Have a problem understanding when there is background noise?

Page 2 of 3 [ 43 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

sinsboldly
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2007, 8:49 am

TheBladeRoden wrote:
I wonder if this is why I always have trouble picking lyrics out of songs :?

:roll:

I have just the OPPOSITE issue, BladeRoden. As a child I thought I was the only person that could pick out the lyrics of a song and would 'help' people by 'speaking' the lyrics back to them like I was a public service announcement. I would get so frustrated if they asked me to stop, thinking they didn't realize I was only trying to help them with their inability to hear them.

Merle

richardbenson
Xfractor Card #351
Xfractor Card #351

19 Aug 2007, 9:02 am

sounds like over stimulation to me. it depends really im trying to think of the last meaningful conversation i had intown with a fellow. hm,. oh ok some dude was asking me how to get to the grand canyon from here. i just told him that i didnt know even though i do and to buy a map. i was becoming increasingly overstimulated because a BNSF train was honking that gawd awful horn they have on there, i didnt catch what he said and he just drove off. and i continued about my day

star1215
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

19 Aug 2007, 8:55 pm

I can absolutely not concentrate at work if people are playing music. It wasn't a problem with my current job until a new guy started....talking isn't an issue, but music? It makes me insane.

That's a huge reason I bought a house...I couldn't stand listening to people's music and noise through apartment walls.

shopaholic
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2007, 9:59 am

Yes, I have this problem as well. It's one reason why if I am out in, say, a pub or a nightclub in a group of people, I just don't talk at all.

What is even worse is that once someone has figured out I can't hear what they are saying, then they put their mouth right up to my ear and SHOUT! This is physically painful for me and I hate it! But they don't seem to have a clue.

And as I have posted elsewhere, I can't concentrate on reading if people are talking around me.

mmaestro
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2007, 10:33 am

I struggle with hearing people over unstructured sounds. Things like music, I can mostly deal with, I think because I am a musician - you have to listen and process what you have to do yourself, so I can separate out certain kinds of sounds. Something like running water or static, however, and I find it very difficult to hear someone else over it.

Music of the Moment: Radiohead - In Rainbows

EatingPoetry
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

22 Aug 2007, 10:46 am

sinsboldly wrote:
I also have to turn down the radio if I want to find an address while driving.
Merle

Yes! Every morning I make a u-turn in front of my place of work (it's impossible to approach from the other side without leaving town and coming back in again!), and if I have music on I have to turn it off in order to concentrate on looking for oncoming traffic before making my turn. For me music and driving don't mix very well. I don't understand how people can talk on those evil cell phones and drive.

mmaestro
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2007, 10:59 am

EatingPoetry wrote:
I don't understand how people can talk on those evil cell phones and drive.

They can't. Just look at the accident statistics.

Music of the Moment: Radiohead - In Rainbows

cecilfienkelstien
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2007, 11:01 am

I get this all the time. I get mad at my mom because she likes to listen to music while aI'm trying to read. :x I have major problems with this auditory processing stuff.

Futurama91
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

22 Aug 2007, 11:02 am

MysticTJ wrote:
i thought autistic people were usually good at catching subtle background noises

I think that's the problem. Everything's coming in. While someone's trying to talk to me in a restaurant, I hear all of the other conversations, and the sizzling and banging in the kitchen, and the door opening and closing, and the f****ing radio playing irritating music. It's too much, and it's chaos, and I can't focus.

My kids get so mad at me because if I am in the kitchen, and they're in the next room, and the faucet's on, I cannot hear them. They think I am ignoring them. I explian to them every day that it's loud.

Futurama91
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

22 Aug 2007, 11:09 am

marshall wrote:
Yes. I have trouble with both background noise, multiple conversations going on at the same time, and also people with foreign accents.

This is sort of related (or not), but I can’t stand it when people say something that doesn’t make sense because they leave out some important context that I am supposed to assume. If I give a puzzled look or ask what they just said they repeat the EXACT damn thing lauder and in a slow condescending tone. Don't act all annoyed or talk to me like I'm a retart, just state things more clearly. :x Argh. I thought taking things literally was an aspie trait. It seems that when you don’t understand something NTs automatically assume you are either hard of hearing or stupid. Bugs the sh*t out of me sometimes.

One of my kids does this all the time. Every day. Oh, of course, as a middle-aged woman I should have known that 'her' always means that girl on the Disney channel. No, not that girl. That one.

krex
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2007, 2:33 pm

MrMark wrote:
Two people talking to me at the same time just wastes three people's time.

That would make a nice t-shirt. :wink:

Visit my wool sculpture blog
http://eyesoftime.blogspot.com/

sinsboldly
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2007, 7:29 pm

EatingPoetry wrote:
sinsboldly wrote:
I also have to turn down the radio if I want to find an address while driving.
Merle

Yes! Every morning I make a u-turn in front of my place of work (it's impossible to approach from the other side without leaving town and coming back in again!), and if I have music on I have to turn it off in order to concentrate on looking for oncoming traffic before making my turn. For me music and driving don't mix very well. I don't understand how people can talk on those evil cell phones and drive.

AND have the radio/CD blasting,at the same time!

Merle

Riabhag
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

22 Aug 2007, 8:14 pm

All the time.