differences between boys and girls with autism

Page 1 of 5 [ 72 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

LKL
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2007, 1:40 pm

this article discusses the different ways that autism presents by gender.

TheMachine1
Veteran
Veteran

Location: 9099 will be my last post...what the hell 9011 will be.

06 Aug 2007, 2:11 pm

The link did not work for me. Might be related to it being the New York times. And you can see it because your a registered user. Some people know a clever work around that does not require registration but I'm to lazy to look up the method.

computerlove
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2007, 3:49 pm

link works fine but has a typo, this works:

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/08/05/magaz ... ref=slogin

@Machine, are you talking about bugmenot.com? ;)

TheMachine1
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2007, 4:01 pm

computerlove wrote:
link works fine but has a typo, this works:

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/08/05/magaz ... ref=slogin

@Machine, are you talking about bugmenot.com? ;)

Thanks Computerlove. I'm only on page 2 but this is some interesting stuff I'm moving it to the general autism forum.

Its does says the ASD gender distribution is 3-4: 1 Male: Female.
But that the gender difference in IQ is mayor. Aspergers being observed 10:1 male:females. The article is about high functioning autism in women. It shatter a myth that women have it easier than the males. One popular misconception is women on the spectrum are more likely to find a mate. Seems the opposite might be true.

computerlove
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2007, 4:14 pm

hi, I'm also reading it.
It says that but I think the sample is too low to come to a conclusion don't you think?

gamefreak
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2007, 4:16 pm

Most girls have it more severe.

TheMachine1
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2007, 4:21 pm

computerlove wrote:
hi, I'm also reading it.
It says that but I think the sample is too low to come to a conclusion don't you think?

I finished reading it. Yes researcher did speculate that many more higher functioning autistic females could be hiding it enough to never get noticed by the system.

computerlove
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2007, 4:29 pm

Yes, it could be.

EDIT:
It's interesting that half of the anxiety/etc. issues came from girls, when they expected a lower % (page 3)

Wow, it just struck me: A girl in my class now I think that maybe could have autism!! !! !! !!, wow, makes lot of sense 8O

LePetitPrince
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2007, 4:38 pm

Most medical articles say that girls have it more severe

Quote:
One popular misconception is women on the spectrum are more likely to find a mate. Seems the opposite might be true

I disagree , pick any girl from this forum and there's would be a great probability that she has a mate , unlike the guys here.

woodsman25
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

06 Aug 2007, 5:06 pm

Ya, I agree Le Petit! All the women here seem taken, all of us, by our lonesome.

The difference between a male with AS or HFA and a female is the males generally have a dong!

HEH!

TheMachine1
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2007, 5:07 pm

LePetitPrince wrote:

I disagree , pick any girl from this forum and there's would be a great probability that she has a mate , unlike the guys here.

Thats does seem true on WP. But the sure number of females here
(say about equal to males) is at odds with the 10:1 Male:female
distribution seen in sampling from doctors of high function autistics . In my family I have a single half-sister highly likely on the spectrum who is 43 and likely to never marry.

I've never had a girlfriend myself but a fairly large number of males
here do and/or are married. Granted alot of them might be streching the diagnostic criteria to the limit to.

2ukenkerl
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2007, 5:24 pm

LePetitPrince wrote:
Most medical articles say that girls have it more severe

Quote:
One popular misconception is women on the spectrum are more likely to find a mate. Seems the opposite might be true

YEAH, you probably couldn't pick 3 girls from this forum over the age of 12, that wanted a boyfriend, and didn't have a boyfriend. HECK, I can't recall ONE!

computerlove
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2007, 5:29 pm

I've had some girlfriends, but, to be honest, I started very late to date. Right now I'm not in a relationship, my longest one lasted for close to three years, so maybe I've been lucky.

Also, girls have approached me, so you could say they started the relationship *blushes*

Right now I'm not dating, part of me doubts about being with a girl, part of me wants to be with one, but I don't know, I love my career, and well, I don't know if I can balance both :(

and as TheMachine1 said, it's hard to conclude something from the info just from the forum.

Yupa
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2007, 5:55 pm

Girls with Autism are more likely to develop close friendships with their peers.

MishLuvsHer2Boys
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2007, 7:29 pm

This article has also been posted in the parenting forum as well.
Link

nobodyzdream
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2007, 2:46 am

Very interesting, thank you for posting it.

As far as the relationship thing goes, I am a female and have been in a few, I'm in one currently actually. But I never initiated it, or really cared one way or the other to be honest... it sounds bad, I know, lol-I'm not the type that will jump in bed with anyone, but I can be very intrigued by someone quickly, and I guess that's what prompted me to say "okay".

I was never overly enthusiastic from the beginning, and often felt extremely detached... because I have almost all male friends, that becomes a pretty big nuisance in a relationship because jealousy always seems to come into play at some point, and the fact that I am so withdrawn complicates that even more.

I've never gotten the obsession with the person-it's odd, but they are almost always just seen as a friend or acquaintance even for me, and when they ended, I was the one to leave. Granted most of them were horrible, I was clinging onto the little bits that made sense just to prevent the change, it wasn't even about staying with the person... once those were gone, I was out... or I'd hit a point of just being bored all around and it was pointless then to even be there.

I think most of my problems come from my analyzing, and the general assumption that a lot of guys make about girls being so emotional. So when I was having a meltdown or was analyzing and coming across wrong apparently, it was always a huge problem that threw me into a typical category, so to say.

Even in my current situation, which is in many ways better than the others, he's at a loss with me a lot of the time, and has already said he doesn't know if he can deal with it forever. Just the fact that I respected and accepted that extremely easily I think made him a bit insecure. He also has problems with me getting more thrills out of intellectual stimulation than cuddling or anything of that nature, because he thinks I can get that anywhere.

Sorry to go on and on, just kind of analyzing-I am not sure really how it is different for males, and I guess am analyzing my own situation because I am not sure how it is for you guys. (thinking out loud... or while typing, lol, I guess I should say.)

I'm my own guinea pig.