Page 1 of 4 [ 49 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2004, 4:40 am

I wear these groovy Glasses that have Swinger written all over them. They are Horn-Rimmed Glasses and they are a velvety Blue in colour (Like Austin's suit) and they are my most prized possesion(s).

Does anybody else wear Glasses that they think are the Cat's Meow?

alex
Developer
Developer

30 Jul 2004, 10:15 am

I wear glasses but they annoy me. I wish I just had really good eyesight. Because I notice small things, even the slightest scratch annoys me. And i have a big scratch on my glasses. Also the fact that they rest on my nose and ear annoys me. When I watch tv i'm hypersensitive to any glare i get in my glasses. Anyone else feel this way?

flamingjune
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

30 Jul 2004, 1:04 pm

I have some black emogirl kind of glasses that amused me but anytime they were the least bit dirty I found myself focusing on the lens rather than through them. Then I got contacts and now every thing looks flat when I wear my glasses instead and I can not stand it.

magic
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2004, 2:27 pm

alex wrote:
I wear glasses but they annoy me. I wish I just had really good eyesight. Because I notice small things, even the slightest scratch annoys me. And i have a big scratch on my glasses. Also the fact that they rest on my nose and ear annoys me. When I watch tv i'm hypersensitive to any glare i get in my glasses. Anyone else feel this way?

They can be a pain in the ears, can't they? I wear glasses since I was 12, so I had 20 years to get used to their quirks. At the beginning they annoyed me a lot. (How long do you wear yours, Alex?) And still, sometimes my nose or ears become overly sensitive, for unknown reason, and it can get quite painful.

But I always say that there is a good side to glasses as well. I am known of fabulously entertaining stories about effects of spherical and chromatic aberrations, which usually leave people wondering how I am able to even walk straight having such horrible impediments. I can also enter competitions, with nearsighted fellows, on whose eyesight is the worst (which I like, because I usually win). :D

Speaking seriously, Alex, if a scratch annoys you and cannot be removed, I would suggest replacing the lens. Nerves are worth more than the cost of one lens. Also, since you are sensitive to glare, did you try lenses with anti-reflective layer? (I am not sure if this is the proper term.) I have one with the blue tint, it colors the glare dark blue and makes it much less noticeable. It also darkens the reflection of my eyes and eyelashes that I would otherwise see. There are other colors available as well.

V111
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

30 Jul 2004, 3:10 pm

Yeh i wear glass and yes having to clean them and the like are a pain. Most of the time forget i have them on :-)

Tom_FL_MA
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

Location: Central Florida; originally southeastern Massachusetts

30 Jul 2004, 4:50 pm

I've been wearing glasses for nearly 20 years. I agree they can be a pain when they get dirty, it seems that I can
never keep them clean enough.

I was told I didn't have to wear them all the time, but I didn't want to have to take them on and off, increasing the
chances of breaking them or losing them.

It takes no time to get those annoying scratches on a pair of glasses.

focused
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

31 Jul 2004, 2:53 am

I gave up glasses ten years ago and switched to contacts but contacts are frustrating too. The last pair of glasses I had were those titanium alloy frames, the flexible kind, and I remember enjoying showing off their unique ability. I am currently thinking of switching back to glasses. I may invest in a pair of those rimless frames. I realize they are delicate but I think they have a nice look. If you like the rimless glasses but think that your lenses are to thick for the style then look into it anyway because it is amazing how thin the newest lenses are.

Scoots5012
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2004, 5:26 am

I've been wearing glasses since february of 1988. And yes, sometimes they bug my ears and nose quite a bit.

magic wrote:
I am known of fabulously entertaining stories about effects of spherical and chromatic aberrations, which usually leave people wondering how I am able to even walk straight having such horrible impediments.

Lets not forget about lens flare which will dance around any bright point of light depending on the position of your head.

