies snarfed from the end of the production line and inhaling them, the whole factory is my playground, and somehow the workers respect my need for this diversion enough that they decide to open up late the next morning. When I am done, I clean up somewhat, after slurping off as much as I want, by showering in delicious fresh coffee. 100% divine, totally escapist, and I just can't fathom what the parallel dreams for a spice jerky lover would be!

Wow, most excellent! :o And coffee to boot [coffee I do love; having a quad-espresso right now]. Lucid dream abilities or no, you have a beautiful mind, RadarJunkie. [Tell your shrink I said so.]

RadarJunkie wrote:
Seriously, I think those are the closest dreams I have to having my subconscious slightly more in control of the dream than my unconscious. I've been in psychotherapy for too long, perhaps, that this is the language I speak in, but do you think your lucid-dream experiences feel like that, like your subconscious is becoming more dominant, and is manipulating your unconscious state of being?

Ahh, technical analysis time. I wish I had some useful answer to this very interesting question, but the best I can come up with is, I'm not sure. My mind is not easily defined [not to imply that yours is either]; it is a fractured, chaotic place; it is not unlikely that I have more than a touch of schizophrenia. As I've mentioned, the Dreamlands are more real to me than the waking world. I've spoken of lucid dreams, but many of my dreams are not lucid (though most are very vivid). I tend to be... more, together? in the Dreamlands. In waking life, I'm really something of a neurotic mess, and I like to walk the edge of the precipice just for the hell of it. I joke about this sometimes, but I really do have delusions of graneur. Sorry, I'm not answering your question; uh, insufficient data. Let me move on...

RadarJunkie wrote:
My dreams seem to mostly involve fleeing, not flying.

To perhaps assuage your jealousy a bit, let me tell you about a non-lucid fleeing dream I had yestereve. Ironically, it has to do with something I did here on the Wrong Planet when I was just a bit drunk, and just before I went to bed. And what I did was inadvertently [really] wander into the Women's Discussion section of the forum, and I found myself reading a thread titled "Embarrassing girl moments". Of course, me being me, I didn't stop there; I had to open my mouth and start babbling on the thread... in the Women's Discussions area... on a thread titled "Embarrassing girl moments". I don't know what I was thinking; it was the Guinness, I swear.

In any case, I went to bed just after opening my mouth on that thread a couple of times, and as I was falling asleep, I started worrying that I'd made a huge social faux pas... Then, I fell asleep, and had a very interesting dream.

I was at a Catholic high school [I'm not sure why], and I accidentally [really] wandered into the girls' locker room. It was bustling with girls in various states of half-dress, and they were talking about secret girly things that only girls are meant to hear. I stood for a moment, bedazzled, and enjoying the scene [sorry, can't help that], and then started listening to what the girls were talking about. Then, for some strange reason, I opened my mouth and asked one of them something about what she was talking about [I don't remember what the specific subject was]. As soon as I opened my mouth, a painful silence fell over the locker room, and all eyes turned towards me. After a brief pause, all of the girls, almost simultaneously, reached into her locker, and pulled out either a pitchfork, or a burning torch... :!: And they started to come after me, screaming howls of fury. Oh crap! I hightailed it out of there; and now you see how this is a "fleeing" dream. :wink: Well, I moved quickly, and evasively; but I just couldn't shake them. Every time I thought I'd gotten away, one of them would find me, and call all the rest; it was like trying to get away from mob of Xena's and vampire slaying Buffy's. Eventually, I slipped away, and took refuge at the very top of the school's bell tower. I was cornered, and had no place to go. And, one of the girls found me there. I thought I was doomed, and as she opened her mouth, I was sure she was going to call out to the others. But, to my surprise, she said, "I'm not like all the rest... And I know you're not either." And she didn't call the others. And then I recognized her; she was the girl I had originally spoken to in the locker room. We ended up having a long, interesting conversation, and eventually fell in love...

So, the dream had a happy ending, but for a while, that fleeing was rather intense; adrenaline and sleep make for an interesting mix.

Best wishes to you, RadarJunky, in your efforts to sort things out... And more sweet chocolate dreams to ya. :wink:

Good fortune,

- Icarus

matt271
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2007, 4:53 pm

if i had lucid dreams they would be full of 3sums and stuff :D

innov79
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

22 Jul 2007, 7:26 pm

I am VERY intrested in this kind of dreaming (and other "alt forms of mental control") but idk how, any advice?

