Stopped by the police twice due to AS!

Page 1 of 2 [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Lightning88
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2007, 9:19 pm

Anubis wrote:
Lightning88 wrote:
lol I'll shop just about anywhere as long as I like the outfits, but I do prefer places like Saks!

Well, that's not the only time they've done this. About a year ago, my mom and I were looking at the map at the same mall and the security questioned us the same way. Are you not allowed to look at the maps or something? lol

Rather daft, isn't that what maps are for in the first place? :roll: :roll: :roll:

It's just harmlessly searching for something, not as if looking at the map contributes to some terrorist conspiracy.

Yeah, and it's not like I'm a huge threat. :roll: They're just proof that the police system is going straight down the toilet. I don't know how it is over there, but the police here are pretty much all idiots.

Anubis
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2007, 9:21 pm

Here's another question- do NTs sometimes mistake law abiding aspies to be under the influence of certain recreational drugs? Probably so, which is a shame. I don't want to be associated with such crap.

kclark
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

30 Jul 2007, 12:04 pm

I get asked what I have been smoking sometimes and if I can share some. Probably due to my long, wild hippie like hair and my frequent stares at nothing. Plus my constant desire for munchies, hey I got an active metabolism. I have never done any recreational drugs.

AspieDoug
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

30 Jul 2007, 1:35 pm

Anubis wrote:
Here's another question- do NTs sometimes mistake law abiding aspies to be under the influence of certain recreational drugs? Probably so, which is a shame. I don't want to be associated with such crap.

I have had quite a few NT's over the years ask me if I was "high" or "on something". I wasn't. I just look "odd", and I'd give it about a 99% chance that it is the Asperger's that does it.

The police.....That's always a problem for me. I got pulled over for driving too fast. Okay, I was in the wrong, but the officer really went off on me, especially when I couldn't answer his questions as quickly as he wanted.

I was already stressed with the lights flashing and the other drivers starrring as they drove past. Asking me questions at a rapid pace that I can't keep up with due to the sensory overload pushed me over the edge. I just shut down mentally, and this only infuriated the cop all the more.

I had a similiar encounter with an officer when some kids vandalized my home years ago. I was the one who was treated like a suspect, and again, it was because under stress, I often have a hard time forming words and speaking coherently.

My Dr. made a laminated card for me that says "I have Asperger's Syndrome, an autism spectrum disorder. Please help me by being patient". The card proceeds to explain what my challenges are. I hope that will help in the future....if people even bother to read it and consider what it says and means. :roll:

Greentea
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2007, 1:55 pm

Doug, that is SO sweet of your doctor ! !! !

Cyanide
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2007, 2:53 pm

Anubis wrote:

People have seriously thought I was on cocaine.

Fraya
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2007, 4:42 pm

2ukenkerl wrote:
In the case of some stores like victorias secret, being female is ANOTHER part of the profile.

Of course the alternative is being male and walking into a victorias secret.. I think they have SWAT on speed dial for those occasions.

Don't do anything at all
-----------
"White Rabbit" - Jefferson Airplane

2ukenkerl
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2007, 7:00 pm

Fraya wrote:
2ukenkerl wrote:
In the case of some stores like victorias secret, being female is ANOTHER part of the profile.

Of course the alternative is being male and walking into a victorias secret.. I think they have SWAT on speed dial for those occasions.

You might have a point. :?

Alicorn
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

30 Jul 2007, 8:02 pm

Fraya wrote:
2ukenkerl wrote:

Oh! You've just reminded me that I've been wanting to get a part-time job there.

I think I'll drop by the mall before work tomorrow and ask for an aplication.

8O

2ukenkerl
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2007, 8:22 pm

Lightning88 wrote:
Anubis wrote:
Lightning88 wrote:
lol I'll shop just about anywhere as long as I like the outfits, but I do prefer places like Saks!

Well, that's not the only time they've done this. About a year ago, my mom and I were looking at the map at the same mall and the security questioned us the same way. Are you not allowed to look at the maps or something? lol

Rather daft, isn't that what maps are for in the first place? :roll: :roll: :roll:

It's just harmlessly searching for something, not as if looking at the map contributes to some terrorist conspiracy.

Yeah, and it's not like I'm a huge threat. :roll: They're just proof that the police system is going straight down the toilet. I don't know how it is over there, but the police here are pretty much all idiots.

At least my runins with the police in indiana is FAR better than california! In california, I was even once threatened by a police officer, they harrassed me, etc... In indiana I had ONE talk with a police officer. He pointed out that my cars tags were VERY out of date, asked me to renew them. The BMV got me NEW tags to save me a lot of money. BTW The TSA makes the police look like EINSTEINS by comparison!

AspieDoug
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

31 Jul 2007, 8:05 pm

Greentea wrote:
Doug, that is SO sweet of your doctor ! !! !

She's been wonderful. I really got lucky in finding her.

I feel a little better when I am out and about driving now that I have that card. If someone took the time to read it and comprehend what it says, it could be a big help to me.

Greentea
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2007, 12:27 pm

She sounds wonderful and so do you :)

AspieDoug
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

02 Aug 2007, 7:08 pm

Greentea wrote:
She sounds wonderful and so do you :)

Thank you my friend. You're kind. :)