Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Pandora
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2007, 4:52 am

krex wrote:
This sounds like a great idea.

My only suggestion is that,currently most of the discussion seems to assume that people with AS are magically "cured" after the age of 18.Adults on the spectrum are vertually invisable in the "helping professions".If this issue isn't covered(just because 20 year olds "relate" better to their teens),this will simply perptuate this over-site.Assuming the people in your class may go on to be in social services,I think it is important that they learn to understand how AS effects adults.

I would also think it would be important to cover the co-morbids that often accompany AS but are not part of the official DX.I am referring specifically to

some of the health concerns...allergies/digestive issues(IBS)
Auditory processing disorder
anxiety
depression
phobia
OCD
ADD
short-term memory problems
Dyslexia

Some of the above mentioned are not caused by being AS but from being AS and trying to function in an NT environment.I know psycholoigist would like to over-look these other issues because they "muddy the waters" but they are crucial in understanding the difficulties many people with AS have in functioning.I think sme of the current "problem issues" being attributed to AS,are actually the co-morbids and not the neurological wiring of AS.
This is such a good point. I've spoken to people who asked me how I "overcame" autism or "got better" and have had to tell them I'm not better and have simply learned some ways of getting around some of the traits and the day to day life is still quite a struggle.

Hold your heads up high.
"Western Girls" - Dragon

lau
Veteran
Veteran

23 Dec 2007, 11:32 pm

Izzie07 wrote:
Week 6
Book Series: The book “Flower of Algernon” will be read and we will discuss how this relates back to treatments for autism.

A minor point... I assume you are talking about Flowers for Algernon. I don't think this has anything to do with autism. The central character, Charlie Gordon, is just of low IQ. The original short story is brilliant.