Icarus_Falling
everyman antihero
everyman antihero

22 Jul 2007, 7:53 pm

innov79 wrote:
I am VERY intrested in this kind of dreaming (and other "alt forms of mental control") but idk how, any advice?

The lucid dream page on Wikipedia has some useful information; I suggest reading thru it and googling around a bit more, if you have not already done so.

It's a bit different for everyone, I think. I've been told many people don't dream in colour, and some can't recall dreams at all; I'm not sure if someone in those categories is able to lucid dream? I've been able to use the WILD method exactly once, which initiated the most lucid dream I've had to date (many of the powers I describe above occurred in that dream). I have a friend at work I was recently talking to on this subject; he'd never had a lucid dream, but he tried the MILD method, and had some success. Most often I use the WBTB method, and I manage to recognize some dream signs (as I mentioned, wondering if you're dreaming at all is key), then use one of the mentioned dream tests. One test that is not mentioned there is that, for me, physical sensations are dulled; it is difficult for me to feel any real pain there, or to be truly harmed in any way, so, for example, I can walk in the snow with bare feet and not feel cold-pain; I've also been shot (with guns and arrows), stabbed, bitten, fallen from great heights, and poisoned with no ill effects. So, sometimes, a simple (and always available) dreamtest I use it to pinch myself, hard; if I do that, and don't feel a corresponding sharp pain, I know I'm dreaming.

It is also something that requires practice, and some element of trial and error. Does anyone else have any advice to share?

I wish you the utmost luck!

Good fortune,

- Icarus

RadarJunkie
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

24 Jul 2007, 9:43 pm

Icarus_Falling wrote:
It is also something that requires practice, and some element of trial and error. Does anyone else have any advice to share?

Interesting, all these methods. I guess I came in through the back door, so to speak. I grew up being amazed by my mother's vivid dreams but believing myself incapable of them. But analyzing the few I remembered, when I started therapy, made me better able to remember them in general, which meant more analyzing of course, and at some point all the attention on what my dreams do for me, and becoming familiar with the slight differences between my dreams' version of reality and what I perceive to be reality in my non-dreaming time, made me start to be able to ask, while dreaming, "am I dreaming?" Once you start asking that question, you start knowing the answer before you have to even ask. At least -- that's how it worked for me.

Also, I don't "seem" to dream so often any more, but I don't get enough sleep either. Whenever I start making sure I get sleep, I also start noticing my dreams again, and it's a short step from there to lucid dreaming.

Oh! And it helps me a LOT to set two alarm clocks. (Helps with waking up in general, too.) One goes off under my pillow (and therefore muffled) 45 minutes before I'm supposed to get up. That seems to wake me almost-up, and escalate me into a state that does lucid dreaming a lot more easily no matter where in my sleep cycle I was when the alarm went off. To use this, though, you really have to know what you wake to (and don't), and what the length of your sleep cycle is.

RJ

HelloHello
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

25 Jul 2007, 5:53 am

A middle age, plump woman was unpacking/loading a family van. Little children were running around while the auntie was throwing dirty clothes from the van on a heap so she could later wash them. The kids were the first to spot the reptile, a medium lizard with black-brown scales. An altogether normal, placid looking reptile.

The lizard was having as much fun as the little children, scurrying and sliding in the grass and jumping ff the clothes so he could dodge being covered with the falling clothes. Children were enthralled as this lizard had its own personality quite unlike the skinks they normally see: this lizard looked as if he was doing a bebop dance!

The auntie was discussing some startling news with the other adults; it seemed as if people had been going missing in the town. Of particular concern was the disappearance of three little boys. There had been search parties sent out to look for the boys, as the town was surrounded by a number of creeks, bogs and thick scrub. There was no trace of the boys.

A younger woman, a cousin of the children, was watching this scene unfold with vague amusement. She was perplexed as to why the children were so interested in the lizard when they could be watching the gum trees sway in the midsummer breeze, as she was. She thought, "Why did children have to be interested in overly animated things, when there is a world of wonder in tree tops." What really struck her as bizarre was how the auntie was soon involved and began watching the lizard with the same cherry fascination. Everyone was giggling and jolly, until the uncle announced to the circle crowding the lizard it was time to go. "Leave the lizard in peace!"

