Has anyone been diagnosed with anything like retardation

Page 2 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

gamefreak
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2007, 2:36 pm

richie wrote:
When I was kid I went through one kind of psychiatric/psychological evaluation after another.
People thought I was ret*d because I wasn't speaking at an age when most kids can make
full sentences, there was talk of having me placed in an institution such as Willowbrook.
Eventually I learned to speak and I developed most of the necessary skills for living.

I've been through this topic before:
richie wrote:
foreignwoman wrote:
Hello! I also thought I was weird, not in touch with my feelings, frustrated about not being able to connect to people and not knowing why, was called a freak as well at times, and rather hurt by that :-), didn't think of myself as shy but others did so things just didn't add up :-) Now luckily they do, for me at least. In the workplace people are also a bit mystified, still saying I'm not a good communicator but at least I'm an effective communicator (so I still don't see what the problem is :-) ) But anyway, the struggle to be accepted continues, it just doesn't drain me so much anymore.

I was described as "ret*d", "Brain damaged", or just "different" by many people when I was growing up.
I was always acting silly or "shutting down", I had (and still have) bad motor coordination, stereotypical
motor habits, emotional and mental "meltdowns", and many sensory issues and other co-morbidities,
(ie: tactile hypersensitivity, migraines and bowel problems). Yet I learned to read before the other
students. I excelled in taking math and science exams, but slow in everything else. I was constantly
bullied by classmates. I survived, I graduated high school, learned a trade, got a job, but I was always
the Outsider looking in. I first learned about Asperger Syndrome, and "Higher Functioning" Autism
through various science journals, through WikiPedia I found out about WrongPlanet.
After forty something years I found a home.
By the way Foreignwoman, acceptance among the "normals" and "Neuro-Typicals" is overrated.
"WrongPlanet" is the "Right Address". Welcome!

http://www.wrongplanet.net/modules.php? ... ht=#617364
http://www.wrongplanet.net/modules.php? ... ht=#452181
http://www.wrongplanet.net/modules.php? ... ht=#452397
http://www.wrongplanet.net/modules.php? ... ht=#452511
http://www.wrongplanet.net/modules.php? ... ht=#496788
http://www.wrongplanet.net/modules.php? ... ht=#512898

Funny question, the state of Florida wanted to put me in Assisted Living. Then my mom and my Grandpa got really furious and nearly cursed out the person at the
Department Of Human Services. Lucky the case was won and the state minded there buisness. In 5th grade got diagnosed with Savant Syndrom and Classic Autism and 6th grade the Department of Defense [My Middle School was on a military base.] said my I.Q as 140 and dianosed me with Aspergers.

frankwah
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

28 Jul 2007, 8:13 pm

I've never been diagnosed with retardation, but several people have considered or at least have implied me as stupid. The people who know me know that I'm not stupid. But the impressions people get of me is that they either think I'm very smart or very dumb. It's never somewhere between.

richardbenson
Xfractor Card #351
Xfractor Card #351

28 Jul 2007, 8:20 pm

no, but my general iq is rather low. even though in some areas it is high. i did have problems when i was born so who knows

Futurama91
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

29 Jul 2007, 2:18 pm

When I was in kindergarten or 1st grade, the school insisted that I be tested to se if I was ret*d. They wanted to put me in special classes. At that time I was having seizures frequently and I was taking some pretty serious medications. I was also having petit mals, so I no doubt seemed spaced out.

Well, just like several of you, they tested me and found out that I was quite smart. So they didn't put me in those classes. I went to 8 more schools after that and they never brought it up again.

I wish I could read those test results.

I took 2 IQ tests on line, and they both said flattering things, but they would, right? Because they want me to buy stuff.

Now I swear I am getting stupider.

2ukenkerl
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2007, 2:50 pm

Futurama91 wrote:
I took 2 IQ tests on line, and they both said flattering things, but they would, right? Because they want me to buy stuff.

Now I swear I am getting stupider.

the online ones may be kind of biased(at least one uses some book quotes that may not be popular or famous), are short, and may be incomplete. I doubt they are changing their text, etc... to get you to buy anything.

As for swearing you are getting dumber? JOIN THE CLUB! NOW, I find that there are times where current science says people DO lose potential. People generally have a lot of surplus, so others may not notice it, but you may be slower, learn slower, and lose the ability to look at things a certain way, etc... A lot of autistics speak of losing potential between 8 and 10. It turns out that is one of the times. 8-(

gamefreak
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2007, 1:24 pm

Though i was undiagnosed in 5th grade they still put me in special classes. Just this
school year [10th Grade] they put me in all normal classes accept for Math. [My Algebra skills are near ret*d but my other math skills are pretty good.] Though
i do miss my ESE classes. At least in there i made friends. Right now i have 3 friends.
All of them have Autism, ADHD, or are just diifferent. [ This includes my girlfriend
who is bipolor and a aspie w/ ADHD.]