One small step for (an) aspie, One giant leap for aspie kind

Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Scoots5012
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2007, 5:35 pm

My job search is over - I got the job!! !

I have to move out now to Cheyenne Wyoming where I will be working for KGWN television as a photgrapher. The job doesn't pay a whole lot, but taxes are low and cost of living is cheap so I figure at this moment I should be able to make ado. My start date is right now is the 24th or the 1st of October, depending on how quick I can get myself out west.

At this time three years ago I was struggling mightily with my first week of college away from home. I've grown quite a bit since then and I think I can manage going from moving 70 miles away from home to moving 1200 miles away from home.

Holy s**t, I can't believe this is has happened. I feel all guilty about this, as if I don't deserve this. I know I shouldn't think about this like this but damn it I earned this and I gotta do this.

Once the thought has settled firmly into mind I figure out how I'm gonna do this. In the mean time I can at least relish in the fact now that I no longer have to play the waiting game.

TheMachine1
Veteran
Veteran

Location: 9099 will be my last post...what the hell 9011 will be.

05 Sep 2007, 5:39 pm

Thats great! :D

gwenevyn
l'esprit de l'escalier
l'esprit de l'escalier

05 Sep 2007, 5:43 pm

I'm happy for you! I was wondering what would happen. Wow!

woodsman25
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

05 Sep 2007, 5:50 pm

im glad u found something u will enjoy doing, are u nervous to leave home I know I was and I lived only 180miles away for collage

2ukenkerl
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2007, 5:53 pm

Scoots5012,

Why did you doubt yourself? Frankly, I thought you would go for something a bit better. But HEY, it could be a fun and somewhat comfortable job. From what I have heard, Cheyenne is a nice place, low cost, etc... And Wisconsin is apparently getting to liberal, etc... So you may find Cheyenne to be better. Good luck!

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2007, 6:56 pm

Good for you. :)

Fogman
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2007, 7:23 pm

Good for you, and good luck with your new job. When I was a kid, I travelled through Cheyenne and remember it to be in the middle of the western Prairie. Summers are relatively hot and dry, whilst winter is cold and windy, not unlike North Dakota, if I recall correctly.

My dad was planning on finishing up grad school at the University of Wyoming in Laramie. Roughly halfway between the two towns on I-80 is a rather interesting State Park with lots of gigantic red granite boulders. Also, whilst you can't see the Rockies in Cheyenne, they can be seen on I-80 travelling to Laramie.

sinsboldly
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2007, 7:32 pm

Scoots5012 wrote:
My job search is over - I got the job!! !

I have to move out now to Cheyenne Wyoming where I will be working for KGWN television as a photgrapher. The job doesn't pay a whole lot, but taxes are low and cost of living is cheap so I figure at this moment I should be able to make ado. My start date is right now is the 24th or the 1st of October, depending on how quick I can get myself out west.

At this time three years ago I was struggling mightily with my first week of college away from home. I've grown quite a bit since then and I think I can manage going from moving 70 miles away from home to moving 1200 miles away from home.

Holy sh**, I can't believe this is has happened. I feel all guilty about this, as if I don't deserve this. I know I shouldn't think about this like this but damn it I earned this and I gotta do this.

Once the thought has settled firmly into mind I figure out how I'm gonna do this. In the mean time I can at least relish in the fact now that I no longer have to play the waiting game.

Congratulations!~

oh, sweetie, you deserve it! Don't go selling yourself short! They are desparate for folks to hire in the West, the hiring pool is so shallow for someone with your credentials ! Why do you think they are recruiting from 1200 miles away?? don't worry, people in the West are friendly enough for you and them too, and you will be their prize bull for a while, too! :wink:

But don't for a moment think you are not worthy. You are worthy cause they are not judging by YOUR standards, they are judging by THEIR standards.

all the best!
Merle

LabPet
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2007, 9:18 pm

That's great news! I always feel trepedation about new situations, but they always turn out fine after the initial transition.....you'll do perfectly fine.

2ukenkerl
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2007, 9:35 pm

I have to tell you, but I haven't kept this a secret. I used to be almost scared about new jobs. I have ******LOTS****** of experience. I remember a LOT of applicable things. If I can't do something with computers, it probably can't be done, and CERTAINLY not by the average consultant.

Yet I STILL want perhaps 15 minutes alone to get the lay of the land and maybe prove myself. So the trepidation isn't unique.

Scoots5012
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2007, 10:16 pm

Thanks to all for the encouragement. This is defiantly a prophetic moment for me. Two weeks ago I found out some good news about something totally unrelated to this, something I've been waiting 8 years to hear, and I thought to myself, "now that this headache is out of the way, I bet I get a job sooner than later".

I was expecting to wait another three months or so before I got a job. Hopefully the weather won't be to crappy when I do leave.

Xenon
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2007, 10:25 pm

Congratulations! :D

Inventor
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2007, 11:48 pm

It will be great. The wide open west was a shock to me, used to being shunned and excluded. There are so few people that they have to depend on each other. My kid did some high school there, took four counties to make one small highschool. She met most of the people in a hundred miles.

A new man in town? With an education, and different points of view? You will do well. Do bother to learn about Rodeo. It is a lot easier than football.

Hats are another cultural thing, a man has a hat. It is high up, lots of UV, and skin cancer likes the bridge of the nose, back of neck, so when you are outside during the day wear a hat. A man without a hat just looks wrong. You will see it, and there is a store that can fit any skull with the perfect hat.

Jackson Hole, well worth a visit.

Graelwyn
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2007, 11:53 pm

That is fantastic, and to me, with my love of the arts and photography, that sounds like a brilliant job to have... I envy you for that.
I hope it goes well and you manage to adjust to your new environment etc.

edal
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2007, 5:57 am

Well done Scoots ! !

Ed Almos

unnamed
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

06 Sep 2007, 11:10 am

Congrats, Scoots! That is so exciting! Good luck - you will do great! :D