anyone considering enlisting in the military?

Page 4 of 4 [ 61 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Metalwolf
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2008, 9:07 am

velodog wrote:
Metalwolf wrote:
I am curious, is it possible for me to go back into the Army? I was able to complete basic training, but didn't finish AIT (Advanced Individual Training) but got hospitalised with Depression and was Honerably discharged. I was later diagnosed by two seperate doctors as having Asperger's Syndrome and I am wondering if this will keep me from ever being reinlisted. I was hospitalised again for depression twice more, so i wonder if I can or cannot ever go back again.

That would depend in part on the separation code on your DD214.
Where can I find that on the DD214?

velodog
Gold Supporter
Gold Supporter

07 Apr 2008, 9:18 am

Metalwolf wrote:
velodog wrote:
Metalwolf wrote:
I am curious, is it possible for me to go back into the Army? I was able to complete basic training, but didn't finish AIT (Advanced Individual Training) but got hospitalised with Depression and was Honerably discharged. I was later diagnosed by two seperate doctors as having Asperger's Syndrome and I am wondering if this will keep me from ever being reinlisted. I was hospitalised again for depression twice more, so i wonder if I can or cannot ever go back again.

That would depend in part on the separation code on your DD214.
Where can I find that on the DD214?

On mine it's in the lower right hand corner 2 lines up from the bottom as Reenlistment Code. If you take that info to a Recruiting Office they could help you out. If it's RE1 you could automatically go back in.

curiouslittleboy
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

07 Apr 2008, 11:04 am

No...way...

yesplease
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2008, 7:11 am

The Navy bombarded me with pamphlets after I got my BSc in math but since I dislike killing, or even helping out with the potential for killing, I didn't spring for it. My grandfather, who recieved the Purple Heart and Bronze Star in WWII also doesn't have a high opinion of conflict, which undoubtedly colored my perception. That being said, something like the Peace Corp seemed great to me, and I would like to do it some time in the future when I don't have as many pressing familial obligations.

zeichner
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

14 Sep 2008, 12:14 pm

I was in the US Army from 1984 to 1991 (got out when the stop-loss ended, just after the first Gulf War.) I was in the band - the last five years, stationed in Belgium with an international military jazz band. There was no diagnosis for AS back then - but it was obvious to everyone that my wiring was a bit different.

First of all, you have to get through basic training - I think it's probably still about 8 weeks long. You have to learn to make eye contact & stand perfectly still for long periods of time. There is an extreme emphasis on physical tasks - lots of push-ups, sit-ups & especially, RUNNING. On the plus side, EVERY situation has a protocol - the rules are very easy to learn (they are almost always written down, where you can study them.) You usually get one chance to screw up in any given situation (more, if you can demonstrate that you are trying.) Others have to ask your permission before they can touch you (although they can & will get VERY CLOSE - in your face.)

Once basic is over, it gets much easier. AIT (Advanced Individual Training) - the next part of your initial training, where you will learn your specialty - can be quite relaxed (comparatively.) There is an emphasis on inspections (everything from the uniform you are wearing, to the clothes hanging in your closet, to the floor of your room) and your proficiency at doing your job. It's a total meritocracy.

Once you actually arrive at your post, it's a job like any other. Some people won't get along with you & others will.

The greatest thing about the military, is that it's all about the rules. Learn the rules (as I said, they are written down for you), understand the rules (you can ask your supervisor), follow the rules & you will do well as an enlisted person.

I often think I should have stayed in for 13 more years - life in the military certainly appealed to me. But then I think about having to find a job at the age of 46, with no civilian contacts & no real social skills... Well, suffice to say that I needed those 13 years to get where I am today in the civilian world (stable job, in a non-music field.)

gsilver
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2008, 12:21 pm

I continue to find myself thinking on-and-off of joining as an officer in either the air force or navy.

I guess it's a matter of finding a job that I like.

I really don't want to be tied to a desk, though, and the military could probably offer that.

