What do you do when someone asks you how old you are?

Page 2 of 2 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Irulan
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2007, 7:28 am

I can't help but I must ask every time: "how old do I look like"? I am always very interested how other people perceive me. I'm 23 but once when I asked my mother about this she told me that I look as if I was 5 years younger. Mostly, I think, because I'm very slim.

edal
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2007, 8:18 am

I tell 'em. Fifty, half a century, the big five-oh.

Nothing to hide.

Ed Almos

Graelwyn
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2007, 8:21 am

I just tell them.
Dont see the big deal about it.

Zelasyma
Butterfly
Butterfly

27 Jul 2007, 10:17 am

This is a real sore spot for me. I look a lot younger than I am, and no one can explain why. When I was in college the city bus driver assumed I was in middle school. I don't think I act young nor am I short or small, or dress young, etc. Even at work people comment on how they can't take me seriously because I look like a teenager - despite being dressed professionally, etc. When I went shopping for work clothes (in my mid-20's), the sales lady asked me if I wanted a gift receipt. I told her they were for me, and she was shocked, saying someone my age should shop in the kid's section. Like I said, I'm not short or small so I don't understand why people say these things. I think MAYBE it's because I'm so nervous in public because of anxiety that I give off the impression of immaturity.

I think the worst part was when I was pregnant and in the hospital, I overheard a nurse talking about how it's a shame kids are having babies younger and younger, and how "the girl in that bed (ME) can't be more than 12 or 13" - yeah, try adding more than a decade to that.

So I usually am all too happy to tell people my real age, and then brace myself for the "I never would have guessed" speeches.

pluto
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2007, 10:38 am

Although I'm 47 I look younger (was mistaken for 27 recently ). In order to dampen people's surprise at my age,I sometimes say `I'm around the same age as George Clooney'

mechanima
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2007, 11:40 am

Well I looked 22 when I was 14, then 35 since I was 18...so I always used to say I was older, till I was 30 or so...

These days...well I still looked 35 when I brushed my teeth this morning so I tend to proudly announce that I am ALMOST 50 - nobody believes me anyway...even if I pull out my passport and SHOW them...

I do have this curious tendency to "get used to" the next birthday 6 months in advance.

M

Mishcana
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

27 Jul 2007, 12:41 pm

I never get mistaken for the same age;

When I was 14, people thought I was 10 or 21 (If I was reading, it was always 21 or high because of the book)
When I was 19, I had to pull out I.D. to prove I wasn't a grade 9, and was actually a post grad on spare. Also to prove to a grade 9 guy who was interested that no, I wasn't 16.

Now that I'm 24 people mistake me for 18-19 or 26. I think getting over my obsession with pokemon helped the age jump a bit. :p

Tempy
Toucan
Toucan

27 Jul 2007, 12:46 pm

I answer inane questions like that depending if i have a good day or a bad one

on a good day i just say the # and smile blandly, if I remember to smile.

on a bad day I ignore the person altogether, or get mad and start calling my gf so she can make them go away before I bop them

juliekitty
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2007, 6:37 pm

I tell the truth, because the surprised reactions feed my ego. :)