Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

richardbenson
Xfractor Card #351
Xfractor Card #351

06 Sep 2007, 11:28 pm

alright guys first let me say that i am not a schizo, but how can you tell if your hearing a voice? is it outside your head or inside?

if the voice im hearing is inside coudlnt that be considerd your coinscious? the problem is i am having a difficult time telling the difference between the two.

TheMachine1
Veteran
Veteran

Location: 9099 will be my last post...what the hell 9011 will be.

06 Sep 2007, 11:38 pm

richardbenson wrote:
alright guys first let me say that i am not a schizo, but how can you tell if your hearing a voice? is it outside your head or inside?

if the voice im hearing is inside coudlnt that be considerd your coinscious? the problem is i am having a difficult time telling the difference between the two.

Does the voice tell you usefull things are bad things?

LostInSpace
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2007, 11:42 pm

I guess what you might try to do is distinguish whether or not the voice is speaking your thoughts. If it's not, then that's kind of odd, unless it's something like you're falling asleep or whatever. So, if you're sitting there thinking, "What's this voice that I'm hearing?" and it's not a person actually speaking, then I don't think that is normal.

richardbenson
Xfractor Card #351
Xfractor Card #351

06 Sep 2007, 11:42 pm

its a very friendly voice and just reminds me to do things, and its always inside my head. ive never heard it on the outside. if im depressed or stressed out it gets a little naughty 8O

richardbenson
Xfractor Card #351
Xfractor Card #351

06 Sep 2007, 11:45 pm

LostInSpace wrote:
I guess what you might try to do is distinguish whether or not the voice is speaking your thoughts. If it's not, then that's kind of odd, unless it's something like you're falling asleep or whatever. So, if you're sitting there thinking, "What's this voice that I'm hearing?" and it's not a person actually speaking, then I don't think that is normal.
i really just think its me having a conversation with myself in my mind but i wanted to check and see if it happend to anyone else. thanks :D

iceb
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2007, 11:46 pm

The most disterbing thing about an audio halucination is being unable to tell that it is not real :(
I suffers some for a short time, I was quite unwell!

LostInSpace
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2007, 11:48 pm

richardbenson wrote:
LostInSpace wrote:
i really just think its me having a conversation with myself in my mind but i wanted to check and see if it happend to anyone else. thanks :D

I can see that, then. Just so that it's not speaking thoughts alien to your own.

TheMachine1
Veteran
Veteran

Location: 9099 will be my last post...what the hell 9011 will be.

06 Sep 2007, 11:50 pm

richardbenson wrote:
its a very friendly voice and just reminds me to do things, and its always inside my head. ive never heard it on the outside. if im depressed or stressed out it gets a little naughty 8O

I did a quick read on the net. And its says its fairly common that a lot people hear such a voice and often never feel the need to seek treatment for it. Many infact find it helpful. I think you sound like your fine.

Reminds me I wanted to research your other problem of kicking the habit of bad obsessions but been too lazy so for.

richardbenson
Xfractor Card #351
Xfractor Card #351

06 Sep 2007, 11:52 pm

Oh thank god. say whats your real name bud? you seem pretty amazing when it comes to stats and dxes and checking up on things and stuff. :star:

Boutique
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

07 Sep 2007, 12:06 am

richardbenson wrote:

I have conversations with myself in my mind too. I spose I have a 'voice' that tells me that I'm doing OK, tells me to relax and go easy on myself, etc.

HydroPurity
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

07 Sep 2007, 12:38 am

Yea, I have the same thing. It's like this voice in my head that talks to me in 3rd person and it kind of talks s**t to me every once in a while in a sarcastic tone. I like it, I don't think I'm ill.

skahthic
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2007, 1:24 am

I'm not sure--- I talk to myself all the time, and in my head I answer myself. It's kinda like a conversation at times. But i think the key difference would be that I know it's just me thinking ( my conscience?). If you hear a voice and you can't tell if it's you or if you think it's someone else talking, you may have a problem... especially if that voice is telling you to do things or hurt yourself/someone else.

MrMark
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2007, 6:32 am

There's nothing wrong with seeing or hearing things that other people cannot see or hear.

If you can't distinguish between sounds that come from inside your head and sounds that come from outside your head, then you've got a serious problem that requires a change. Chronic drug or alcohol abuse can lead to this.

- Emerson

Inventor
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2007, 7:16 am

I have two styles. One is running two or more party conversations, a means of reaching truth by taking both sides, and seeing what is left in the middle.

That is no more than preparing for debate, thinking out what each side could say. I do that.

Voice two is different. It ignores my day to day life, and rarely speaks. When it does it is the voice of command. It seems I was doing something it saw as a danger to us both, and self preservation speaks.

Sometimes when I am working on something, it will speak, pointing out a better way.

It seems to ignore my monkey life, but if I am trying to do something, it takes more interest.

When modeling wax or clay it wordlessly takes over my hands.

Many world views see an overself, a higher part of being. They agree it is leading us to a higher state. Follow your Atman. Become one with your Chi.

If it says tto run naked down the street killing everyone, get a second opinion.

monty
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2007, 9:17 am

It's impossible to say from what you have told us, but it is not necessarily a cause for concern.

Some people wall up their subconscious and unconscious facilities very tightly. Their 'mind' tunes out or denies these other streams of information, even though the subconscious and unconscious still affect the conscious.

The other posters were right - if you get voices or impulses to do obviously inappropriate things, then you need to get help.

But some traditions encourage a dialog with the subconscious. Some people think by routing information through the verbal/auditory part of the brain, other through spatial/kinesthetic. "Normal People" are not aware of the degree to which they do this, and that degree is limited.

Ever hear of Synthesia? While some people once thought it was evidence of demon possession or insanity, it is now just recognized as a different way of being. So what if someone conceives of every number as having a particular color and texture? So what if a smell is mapped to a color in the brain, or if textures has a sound with it?

Various meditation practices can quiet and tune the mind. Just sitting quietly every now and then can sometimes help when the different parts of the brain are all vying for control. With practice, meditation leads to more synchrony between the different parts of the brain.

alexbeetle
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2007, 10:11 am

I had it explained to me once by therapist that there is usually three parts to our conscious and we can hear these as 'voices' inside our heads.
I only had two at the time and one was very critical and bullying of the other which had become very submissive, so I had to create the missing third voice which is the balance between the two and this would tell the over-critical voice to shut up and leave me alone as I was doing the best I could.

I used to have a part of me that would take over when I needed to do something courageous, like speak in public or stand up for myself, but I went through an extremely stressful couple of years when she was dealing with everything for a long time resulting in me having a breakdown and she died. I suppose I am more balanced now but I miss that ability.

I have heard external voices a couple of times, one was helpful and would tell me how to do things better like you describe but on one occasion I had an evil voice spending ages persuading me to do something quite bad. I don't think these are related to mental illness as I believe there are good and bad spirits around us all the time that try to influence our lives and this is inclusive in the beliefs of my religion anyway. I do wonder if schizophrenia is related to an over sensitivity to this and that the voices they hear are actually real.

It might look like I'm doing nothing, but at the cellular level I'm really quite busy.