Where, when and how were you born?

Page 1 of 4 [ 57 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Ana54
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2007, 12:56 pm

I was born during a snowstorm, on January 2, 1988, at approximately 6:15 p.m., at St. Joseph's Hospital in Toronto, Ontario, Canada. :) My grandmother was disappointed because I wouldn't come out on January 1, and therefore wasn't a New Year's baby in the paper. :D They had to give my mother drugs to induce the labor because I didn't want to come out. Then I still wouldn't come out, so the doctor had to stick pliers in and grab onto my head and pull me out. :D I had a full head of hair and long fingernails which I scratched my face with! the babies at that hospital were kept in a separate room in basinets and this jaundice disease was going around; someone told my mother all the babies had it but she didn't know if I had it. We were in quarantine in that room; I think. My parenting teacher in high school years later asked us to ask our parents when and how we were born, so when I said this she said it was probably formula they gave us that we were allergic to. :)

Mr_Winston
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

02 Sep 2007, 1:10 pm

Born Monday 31st March 1986 at Hinchingbrooke Hospital in Huntingdon, Cambridgeshire (or the now-defunct county of Huntingdonshire, depending on whom you ask.), England. At 20:27. :) Oliver Cromwell was born just down the road, a fact which seldom interests people. :P

I was a difficult birth apparently, I too was a job for the tongs. :D I was about a fortnight late, ironic considering that now I am something of a stickler for punctuality. :D

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2007, 1:34 pm

I was born December 10, 1979 in Houston, Texas. My birth was a normal birth.

Tim

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

RainSong
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2007, 1:36 pm

I was born February 19th, 1991 in Snelville, Georgia. I was born late (I don't remember exactly how late, but I think it was something like two weeks overdue). My mother went into labor on the 18th, but then stopped, so they gave her drugs to induce the labor. Supposedly after some time they could take her off it and it would go on, only every time they took her off it, the labor stopped as well. She stayed in the hospital for over 24 hours before the doctor decided she needed an emergency C section. (Ha, a nurse came in before the C section, looked at my mother, and said "You're still here?" My mother's still not fond of that.) I was born 10 minutes later at 7:15 am. I was the biggest baby (9 lbs 7 ounces, 21") until the last day when a 10 lbs baby was born. Because of my size, the blood vessels in my left leg were (and still are) visible, and my feet pointed in at an absurd angle. The pigeon-toe thing was corrected (over-corrected actually, but that's only noticeable when I'm wearing heels without backs), and my mother has offered the laser surgery to have the blood vessels removed, but I don't mind them.

My little brother (May 10, 1993) was born at the same hospital with the same doctors. He was born via C section too; the logic was that babies got bigger each time, and as I was the first child, he was going to be huge. He was actually smaller than me (6 lbs, some-odd ounces if I remember correctly), but they said that if he had been born normally, he would have died. The birth cord was wrapped around his neck; he would have been strangled. So the C section was good.

Interestingly enough, my brother and I are exact opposites, and our mother treated her pregnancies in opposite ways too. I was her first child, but she had miscarriaged before and there were some minor complications early on, so she was worried that she would lose me as well; as a a result, she laid down every time she got tired, didn't do much work, and generally just made sure to be as careful as she could. With my brother, she was in the process of moving; she didn't have time to lay down and rest. We really are exact opposites, even when we were babies (for instance, I was more of a passive child, whereas he was up and moving before he was even supposed to be able to do so. And our habits were different too - for instances, I refused to take a pacifier or my thumb (if by some off chance someone managed to give me a pacifier, I would throw it back at them), and he didn't break the habit until he was around 5). I'm sure a lot of it has to do with our respective personalities, but I wonder if it had anything to do with the setting.

Three years!