The auntie then hurried the little children in to the van and picked up the clothes. She whisked the lizard off, all the while the younger woman was still watching the lizard perplexed as to why it hadn't shown the typical reptilian skittishness and ran away. The lizard seemed to be just an active participant as the young girl, watching, studying and evaluating her. "Hurry up", yelled the uncle so she also hopped into the van.

The family begun to see the lizards more often and some even ventured into the home. No one became annoyed with these forays because the whole town was in high spirits. Everyone had seemingly forgotten about the missing boys of last summer.

The young woman increasingly found these lizards a pest. They crawled on her books, and didn't do anything about the cockroaches in the house. Something struck her as artificial, as if the lizards weren't performing for fun. It didn't seem as if being content and playful were their real temperaments. Nothing specific stood out to her about the lizards, but she sensed something was amiss.

Her annoyance with the lizards began to mount into aggravation when she discovered them everywhere. One audacious lizard even sat himself upon her pillow. "That's it, I've tolerated this for long enough," and proceeded to try to capture him in a glass jar and when the jar failed she then employed an ice cream container to similar letdown.

Generally she was tolerate of bugs and creepy crawlies so long as they did their thing and she hers. Cockroaches annoyed everyone but not her. These lizards were different though. She wasn't even sure there were lizards: everyone had experienced the playfulness of the lizards but no one saw more then one in the same room at a same time.

One day the young woman was exploring the bush surrounding her suburban backyard, as she enjoyed listening to the gum trees rustle and the kookaburras sing. It relaxed her and she could get some peace from the constant brightness of the town, which she instinctively felt was tied to the presence of the lizards. Over the last two weeks, the loving was so excessive that no one argued anymore, no one squabbled and she couldn't object to anything without a confused glare. She was accused of being the only grumble-bum in the whole town; she was the one ruining everyone's fun!

She made her way through the scrub to a secluded, shallow dam she often visited. Looking into the water she was amazed at how clear it was, as it had rained a few days before. Her big toe was flirting with the water and she was relaxed. As she settled on the bank; she saw nothing, a flawless depth.

She looked deeper and then groped her way back up the bank. There were three young boys under the water! Nothing was disturbed about them; they were not cut or battered. The seemed to be sleeping, in a similar fashion to how Kylie was in Nick Cave's song (minus the bleeding head). She had discovered the missing boys!

A few seconds later she collected her thoughts and realized there was a lizard, similar to the ones about town, swimming around the boys, lapping up their submerged lifelessness as well as preserving their serenity. The sole lizard was gliding around the boys like a snake, beautiful and venomous all at once.

Yet there was no threat so long as she sat on the bank and watched him swirl but she knew if she dared stick her hand in to stroke the boys' hair.

Back at the family home she too had forgotten and the discovery of the intertwined boys had faded. She was aware of the lizard's plan, yet she couldn't figure out where this misgiving stemmed from. She just knew as soon as she saw one in the flesh she had to trap it, stop it!

Auntie had gotten Henny Penny for dinner: a treat for the family as well as chance for her to have a night off from cooking. The young girl's favorite meal was baked vegetables with chicken and gravy and coleslaw and she was looking forward to digging in after such a long day of contemplation.

She had always hated frozen pies because they seemed artificial and you could never know what was in them. Something struck her as odd when her auntie brought out a plate with all the Henny Penny sides, minus the chicken. When she started to eat the pie and make small talk about heartiness of a pie she normally loathed, the feeling of incongruity lingered. She felt bizarre and hypocritical, yet still dug into the pie. She went to pour sauce on the pie, then realised the sauce was built into the pie and came seeping out, like blood.

"Look, a lizard, he wants pie too!", cried one of the cousins with glee.

Fear swept the young woman's face as she meekly asked, "What happened to the chicken?"

"Oh I feed it to the lizard."

"What? WHAT? The whole chicken?"

Innocently dumbfounded at her niece's tone, "He was hungry."

