Page 2 of 2 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

UncleBeer
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2007, 1:06 pm

davershar wrote:
PS: the famous "romeo and juliet" theme is Prokofiev, even if thcaikovsky composed a tone poem about those two.

Mmmmm....I'd quibble on that point. I think the average man-on-the-street is far more likely to recognize the Tchaik melody than the Prokofiev.

davershar
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

18 Sep 2007, 1:49 pm

Tchaikovsky is better known,but in Romeo and Juliet theme, Prokofiev's ballet is much more famous than Tchaikovsky's tone poem.

UncleBeer
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2007, 4:02 pm

davershar wrote:
Prokofiev's ballet is much more famous than Tchaikovsky's tone poem.

Again, I'd disagree.

dongiovanni
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

18 Sep 2007, 6:07 pm

Asparval wrote:
MeshGearFox wrote:
But the Rite is not a serial piece. The Rite is early Stravinksy and I love it. I like a good deal of Stravinsky's music until the late 1940s. I was referring to the 12 tone method of Schoenberg that Stravinksy adopted in the 50s and 60s, when even Copland felt a need to follow the Darmstadt crowd.

I remember seeing a programme in which Stravinsky was talking about the Rite of Spring and demonstrating the series of notes the themes where based on. He was definately talking in terms of it being a result of his interest in serial composition but I accept it may have been an early example.

Unless I am getting hazy on my theory I'm sure that there is a very subtle difference between purely serial compositional principles and the basic atonal theory of Schoenberg (although Schoenberg used serial principles too).

Sacre has the element of heavy chromaticism, but to be truly "serial", it has to follow Schönberg's matrix system (with P, R, I, and IR). The musicological term used for Sacre and Petrushka is primitivism.

I won't translate it because it doesn't mean anything.

mightyzebra
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2007, 3:39 am

Quote:
I love early Stravinsky best. I never tire of Petrouchka. Even the piano version is great. mightyzebra, I think you would enjoy watching/listening to that ballet. The violin concerto is probably the only classical period piece that I often listen to, although the symphony of psalms is interesting. I never bother with the serial period. He stopped being Stravinsky at that point. I just heard on the proms Hans Werner Henze talking about how he thought Stravinsky was more radical than Schoenberg because Schoenberg was a bourgeois who saw himself as carrying on the great german tradition. Stravinsky treated the classical tradition like a garbage dump.

Thanks MeshGearFox, I'll listen/look out for that, :lol:. I don't have any Stravisnky CDs or records at home, but hopefully I'll be able to find another piece somewhere soon.

Regards, mightyzebra

"The natural world is the greatest source of excitement; the greatest source of visual beauty; the greatest source of intellectual interest. It is the greatest source of so much in life that makes life worth living." David Attenborough

KindofBlue
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

20 Sep 2007, 6:54 pm

I listened to CD 1 of a two CD set of Stravinsky ballet music conducted by Abbado and LPO. Didn't blow me away. It had Rite of Spring, Firebird and Jeu de carte. CD 2 has Petrushka and Pucinella so maybe it will be better.

mightyzebra
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2007, 3:59 am

KindofBlue wrote:
I listened to CD 1 of a two CD set of Stravinsky ballet music conducted by Abbado and LPO. Didn't blow me away. It had Rite of Spring, Firebird and Jeu de carte. CD 2 has Petrushka and Pucinella so maybe it will be better.

Do you prefer blues? After all, you do have a blues avatar. Not sure what kind of music blues is. Could you please name some blues artists if you know any, thanks?

Regards, mightyzebra

"The natural world is the greatest source of excitement; the greatest source of visual beauty; the greatest source of intellectual interest. It is the greatest source of so much in life that makes life worth living." David Attenborough

richie
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

29 Sep 2007, 6:28 pm

I have the Cleveland Orchestra recording of Stravinsky's "The Rite of Spring" and "Petrushka" (1911 Version)
as directed by Pierre Boulez.

As for blues try Ali Farka Toure