Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

BeautyWithin
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

06 Aug 2007, 1:11 am

My son (3 yrs old) is doing really well and making lots of progress with just about everything. I've only just noticed that he walks in straight lines whenever there are visible tiles or lines on the floor. He'll pick a line and follow it.

I recently carried him to a drop-in program for pre-school soccer and he completely ignored the ball and instead did (rectangular) laps by following the outline of the field. Normally he enjoys playing ball, so I was hoping that it would have kept his attention.

How can I distract him enough so that he can deviate from the lines?

MrMark
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2007, 5:33 am

Personally, I wouldn't worry about it. I still do that some, I just try not to be too obvious about it. :)

- Emerson

lola1
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

06 Aug 2007, 5:51 am

My son does this occassionally and it's usually when he's in a new environment. It's not something I've ever worried about as he'll do it for a little while then next time he goes back to the same place he's more at ease and the 'line walking' doesn't happen. I think/feel it may just be a 'comfort' thing.

Lorna

girl7000
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2007, 7:29 am

I don't think you should worry about this either. He is only 3 years old, and it is actually good that he is able to have such focus on something - most NT 3 year olds are very bad at concentrating on anything for more than a very short time!

He is probably perfectly happy doing this and it possibly also has a calming effect on him. If he would rather walk along straight lines than kick a ball, I don't really see this as a problem.

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2007, 7:42 am

Lol I pace in straight lines and I'm 25

BeautyWithin
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

06 Aug 2007, 4:45 pm

Thanks everyone!

ster
Veteran