oh boy, and how! 77%  77%  [ 30 ]
yes 18%  18%  [ 7 ]
not really 5%  5%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 39

Greentea
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2007, 3:05 pm

When I'm in a new situation, especially now at a new job in a huge company, and I have to pay attention to several things, I come out as terribly absent-minded.

TheMachine1
Veteran
Veteran

Location: 9099 will be my last post...what the hell 9011 will be.

07 Aug 2007, 3:17 pm

Not sure we need some semi-objective way to measure it. If inattention is the same thing then yes.

Jainaday
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2007, 3:41 pm

One of my close family members has a 60% dementia. No one can tell if they aren't close to him- but he can't remember anything.

I'm terrified that I'm already just like him.

Greentea
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2007, 3:52 pm

Today I pressed the wrong floor button on the elevator. I push instead of pull doors often until I get used to them. I take the elevator that goes down instead of up often. Etc. etc.

ixochiyo_yohuallan
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2007, 3:55 pm

I am. I'll search for things when they're right before me - glasses that may well be on my nose, combs that are right there on the table, books that are on the shelf and so visible that I walk past them every time I search the room for them anew. I lose things in my own apartment because I forget where I'd put them. I *know* they're somewhere close and I should find them soon, but I can't - even if I'd put them away just a few minutes ago. I guess it's part inattention, part poor short-term memory.

Prof_Pretorius
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2007, 4:32 pm

I write things down, then push them aside, and forget about them completely !

BugsMom
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

07 Aug 2007, 4:34 pm

Greentea wrote:
When I'm in a new situation, especially now at a new job in a huge company, and I have to pay attention to several things, I come out as terribly absent-minded.

Me too...I have always had trouble transitioning to a new job. I'm a visual learner and I don't handle auditory instructions very well. I get easily confused if given more than one direction, and it does make me appear to be very ditzy and absent-minded. I'm shocked that I've never been fired, though I have been reprimanded.

Greentea
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2007, 4:39 pm

My new colleagues think I'm something like Mr. Bin (or Bean?) but it goes away once I don't have to deal with a million new things at the same time. If I'm concentrating on feigning NT, I can't concentrate on the right elevator button, etc.

pluto
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2007, 4:54 pm

I'm an enigma,even to myself.On the one hand I can easily learn new tasks at work and focus intently on them,but on the other hand one day I said 'Goodnight' to colleagues then walked into a storage room by mistake.I've also come home and tried to use my company ID card to get in my garden gate instead of just opening it.

Greentea
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2007, 5:30 pm

I was talking to some NTs at work and they said they'd tried to get money from the automatic cashier with their work tags and had tried to clock in at work with their credit cards...so that's not a bad one :-)

But I identify with everything else you just wrote.

Papillon
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2007, 5:52 pm

ixochiyo_yohuallan wrote:
I am. I'll search for things when they're right before me - glasses that may well be on my nose, combs that are right there on the table, books that are on the shelf and so visible that I walk past them every time I search the room for them anew. I lose things in my own apartment because I forget where I'd put them. I *know* they're somewhere close and I should find them soon, but I can't - even if I'd put them away just a few minutes ago. I guess it's part inattention, part poor short-term memory.

Ah! Those (expletive) absense seizures. It's the part of the tic that is like petit-mal epilepsy.

Be yourself no matter what they say

**Sting, Englishman In New York

Pugly
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2007, 6:36 pm

I'm very absent minded...

Wanting more than what I have might appear as greed.

Malachi_Rothschild
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

07 Aug 2007, 7:31 pm

Most days I'm going out I have a hard time finding my keys, wallet, cell phone. That can happen twice in a day. Sometimes when I'm cooking I'll put things away in the wrong place, non-perishables in the fridge and perishables in the cabinet. Even though I've been living in this apartment for about 6 months I still go to the wrong drawers when putting away dishes.

Last edited by Malachi_Rothschild on 07 Aug 2007, 7:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

faithfilly
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2007, 7:31 pm

Where was I before getting side-tracked to this bad detour?!?!?! :?

9CatMom
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2007, 7:33 pm

I have times where I can be very absent-minded.

juliekitty
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2007, 7:35 pm

Hopelessly. Always have been.