Alex, if your bothered by glare, try to get polarized lenes, or sunglasses that are polarized. Also try to get lens that block UV light too. I have clip on sunglasses that I need to wear when I'm outside since I have really sensitive eyes, that are both polarized and block UV. I tell you Alex, it makes a world of difference.

magic
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2004, 5:57 am

Scoots5012 wrote:
Lets not forget about lens flare which will dance around any bright point of light depending on the position of your head.

Scott, can you describe lens flare? I am not familiar with the term (but I bet I am familiar with the effect). Also, how do polarized lenses differ from normal ones? I'm going to get new glasses soon, two pairs, so maybe I can throw in some extras on one of them and see if it's any good. I was also thinking about lenses that go darker on sunlight, but I am not sure about that. The intensity of Texas sunlight bothers me, but I never liked sunglasses, because they lower contrast, and that makes me depressed for some reason.

Tom_FL_MA
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

Location: Central Florida; originally southeastern Massachusetts

31 Jul 2004, 1:47 pm

I have sensitive eyes, too. It is one reason why I do not/do not want to drive.

I have clip on sunglasses, as well. I don't go out that often, so I tend not to go to my bureau to get them when I may or know I will be out in the sun for awhile.

Scoots5012
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2004, 3:43 pm

magic wrote:
Scott, can you describe lens flare? I am not familiar with the term (but I bet I am familiar with the effect).

Lens flare is a secondary reflection that occurs when bright points of light reflect internally inside a lens. The same thing happens with glasses, but in a slightly different way. As an experiment, you can go outside when it's dark and look up at a bright street light, then look around near the light with out moving your head, you should a see a secondary spot of light near the street light, thats lens flare.

Everything you ever wanted to know about lens flare

http://jonathanclark.com/diary/flare/

magic
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2004, 5:30 pm

Scoots5012 wrote:
Lens flare is a secondary reflection that occurs when bright points of light reflect internally inside a lens.

Thanks, I now recognize the phenomenon. Flares are dark blue in my glasses. The anti-reflective coating must be working - money well spent. Can you point me to any good info on polarized lenses?

Scoots5012
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2004, 5:59 pm

You can go talk to your eye doctor, or you can google it. Although I think your eye doctor can give you a much more clearer picture (no pun intended) as to what polarizers can do.

Unico
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

31 Jul 2004, 7:01 pm

alex wrote:

I hate wearing glasses. I started wearing soft contact lenses a few years ago. Back in eighth grade I tried hard contacts, but they'd get lost in my eye (incredibly painful), so I developed a mental block against contacts. My optometrist thought I should try and wear contacts because supposedly it's more likely to slow a decline in vision (my vision was rapidly declining and I had a detached retina when I was 15 so I was blind in my left eye, except for peripheral vision, for a couple months).

I get annoyed by dirt, streaks, scratches... everything. And I hated it when it would start raining while I was outside because then my glasses would be covered with water. I also twisted, broke my frames a couple of times, so I wasn't very good with glasses. Contacts were hard for me to adjust to (I was really grossed out by touching my eye), but I eventually adapted.

tetragon
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

01 Aug 2004, 4:24 pm

I've been wearing glasses since 2001, and I'm not even going to consider contacts. While the resting on my ears and nose gets irritating and I don't like how the non-glasses part of what I see isn't clear, I don't think I could properly deal with contacts. If I could even put them in, I know I would probably forget to take them out or clean them. Besides, they probably wouldn't do anything about how the world looks than extend the non-fuzzy area. I don't think that they would stop the slight second image I get of stuff (not a lens effect, unless it is caused by the lenses of my eyes), I think they would just exchange more of the fuzzy second images with more distracting sharper second images (and first images).

kevv729
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2006, 4:43 am

I have been wearing glasses since I was age 4 years old. I remember the first time that after I got glasses I was looking at a lake and could see boats people on the lake for the first time. My mom and dad just smiled at Me. So even after 38 years of wearing glasses ti has become apart of Me for sure.