Page 2 of 5 [ 70 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Flagg
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2007, 3:11 am

rdos wrote:
Flagg wrote:
We exist because of some genetic f**k-up, a Thymine where it shouldn't be.

So, you would believe that differences in some 700 different questions in Aspie-quiz could be because of a single "f**k-up in an amino-acid? I find such statements to be more ridiculous than religious beliefs, and I too am an atheist / private belief person.

Go play Conway's Game Of Life and you'll understand. A single disjunction or frame shift can completely screw up a complex object. Like a human being.

~ Flagg the Grumpy MD who likes to read about genetics

rdos
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2007, 3:14 am

Well, while I don't have much good to say about ordinary religions, I have several traits that go into the "paranormal" domain. I'm also sensite to water-currents, and I recently had an visit from a person that died at another location. Turned out that the time of death fitted perfectly with my experience of this person saying farewell.

gwenevyn
l'esprit de l'escalier
l'esprit de l'escalier

31 Aug 2007, 3:15 am

Flagg wrote:

Luckily most modern religions rely on Allognosticism.

I wouldn't say that this is officially the case (at least not in the RC Church, which is my special area of interest), but the general consensus among believers is, "If you're not feeling it, you're not trying/holy/good/special enough." This has two effects, the first being that they have good reason to grab ahold of anything remotely spiritual-seeming and pass it off as a special message from God... the second being that those who do not hear, feel, or see such things are shamed. Again, not by the official teachings, but by one's fellow believers.

rdos
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2007, 3:20 am

Flagg wrote:
Go play Conway's Game Of Life and you'll understand. A single disjunction or frame shift can completely screw up a complex object. Like a human being.

I don't think so. First, all genetic defects are kept at low prevalences because of the disadvantage these confere to the bearers. No real defect without some positive value has such a high prevalence as autism, AS or AD/HD. Second, if there existed any simple genetic mutation that would "screw up" a human being, it would get selected out of the genome very quickly.

And, apparently, you haven't studied the specific questions in Aspie-quiz. Aspie-quis is not a diagnostic instrument full of dysfunction questions. Most of the questions are more related to preferences and general human variation, and as such are certainly no defects.

The final thing that effectively "kills-off" this hypothesis is that inter-question correlations are highly variable (basically from 0-0.8), which they wouldn't be if only one single genetic difference mattered.

Flagg
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2007, 3:27 am

MrMacPhisto wrote:
You can believe that but I challenge to 1 have an Open Mind 2 I also challenge go to one these meeting and then you will know it's not group insanity if it's group insanity it would be a few people this was 16.000 people a bit different and its all over the world and like I mention already in a post I felt something talk to me and yes it all came true.

No, when it's 16,000 people the chance goes up exponetally that this will happen. The bigger the group, the easier it is to start a chain delusion and overcome the indivual's common sense. Once again, just because you felt it doesn't mean it's real. I feel things all the time that aren't there, I hear music in my head. It's the exact same thing.

MrMacPhisto wrote:
Also I heard an audio of a group of musicians playing music to God and as they were playing they felt something but on the audio there is a noise the noise drowned out the music but everyone said that they didn't hear that noise at all but when the noise came up the messy performance of that group became instantly tidy and polished and they played well.

Urban myths are fun if you remember they are myths. I want a reliable source, a research article should do.

MrMacPhisto wrote:
Also Bono from U2 believes in God and prays before coming up on stage and reads his bible everyday and people have mentioned who doesn't know that Bono actually believes has mentioned that there is a God like presence around him. That was from a reviewer not a fan

Everyone is capable of sheer idiocy. A reviewer is still a human being and therefore capable of delusions and feeling things that are not there.

~ Flagg the Grumpy MD who is really good at this

Last edited by Flagg on 31 Aug 2007, 3:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

Flagg
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2007, 3:32 am

rdos wrote:
Flagg wrote:

I don't think so. First, all genetic defects are kept at low prevalences because of the disadvantage these confere to the bearers. No real defect without some positive value has such a high prevalence as autism, AS or AD/HD. Second, if there existed any simple genetic mutation that would "screw up" a human being, it would get selected out of the genome very quickly.

And, apparently, you haven't studied the specific questions in Aspie-quiz. Aspie-quis is not a diagnostic instrument full of dysfunction questions. Most of the questions are more related to preferences and general human variation, and as such are certainly no defects.

The final thing that effectively "kills-off" this hypothesis is that inter-question correlations are highly variable (basically from 0-0.8), which they wouldn't be if only one single genetic difference mattered.

You win on that ground, one cell isn't going to sour the pie unless it's in the very earliest stages of human growth (Zygote or not far beyond). It's probably chromosomal or somehow related to a disjunction error. (We should be happy it's not Patau's)

~ Flagg the Grumpy MD who admits defeat

MrMacPhisto
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2007, 7:06 am

One day you WILL understand me.

But what you are posting is what you think and to be perfectly honest with you, you really need to start searching and I challenge that I mean come on 16.000 people it's wasn't just in London it's all over the world it's international. People are turning to God people are believing and if you don't believe me start searching and open your mind.

All the philosiphy and all Theology is man made theory and sometimes making up theory isn't really good. But ask one question it's on evolution If the world was created by a big bang what causeed the big bang? Has to be something that caused it.