"You idiot, if you feed it he will staaaaaaaay!" The young woman cried as she raced into the small kitchen to see if the lizard was still inside his assigned ice cream box.

A million questions and possibilities raced through the girl's mind as she ran.
"How could auntie capture the lizard when she had failed?"
"How could a small lizard eat a WHOLE chicken?"
"Why do lizards like pies?"
Worried the lizard would grow and takeover the house, the young woman tried to capture the lizard again, and when she finally did, she tried so hard to keep him caged. She tried to ignore his singing, it's lying joy, and the repeating entreats to "free him" she heard from the lizard, her family and herself. Sticky tap, hammers and lids all failed. She felt the lizard was escaping, even though he was still sitting contently in the container on top of his mauled chicken bones. He wasn't a carnivore though. It was as if he was mocking her.

He was not a cankerous serpent and no one understood her wrath and horror, not even herself. She managed to transport him from a glass jar he reappeared in and back into an ice-cream container. "Get off me c**t!" she hissed at her uncle, as she sliced the lizard.

Before the lizard could bleed, or put itself back together as she feared, I woke up...

Koldune
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

Location: At the tree from whither come the roots of which no one knows

25 Jul 2007, 7:50 am

The best I've been able to do at will in dreamtime is levitate occasionally. The result can be something between jumping and flying or gliding—rather like walking in seven-league boots. Attempt to control what's happening in dreams beyond that haven't worked well.

I've tried waking astral projection, too, without a great deal of success. I've only managed it once that I think I can definitely point out, and that was by accident. I was nearly asleep. It felt like I stood up from my bed and walked with difficulty through the room (the air seemed thick, like gelatin), only to find myself suddenly still laying in bed. I've yet to be able to duplicate it.

?E. Weatherwax
Pro te ipso faciete. (Do for yourself.)

Spaceplayer
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

25 Jul 2007, 9:03 am

Not in a long time, but it's an incredible experience.

Icarus_Falling
everyman antihero
everyman antihero

25 Jul 2007, 3:55 pm

HelloHello wrote:
Before the lizard could bleed, or put itself back together as she feared, I woke up...

That's some powerful mojo; you dream Stephen King novels. I've always somewhy believed that Australia has a powerful connection with the Dreamlands. The indigenous Australians know about it. H.P. Lovecraft wrote about it. It caused a movie to come about.

I hope that the next time you have this dream, you're able to pull yourself back together, and escape from the ice-cream container before the meddlesome girl is able to cut you again. Clever use of the boys' life force to subjugate the other humans; find a way to eliminate the meddlesome girl, and you should be able to maintain complete control of the humans, and exist in peace.

Good fortune,

- Icarus

HelloHello
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

26 Jul 2007, 5:39 am

Icarus_Falling wrote:
HelloHello wrote:

That's some powerful mojo; you dream Stephen King novels. I've always somewhy believed that Australia has a powerful connection with the Dreamlands. The indigenous Australians know about it. H.P. Lovecraft wrote about it. It caused a movie to come about.

I hope that the next time you have this dream, you're able to pull yourself back together, and escape from the ice-cream container before the meddlesome girl is able to cut you again. Clever use of the boys' life force to subjugate the other humans; find a way to eliminate the meddlesome girl, and you should be able to maintain complete control of the humans, and exist in peace.

Good fortune,

- Icarus

It was suggested to me that I should change my means of living, after someone read that. I don't have repetitive dreams.

I totally agree with your thoughts about Aboriginal Dreaming.

One problem though... that young woman was me. The lizard could be anything, a phallic symbol, an emblem of deep desire or drives... I think the lizard was something I had to get rid of, otherwise I would have morned his death. Why did I think he was a sinister he? I'm an instinctive person, and if I hadn't been unconsciously distrusting of the lizard(s) presence in the town and consciously happy like everyone else, then it would have been more likely the lizard was a part of me. However, from the get go I was uneased by him and repulsed. He was one, and he was external.

Icarus_Falling
everyman antihero
everyman antihero

26 Jul 2007, 6:01 pm

HelloHello wrote:
One problem though... that young woman was me.

I got that; when you first mentioned the girl watching the gum trees swaying, I thought that was probably you.

