chat rooms always propel at light speed

Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

Are chat rooms too fast to adequately communicate your responses or questions?
yes 69%  69%  [ 9 ]
no 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Yes, they are too fast to be able to respond. 31%  31%  [ 4 ]
Yes, they are too fast to ask questions. 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 13

spacedog
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

26 Jul 2007, 6:44 pm

I find every time I try to use a chat room I can not really participate, due to the fast pace of chat. I try to stay within the topics voiced or try to be intriguing in the romantic chat rooms, but everybody seems to enter and leave with a swoosh. I am trying to start dating again after many years of hiatus and was hoping technology could give a little help since I can communicate my thoughts and feelings more easily by typing them out. Does anyone else have a hard time keeping up with the fast pace of chat rooms?

faithfilly
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2007, 7:07 pm

They are too fast for deep discussions, but for small talk maybe they're not. I have my own private chat room for chatting privately by appointment, but no one likes to do things by appointment. I think I may have achieved my first appointment with someone to meet in an hour (not an aspie or someone of the opposite sex...just an acquaintance I hope to share my faith with to become friends).

krex
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2007, 8:44 pm

You might try going into the chat room at later hours.Many aspies tend to be late nighters,so you are more likely to find a kindred spirit at that time(or a psychopath who has insomnia.)That is the only time I could keep up in them or have anything close to an"in depth discussion".I dont "do" group dynamics,I'm a one on one type person and could occassionally find someone else to chat with at 2 or 3am.

I tried the WP chat but it was much to fast and to "slangy" for me to follow along.It kind of sucked because I could tell there were some nice an interesting people there that I would have liked to talk to but the format was just to over whelming.It doesnt help that I right these long meandering monologues,either.I can never seem to complete a thought in less then 30 word sentences.I type pretty fast but people dont tend to read that fast and get annoied.(Have I annoid you yet,lol?)

Good luck.I prefer PM's because I can come and go and take as long as I want composing my message.

Visit my wool sculpture blog
http://eyesoftime.blogspot.com/

Grim
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

27 Jul 2007, 8:28 am

I can't participate in chat rooms. I am not sure why. I guess I just do not know what to say, is it weird to still be shy online? :oops:

faithfilly
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2007, 8:56 am

Grim wrote:
I guess I just do not know what to say, is it weird to still be shy online? :oops:

No, not at all. It isn't easy for some people to know what to say, especially with lots of experience at being misunderstood.

spacedog
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

27 Jul 2007, 11:47 am

Faithfully... My small talk is sorely lacking. The most I can muster in a few seconds are comments on the weather, or what I had for a meal. Almost every other sentence I make there is about a two and a half minute delay. To even start this post, I had to edit it eight times, and spell check before I was satisfied I stated my question accurately.

Krex...You have not annoyed me. I will try your recommendation of going in late in the evening. BTW when I was young I had to ask for food and drinks by the appropriate name. Examples: Could you please pass the Heinz ketchup...May I have some more Coca Cola( not pop, soda). I have always been long winded in person or when composing essays, research, speeches. Unfortunately, if I try to shorten my answers or compositions people usually have a hard time understanding what I am saying. So, either they ignore my answers altogether, or ask two part questions, when I can only remember the first question.

Grim...you are not the only one, I am shy in all avenues of life and was very hesitant to even start this new post due to usually when I post to a thread there are no new responses.

Thank You, everyone for posting. Post again, if you have an experience in a chat room that you would like to share where you wanted to respond to interesting subjects, but were unable to do so due to the fast pace or your delay in response.

Zara
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2007, 2:45 pm

From my experience in chat rooms...

Yes, they do go fast. Often I don't have enough time to think of my response and type it out. Add to that my absolute need to fix any typos I make while trying to type fast.

I can do chat, IM, but I still prefer regular messaging and e-mail for ease of use.

faithfilly
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2007, 3:08 pm

spacedog wrote:
Faithfully... My small talk is sorely lacking. The most I can muster in a few seconds are comments on the weather, or what I had for a meal. Almost every other sentence I make there is about a two and a half minute delay. To even start this post, I had to edit it eight times, and spell check before I was satisfied I stated my question accurately.

I am just like you. I can't do small talk and never could. I dive in the 'deep end' when I chat and either scare people away or get them mad at me. I've had to change how I think. What I once thought of as being something negative, I know perceive it as positive: Skipping small talk gets me connected immediately to others of my own kind (if there are any around that is).

I do understand about how annoying editing is (how would you know how many times I've edited this?). A challenge for me is when the post window reveals editing being done after submitting. It's like being punished for all the editing work done in secret. :lol:

spacedog
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

28 Jul 2007, 12:14 am

Ditto...I am the edit extraordinaire. Thank you for posting. I went to another chat room on a different site earlier and person asked me to flirt. (romance chat room)
I told them I did not know how ... then I tried to comply. The ending is no mystery...the person wrote something about like be careful or something. The others in the room seemed put off by their comments. I just said good bye and backed out of the room. I won't try that again for a good while.

ghostgurl
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2007, 5:20 pm

Sometimes it can be. I don't really like chat rooms much. When they talk about something I'm interested in I'll type a sentence or two, but it doesn't really feel like I'm included. Then I just end up watching the chat. I never know how to break into these things.

spacedog
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

28 Jul 2007, 7:26 pm

:) Thank You, for posting ghostgurl. I think, perhaps I require a sledge hammer to break into chat room conversations.