Also another question if humans are supposed to be evolved by apes and monkeys why is it that I can't swing throw trees or anything and why is it I find Bananas horrible.

kreb1958
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

31 Aug 2007, 7:42 am

I have read the thread with great interest. As an aspie (self diagnosed) and experienced several religions including christianity, now a spiritual without religion.

I would think Aspergers as a variation of human genetics, rather than a "gift from God". This is an easier explanation, Occam Razor style, than the gift from God one (one would have to explain the existence of God, then the existence of benovelent blessing god next, etc).

Should Aspies, in the next 100 years function (eg survive and live independently) better than the current version of humanity (neurotypicals), and reproduce more offsprings with Aspies, then the Aspie version will gradually become the more efficient version of humanity. Natural and artificial selection will help along any favourable variations in evolution. Bear in mind that evolution has no purpose at all, but a theory to explain species ability to change form, and religion has nothing to do with it.

Individuals and groups may follow religions if they wish or as part of their culture, and for the good of society, but as such religion play no designer's part in the theory of evolution.

BTW I have heard of Indigo children, there may be parallels with Aspergers, but I tend to believe it is a "New Age" meme (I am not new age).

kreb1958
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

31 Aug 2007, 7:55 am

MrMacPhisto wrote:
Also another question if humans are supposed to be evolved by apes and monkeys why is it that I can't swing throw trees or anything and why is it I find Bananas horrible.

Because humans have evolved away from the arboreal environment. Thats the idea, we changed from arboral so that we no longer hairy apes with great upper body strength. Other than that, we are still primate, hairless, toolmaking apes. We have lived on grassland for so long that strong arms are redunant for survival. Enhanced intelligence and the opposing thumb enabled humans to make tools, starting with flint, and this means we make spears to hunt better, and this enables us to survive on the plains better than we can survive in the jungle. (Also with use of fire) The next great stage in survival must be agriculture, then economy society (requiring people intelligent enough to do arithmetics). The next version must be increased curiosity and thirst for knowledge (technological society with schools and universities). By the time we are computer geeks in the middle of an upgrade to the next version in human evolution (ie, Aspergers), we are adapted to make tools so efficiently that our arms are so weak as to climb trees badly. But look at any tree surgeon, with ropes, harnesses and they have no problem climbing trees!

Hopes that answers questions about evolution of humans from apes.

We are intelligent hairless apes with weak arms, many of whom still like bananas! :)

thyme
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2007, 9:09 am

All you anti-religion ppl don't want to watch the film so what? No one is forcing you too.
If more open minded ppl want to see the film what's it to you? No reason to get bent out of shape.

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2007, 9:40 am

Flagg wrote:
The average aspie is an atheist is this basically asking the minority to represent the whole.

I object.

And the reason there are more DXes is the fact this is the new fad disorder.

It's ADD for the 21st century.

Quit trying to act like House.

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2007, 9:42 am

Anyway, my parents believe I was born with Asperger's for a reason, and they're glad I am the way I am.

MrMacPhisto
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2007, 12:21 pm

thyme wrote:
All you anti-religion ppl don't want to watch the film so what? No one is forcing you too.
If more open minded ppl want to see the film what's it to you? No reason to get bent out of shape.

I agree. I believe I'm here for a reason I talk to God everyday.

MrMacPhisto
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2007, 12:22 pm

[quote="Flagg"]The average aspie is an atheist is this basically asking the minority to represent the whole.

How can you work on averages I'm an aspie and I believe in God.

Flagg
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2007, 7:34 pm

MrMacPhisto wrote:
One day you WILL understand me.

Ohhh.

Appeal to time, wonderful logic fallacy. I don't buy it.

MrMacPhisto wrote:
But what you are posting is what you think and to be perfectly honest with you, you really need to start searching and I challenge that I mean come on 16.000 people it's wasn't just in London it's all over the world it's international. People are turning to God people are believing and if you don't believe me start searching and open your mind.

I've already been on my quest for spiritual enlightenment. I came to the conclusion the existence or non-existence of deities is a pointless question. Idiocy transcends, race, gender, sex and location. It's quite easy to make a horde of idiots scattered across the world. Belief is merely that, belief. It's like believing in the Tooth Fairy but more comforting until you realize your all loving "god" created AIDS, SARS, 9/11, the Holocaust and Inquisition. If deities exist, they are like eight year old kids with ant farms and a magnifying glass.

MrMacPhisto wrote:
All the philosophy and all Theology is man made theory and sometimes making up theory isn't really good. But ask one question it's on evolution If the world was created by a big bang what caused the big bang? Has to be something that caused it.

Appeal to Ignorance fallacy. It might fit the parameters but there is no evidence of a deity or set of deities starting the universe.

MrMacPhisto wrote:

My friend already kicked your ass at this one so I don't need to beat you to death with a biology textbook.

~Flagg the Grumpy MD who is having a fun time beating the crap out of you

whatamess
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2007, 10:43 pm

rdos...interesting you mention that...I too have had quite a few paranormal type things happen...and I believe my son as well.

Any info that you know of related to that? Or even threads here about it? I couldn't find any.