I was jesting, partly to throw you a loop as feeble payback for you for "yelling" at me for rambling in the girls locker room. :wink: [Your use of those two emoticons [twisted evil + laughing] left me a bit perplexed as to the actual tone of your message.] And partly to see how you'd react. And, partly because the notion of the dream coming from the skink, and the skink subjugating humans was morbidly amusing to me. And, partly because I take a twisted pleasure in coming at things sideways, knowing full well I am doing so. And partly because dreams are my playthings, and you gave me such a wonderful sandbox to play in by portraying the dream in the third person; I find it interesting that you did that. I could go on, but I wouldn't want to ramble...

I sincerely enjoyed your dream, disturbing though it was; thank you for sharing; I hereby promote you to Kindred Sprit. Sharp instincts are a wonderful thing; you have a gift. I find it interesting that you don't have repetitive dreams; does this mean you specifically don't have the same dream twice? [Neither do I, for the most part, but I know folks who do, and their dreams often haunt them.] Or that, in the context of this dream, have never had a dream along those lines more than once? [Watching the gum trees, skinks, missing children, eating chicken and being creeped out by pie, etc.] And did you, in fact, listen to your dream [assuming the suggested interpretation contained any truth] and change your means of living? I ask because I've "listened" to my dreams before, and more than once this has ended up opening interesting doors for me that otherwise I would never have even knocked on.

TO ALL my fellow oneironauts : I've changed the subject of this thread to include vivid dreams in addition to just lucid dreams; a few [including myself] have posted about some very interesting non-lucid dreams; I hope others who enjoy this topic will share their interesting dreams here.

Sweet dreams,

- Icarus

RainSong
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2007, 7:03 pm

I have lucid dreams quite often. I almost always know I'm dreaming; my dreams are too odd to be waking life. If for some reason I actually have to question, I just think about it. For instance, the last one I had to question was about gardening with a friend. Theoretically, it could have happened, but there were a couple of problems that I noticed after a few minutes: the sky was extremely dark (thunderstorms galore), but the rest of the scene was very bright, almost an orange color. Also, I was entirely unsure of when said (long distance( friend got there, and where the heck I was throughout the entire planning proccess - I'm quite sure I would have noticed. I was all ready questioning (ha, I suppose I hoped it was real), but what sealed it was the fox that ran by - I remembered talking about foxes earlier that day, and I often drag elements of waking life into my dreams.

The control I have over my dreams seems to be fairly limited, however. I can take them away from somewhere that I don't want to be, but I usually can't really control where they'll go in leaving. There have been occasions where the dreams went from bad to worse, and by the time it hit worse, I seemed to no longer have control, although I did still realize that I was dreaming.

With a good amount of concentration, I can make my dreams go somewhere where I want to go or do something that I want to do. Usually though that kind of seperates me from the dream... I'm still sleeping and dreaming, but there's almost a tangiable veil in between the dream and me. It becomes fuzzy and abstract; normally I switch to third person viewing. The details are entirely gone. It also seems to shorten the dream; I wake up soon after.

With just as much concentration, I can wake myself up mid-dream. I rarely do that; it leaves me tired and usually unable to get back to sleep. Honestly, I'll only do it in the case of a rather extreme nightmare; only two instances come to mind at the moment.

Then there are dreams that are almost in layers. I can be in multiple places at once, doing multiple things, with completely different intentions and emotions, yet it's still only one dream (as far as I know). They just switch or overlap. I may have control over one of the levels there, but not all of them. (I would post an example, but it's fairly, um, creepy, and this post is long by now anyway...)

There are some, rather rarer occasions when I don't seem to have control over my dreams... Usually, this is because one of two things:
1.) I'm following the old family trait of (honestly) dreaming what will actually happen... Those are getting rarer now (thank goodness); both my mother and my aunt said that they went away completely when they were a little older than I am now. It's not gone yet - last night I realized I was doing exactly what I had dreamed a month before, and it's always a weird feeling... Like deja vu, but it's not.
2.) I don't want control; I'll let some interesting dreams go by themselves.
3.) The part of me (yes, there are parts) that's controlling is not doing such a great job, so the rest of me takes away the right.

Honestly, all of the dreams I can remember have been in color; I've never had a dream (that I can recall) in black and white. I would be interesting in having one, just to see what it's like...

Three years!