Page 2 of 2 [ 30 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

arem
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

22 Aug 2007, 6:24 pm

Graelwyn wrote:
I always had a fascination with any Android or Spock-like character, and these seem to turn up in the majority of mainstream Sci-Fi... look at 7 of 9, Spock, Data...Batty in Bladerunner etc etc.

Good to know I'm not the only one. When I was little I used to wish I was an android, so that when I grew up I'd still be sensible. I'm mostly still sensible now :)

hyperbolic
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2007, 7:52 pm

Chuchulainn wrote:
Perhaps it's the idea of living in a different world, since many of us don't particularly like this one. That's the draw of fantasy for me.

Another theory is that a lot of Aspies feel like they're a different species, living on a "wrong planet"--at least for me.

Same here.

23 Aug 2007, 2:59 am

My brother loves science fiction and he is an NT. Also he is very good in math.

MrSinister
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2007, 1:40 pm

I've loved SF since I was a boy. I love the outlandish settings and cultures - I think that may be because they're fictional and thus are easier to understand than real outlandish settings and cultures, and I can put them away when I don't want to interact with them any more.

Then again, I love films like Aliens and The Terminator because they are very easy to watch, what with their main raison d'etre being to cause as many things to blow up as they can, and all :)

samtoo
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2007, 2:16 pm

Chuchulainn wrote:
Perhaps it's the idea of living in a different world, since many of us don't particularly like this one.

In that case, I'm a mad man... I really like the alien saga... would I really want to live on that world? :P I somehow doubt it lol every corner there's a danger of me being killed by one of them bloody great aliens... no I wouldn't want to live on that world at all lol.
OR - perhaps I want to be one of the aliens. :wink:

Zincubus
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2007, 3:37 pm

I am afraid to say that I DETEST fiction of all sorts . - I only read FACTUAL stuff.

Veresae
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2007, 10:45 pm

I prefer dark horror-fantasy.

ToadOfSteel
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2007, 10:59 pm

I have been a fan of Star Trek since I was 3 years old... Star Wars a little less so...

DeStRuCtO
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

28 Sep 2007, 12:25 am

I've loved Sci-Fi as long as I can remember. I have been really interested in Isaac Azimov's Robot books ever since I read Robots & Empire. I guess I like it because it provides me an escape from the real world.

Kitsy
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

28 Sep 2007, 12:52 am

I avoid most fictional films. If I have to watch it and it can't be avoided because of friends I do but minutes later, I can't remember most of the movie so it felt like a big waste of time. Same thing with books.

BlueMax
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2007, 2:35 am

LKL wrote:
Star Trek is interesting sci-fi wise in that it pushes the boundaries of social constructs, rather than the boundaries of technology or biology. A lot of the technical science on Star Trek isn't so good, but it was (iirc) the first show to have a white man kissing a black woman, and has addressed totalitarian rules, gods, sexism, racism, homophobia, etc. It gets away with challenges to the status quo that mainstream shows would not, because the people involved are 'alien' and therfore non-threatening.

That's kinda' what I was thinking... it's almost a Utopian society where honesty, goodness, courage, virtue (etc) are THE NORM! Most of us Aspies are ready for that already, but the rest of the world is kicking and screaming they don't want change! (Hey, isn't is Aspies who are supposed to hate change??) ;)

Macbeth
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2007, 2:29 pm

Bart21 wrote:
I can't stand anything fiction myself.
If there is a movie with something in it that doesn't excist or hasn't excisted i can't stand there.
The only exception i have made was LOTR because it was just so dam good.
Anything fake simply doesn't interest me.

How do you reconcile this fact with using an avatar of a puppet from a fiction film?

When you say "fake" are you speaking in terms of realism? To use your avatar as an example, there is nothing done in the Saw movies that could not theoretically be actually carried out, given time/money/psychosis. As opposed to the fact that much sci-fi relies on things that cannot happen, or do not happen.

You say you liked LOTR .. which was written in a very realistic manner. It is essentially an alternate history. It also doesnt go overboard with the "fantasy" elements. How do you fare with close future sci-fi? Post apocalypse stuff, or films where the sci-fi element is very understated?

One of the key tenets of fantastic writing (and by extension filming) is the suspension of disbelief. To create a different set of rules, and obey them, or to create something fantastic, that works within certain parameters.
Most good sci fi relies on this, and the ones that seem to work best are the ones that dont push the boundaries of reality. Same with fantasy. However, there are a few conventions .. theres usually sound in space, even though we all know that wont work, simply because it works better dramatically. Handling silence in space has been done, and done well at at times, but its just more exciting if you can hear the explosions etc. Same thing goes for the fudging of FTL travel.. because having a film where it takes 80 years to go from a to b is going to be dramatically a bit shite.

My guess is, its an escapist thing for most. This world is a bit dull, so its nice to "get out of the house" sometimes.

I noticed someone mention theyre a bugger for hole-picking.. which is half the point of watching these films for me. I love doing it, and picking up all sorts of odd facts about them as well. Gives them a longer shelf-life, and helps me hone my analytical skills.

Irulan
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2007, 3:38 pm

arem wrote:
Graelwyn wrote:
I always had a fascination with any Android or Spock-like character, and these seem to turn up in the majority of mainstream Sci-Fi... look at 7 of 9, Spock, Data...Batty in Bladerunner etc etc.

Good to know I'm not the only one. :)

So there are already three of us :lol: My favourite character from TNG is Data. Generally I like films with robots as characters, like for example the Terminator saga.

I always loved s-f. I discovered this kind of literature when I was about 5. In that time I had a children's book "Runaways from the planetoid Cyrres" about a small creatures who arrived in the Earth in the spaceship of the earthlings but discovering very quickly that our globe wasn't the best place for them started to look for said spaceship to take them home. I remember my disappointment when I found out that the book (very well written but also very short; a children's book after all) had its end when our runaways saw the ship and... well, and it's all 8O I regreted their trip wasn't described. Really good book, I still have it somewhere in the box together with other books from my childhood years (there must be also "Taja from the Jasmine street", my another favourite book from that time, I must look for them one day).

bigizz
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

28 Sep 2007, 7:16 pm

I don't care for science fiction at all. In fact fiction in general (particularly books but I' not a big movie fan either) doesn't do a whole lot for me. I much prefer non fiction.