Lightning88
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2007, 1:48 pm

I was born December 28th, 1988 at St. Luke's Hospital in Houston, Texas at 9:18 PM. (It obviously wasn't sunny by then. lol) Although I was born on my due date, I was nearly born mid-October, so I would've been two months early. But luckily, that didn't happen. Apparently the cord was wrapped around me when I was born, so my mom didn't even get to see me for hours. But now I'm good. :)

Ana54
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2007, 1:49 pm

I'm noticing a pattern in this. Some of you were late coming out, and the rest had other suffocation issues, like the cord being wrapped around them... could AS be due to oxygen deprivation?

username88
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2007, 1:54 pm

I believe genetics have more to do with it.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2007, 2:05 pm

I was born 2 weeks early.

Tim

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

edal
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2007, 2:37 pm

Born 11th May 1958 in Boston MA. My mom went into labor at the movies whilst Ben Hur was in the chariot race, it must have been too exciting.

Ed Almos

Jimbogf
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

02 Sep 2007, 3:10 pm

Born November 12, 1983 at Tacoma General hospital in Tacoma, WA at 11:30 pm. After 12 hours of labor here I come into this existence with a full head of hair. Cut the umbilical cord, clean up the mess and then later the placenta.

Todd489
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2007, 3:14 pm

Born April 12 1989 at some hospital in Warren. I was a C-section because I was a bit late. Strangely I was born with really long hair. I guess I was destined to play heavy metal from the start :lol:.

LadyMacbeth
Veteran
Veteran

Location: In the girls toilets at Hogwarts, washing the blood off my hands.

02 Sep 2007, 4:32 pm

I was born on 31st May, 1987, in University College Hospital, London. It was 1:01am and my mum was in labour for 23 hours. I was bang on time though, but I was only 4 1/2 lbs. They'd brought in the incubator just in case, but apart from being small, I was perfectly formed (something my boyfriend tells me every day ironically). She had a heart attack during the labour, but wasn't told at the time because it would've caused her more distress (she was later told when pregnant with my younger brother).

Her waters hadn't broken after 22 hours, so they had to burst it with forceps. The problem with this was that I was face up, which is unusual and rare, and instead of the forceps clipping the back of my head they instead cut my forehead. I had a full head of jet black hair, and really dark blue eyes so my mum knew immediately that they'd change to brown.

I wasn't the nicest baby in the world. I got put in the nursery once and only once, as I disrupted all the other babies in there with my crying. I didn't sleep, or eat, and I went down to 3lbs. But then they put me on formula and I fattened up well. For some reason I wouldn't eat off my mum. (Physical contact mayhaps?)

TechnoMonk
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2007, 5:42 pm

Tim_Tex wrote:
I was born December 10, 1979 in Houston, Texas. My birth was a normal birth.

Tim

5 days older than me xD

dawndeleon
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2007, 5:57 pm

I was born at four ish in the morning October 19th, 1976. A mere fourteen minutes after my sister. In the western oklahoma town of Elk city, it snowed. We were named 'baby number one',and baby number two for three days. Finally satisfied with our names, my parents named me Cora, after my dad's beloved great-grandmother. My sister's name, lora was o course chosen for rhyme's sake. Early on, I was a biter, who threw the worst tantrums ever. When i was angry, i had superhuman strength. many times my mom would put me in my crib, i would grow enraged that i had to go to bed, i would climb out of my crib and raise hell. I was built like a baby linebacker.

9CatMom
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2007, 7:51 pm

I was born on November 10, 1964 in Frankfurt, Germany. My mother said I was born right on time. She was in labor with me for 16 hours, but the delivery was quick.

Ticker
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2007, 2:10 am

Ana just an FYI - jaundice is not a disease. A large percentage of babies are born with jaundice or get it in the first week of life. Jaundice just means the baby has yellow skin from a buildup of Bilirubin in the bloodstream. Bilirubin is produced by the normal break down of red blood cells and jaundice occurs when the liver can't filter out the Bilirubin fast enough. In hospitals they use a special light they refer to as "Bili lights" to shine on the baby several hours a day which somehow breaks down the bilirubin. I was a volunteer for awhile in the preemie ICU is how I know. They all the time had babies under the lights. It was really cute. They have special preemie sized sunshades they put on their eyes so the light doesn't bother them and so they can nap in the light.