Screaming proven to drain stress levels

Page 1 of 2 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

username88
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2007, 4:52 pm

Before I was kind of tired so I wanted to take a nap but I was stressing too much to get to sleep. So I put on Deathspell Omega, "For fire and void become one", turned up the volume and screamed my ass off to it. It did wonders. I still kind of feel it and Im going to do the same with other songs right now to make me feel better again. The song matched the excact feeling I had too, but chances are you wont find it for yourself cause years ago I got lucky at Spinnakers (I think thats how you spell it), an underground cd shop in Main St, Hyannis. Its a split with Mutiilation so I doubt there are any copies left. (They even have a "Norwegian black metal" section :lol: )
Anyway, this method of screaming has always worked great for me if I feel that my stress or other negative feelings have gotten too out of control. Does anyone else vent like this?

username88
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2007, 5:14 pm

Ah, feel much better now, Family Guy is on so Im gonna go get rid of my depression temperarily now. :)

hartzofspace
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

14 Sep 2007, 7:04 pm

I used to be able to get a huge adrenaline rush from listening to Prodigy in my car, when driving long distance. It literally would wake me up and energize me. But I didn't scream, though - just annoyed the other drivers with my loud music. :twisted:

wsmac
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2007, 7:58 pm

This is a good question and a great topic... does screaming relieve stress?

I use to scream into a pillow when I was a kid, because I 'knew' no one wanted to hear me scream and they would think I had gone crazy.

That never quite relieved all the stress. I was disappointed.

But, like you, once I found songs that I could relate to and when turned up to a specific volume 'scream out' to, I had a much better experience with stress relief.
I also incorporate body movement, heavy rocking, hand/arm gestures, dancing, jumping...

Thanks for starting this thread! :D

I'm looking forward to the other comments as they come in.

username88
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2007, 8:03 pm

wsmac wrote:
I also incorporate body movement, heavy rocking, hand/arm gestures, dancing, jumping...

Im guilty of doing that, Im sure it makes me look like a fool to others but I dont care! :oops: Not when Im by myself anyway. It helps burn energy pretty well too.

Last edited by username88 on 14 Sep 2007, 8:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Claradoon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

14 Sep 2007, 8:12 pm

"Wholly to be a fool while spring is in this world my blood approves"
ee cummings

Yes, me too. I think more people than we know - maybe that's what discos and raves are about

username88
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2007, 8:20 pm

Lol I dont think Ill ever be able to express myself using my body at a disco or rave but there was this kid at my highschool who was the bass guitarist for Leukorrhea and I went to go see his concert. While I was there people noted later how wild I acted, but I felt comfortable because everyone else was acting in a similar manner. I even saw this kid doing some kind of strange limp kind of dance and no one thought it was strange. I was just thrashing out and headbanging wildly though, that night this big guy picked me up during one of the songs and flipped me over his head and I landed hard on my knees. I didnt feel the pain until after the show because I was full of so much adrenaline. I really wish I had more moments like that in my life..

Claradoon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

14 Sep 2007, 9:12 pm

Something to add to our Aspie Colony: a time and place to be wild.

In the meantime, is there a place where people can let go?

You know, when I go swimming, that's the only time I don't have to keep my knees together like a lady etc etc etc like Mom taught me. So to me, swimming is a little wild and free.

username88
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2007, 9:14 pm

Claradoon wrote:
In the meantime, is there a place where people can let go?

A nudist colonie? :lol:

SpectreWithin
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

14 Sep 2007, 11:21 pm

I don't usually scream myself but I can relate to the use of "screaming" music to relieve stress. I usually let the singers scream for me. It feels like a release even just hearing it. Music such as black metal, death metal, death-doom is good for this.

I do sometimes think I'd like to try doing those kind of vocals myself one day. I'm usually a very quiet, reserved guy but I think it would be nice to let go of that restraint at times.

username88
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2007, 11:28 pm

I was the same way at first, but try it, youll be surprised what you can be capable of.
Would you be interested in hearing any of my vocal recordings? Id also like to hear some of yours if you ever make any.

SpectreWithin
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

14 Sep 2007, 11:39 pm

Well I'd mainly be worried about disturbing the neighbors too much. I live in a fairly quiet residential area. Most people don't understand the value of black-metal screaming. :) If I lived in the middle of the nowhere it might be easier to do.

I'd be curious to hear your recordings. If I ever make any of my own I'll share.

username88
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2007, 11:48 pm

Ive posted some of my ambient creations( http://www.wrongplanet.net/modules.php? ... &start=135 ), some of them have growling/chanting "vocals" but I havent posted any black metal screaming yet.
Ill look through my recording discs now to see what I can find and upload them for you.

username88
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2007, 12:16 am

Ok it appears I cant find the disc right now as I have a huge mess of them and it might take a while, sorry to keep you waiting if you were. Ill post when I find it but if I dont Ill make some new ones tomorrow.

edit- Nevermind I found one now, and Im uploading it.

SpectreWithin
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

15 Sep 2007, 12:34 am

Listening to your previously posted stuff now. Nice work - you conjure some great dark atmospheres and moods. I love dark ambient stuff like that.

I've done a fair amount of stuff in a dark ambient vein myself but a lot of it is on cassette (recorded long ago when consumer CD burners were a high-end luxury or nonexistent!). I still need to buy a good tape deck to transfer them onto my computer, I haven't had a tape deck for years. Your stuff reminded me about that though - I should really get my old recordings transferred sometime. I have like 30+ tapes of my music just collecting dust right now.

username88
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2007, 12:44 am

deleted.

Last edited by username88 on 15 Sep 2007, 12:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.