I want to see the world, learn how to respect myself and others, have a social network, feel good about what I do and the impact it makes (which, in the military can be the antithesis of this if we're fighting an unjust war), and just basically feel like i've accomplished something.

zeichner
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

14 Sep 2008, 1:06 pm

Obviously, I can't speak from first-hand experience - since I was enlisted - but when I was in the Army, officers seemed to get a lot of pressure to be socially active. They were "highly encouraged" (military-speak for "required for promotion") to get involved in community activities. And it was extremely rare for an officer to attain the rank of Major, or higher, without being married (officers' wives are EXTREMELY important to their career - at least in the US military - at least that was my perception.)

nightchild
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

14 Sep 2008, 3:37 pm

I wanted to join the Wave's (woman's navy back in the 1970s) when I got out of high school bascially to get away from home because I was too scared to do it any other way. It probably would have been a mistake since I can't handle being around groups of people all the time. But my father wouldn't give permission and in those days girls had to have parents' permission until they were 21 but boys could join when they were 18.

Now that I am in my 50s, I think all people out of high school should do some kind of service for their country, but why does it have to be out learning to kill other people? In my opinion, over 50% of the military could be discontinued and we could still defend our country if necessary.

Tahitiii
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2009, 10:37 am

Hi, all.

I'm looking for people with military background. If you know how this stuff works, please visit "I live in hell..." http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt96283.html

misswoofalot
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2009, 7:45 am

I used to want to be in the army, but I never had the fitness. I was in army cadets, I loved shooting, I loved the rules. I loved the discepline. I loved the fact you didn't have to talk much, your actions were important. I loved stratgising. I loved camping. It was great.

I wish there was an army that didn't belong to the government.

MrKnott
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

17 May 2009, 1:00 pm

I was okay in the army, because I knew what to expect. In fact, years later, when Forest Gump came out, family members thought parts of it were suggested by my life! I was pretty good when there were no distractions--plus the repetition and monotony were right up my street. But when I was in the reserves, things got very difficult, I couldn't go from college student to soldier and back again; I had too much time to think; it didn't end well---I got out just in time. I don't think I could have gone above e-4 anyway. By the way many of the guys that I saw screw up (usually in basic) seemed to have aspie traits. I cannot tell you how hard it was for me to cover up my poor motor skills, and low muscle tone; but, again I had no distractions, no choice, and I was very scared. The best moment was when I was promoted to e-2 in basic, made solidier of the day (not cycle, for sure), mostly because I never got into trouble and was able to "sound off." Only one drill sgt., from another platoon in the company had me figured out: "If you're the best we have, he told me, "the Russians are going to carrying off my sister in two months." My MOS was smoke generator operator, likely the worst job in the service, and later tank crew member.

kbergren21
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

19 May 2009, 7:54 pm

Well Im in the officer shoes and if you are not a pilot its pretty much a desk job and solving personnel problems... You have no free will and very little opinion. The only part of the job thats "not a desk" is when you lead your flight for physical training in the mornings... Sadly this is just about the only part of my duty I like ;).

If you do a term being an officer you pretty much have dibs on any civil service job you are qualified for.

gsilver wrote:
I continue to find myself thinking on-and-off of joining as an officer in either the air force or navy.

I guess it's a matter of finding a job that I like.

I really don't want to be tied to a desk, though, and the military could probably offer that.

I want to see the world, learn how to respect myself and others, have a social network, feel good about what I do and the impact it makes (which, in the military can be the antithesis of this if we're fighting an unjust war), and just basically feel like i've accomplished something.

Michjo
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2009, 11:34 am

As far as i'm aware, the army won't accept anyone with a diagnosis of aspergers.

Quote:
We learned from the Russians mistakes and moved the main battle to Iraq.

You mean moving the battle to a neutral country with abundant oil that had just changed it's reserve currency from the dollar to the euro? You need to start reading a bit of history.