Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

19 Sep 2007, 2:42 pm

Did you know you don't need to be skin and bones to be an anorexic?

I was just diagnosed with it and I didn't even know about it till yesterday. I told one of my online friends and he kind of suspected it because of my attitude about food and my boyfriend suspected it too because I don't eat much and my aunt and uncle wouldn't believe it , nor my Dad. I don't look like I came out of concentration camp. I get told I am very thin and I been told I am slender and underweight by my shrink. My boyfriend also says I'm slender.

Anubis
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2007, 2:45 pm

You don't need to be a skeleton to be anorexic, no.

Anorexia is screwed up and nasty, I hope you get over it somehow.

siuan
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2007, 3:19 pm

Yep. There's a website tells you all about that here: http://www.makaylashealingplace.dnswh.com/

Anorexia is a mindset, and defining it only by body size/weight is quite limiting. Most people with eating disorders look very...average. Some, like you, are thin. Very few are actually emaciated. By that point you have the psychological component (the mindset) and a physical illness component, which makes treatment much more difficult.

Anyway, yes, I served many years of ED-NOS, a lovely combination of anorexia and bulimia. I don't recommend it. I'm sorry you've been diagnosed with this and I hope you are able to emerge from it successfully.

Graelwyn
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2007, 3:49 pm

I had physically for 10 years on and off. It consumed me entirely, all I cared about was writing out lists and lists of calorie counts for everything, studying images of thin models, checking labels on food... in a way, it was as intense as any other aspie obsession, just a whole lot more destructive. At my worst, I was 70Ibs and could get my hand round my thigh and hands round my waist.

I abused laxatives and vomited too, and boy did my teeth suffer for it.

I still have the mindset of an anorexic, but physically I am not thin anymore.

richardbenson
Xfractor Card #351
Xfractor Card #351

19 Sep 2007, 4:48 pm

i have male aneorexia :lol:

devster21
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

19 Sep 2007, 5:08 pm

I beat anorexia.

Just kidding, I was the same way in high school. About 165-170lbs and 6'4. Now I weigh about 195lbs. Its something that I learned to deal with overtime.

Graelwyn
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2007, 5:15 pm

devster21 wrote:
I beat anorexia.

Just kidding, I was the same way in high school. About 165-170lbs and 6'4. Now I weigh about 195lbs. Its something that I learned to deal with overtime.

That is one fattypuss :P

AspieMartian
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

19 Sep 2007, 5:39 pm

I have an ED too. It's very misleading to define an ED by how much weight a person loses or gains. It's not about pounds at all. It's also not about what other people think is acceptable for you - one person's idea of "slender" or "fat" could in fact be an very unhealthy ideal for another person. Once, I had an aunt tell me was fat when I was 12-13, and I only weighed 105 pounds at 5'4". In fact, at the time, I was a little underweight. But no surprise I spent the next 6 years trying to keep my weight under 110 pounds, despite growing taller, going through puberty and developing breasts.

All EDs hinge on unresolved psychological issues with anxiety, personal control and self-worth. Someone who is anorexic or bulminic may be doing these behaviors not necessarily to look a certain way, but to impose a sense of control and order, to alleviate anxiety or compensate overwheming emotional responses. I know a lot of anorexics who may not be dangerously thin but still have very serious psychological issues. So even if they aren't "concentration camp" thin, they're still unhealthy AND unhappy. For example, that's not uncommon is for the anorexic to deny her/himself food and then "prop" themselves up with rationalizations like "See, I can control what I eat unlike my fat mother/sibling/classmates/Britney Spears/etc" and that makes them feel OK for a little while - until the next thing that throws them emotionally off-balance. The problem of course is that it's irrational and the behavior is not an appropriate or effective response to the real problem, which is usually anxiety, feeling "chaotic emotions" or low self-worth.

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2007, 7:25 pm

My grandmother died from an eating disorder.

It sickens me how people will turn away food and starve themselves just for the sake of self-esteem.

ArcAngel06
Raven
Raven

19 Sep 2007, 7:34 pm

[quote="devster21"]I beat anorexia.

I too am sucessfully fighting a winning battle- my ass is leading the victory- only kidding, I hope you are okay

hartzofspace
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

19 Sep 2007, 7:53 pm

Anorexia and Mania. My two favorite words. Sick, huh? :twisted: i

jaleb
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2007, 11:38 pm

I hope you are getting the help you need and recover from it!

"Be kinder than necessary,
for everyone you meet is
fighting some kind of battle".

siuan
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2007, 2:53 pm

IdahoRose wrote:
My grandmother died from an eating disorder.

It sickens me how people will turn away food and starve themselves just for the sake of self-esteem.

Does Asperger's sicken you too? The way people will stim for the sake of their own comfort?

People don't choose to have an eating disorder any more than they choose to have any other condition, and it's a nightmare to be caught up in it.

siuan
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2007, 2:57 pm

Graelwyn wrote:
I had physically for 10 years on and off. It consumed me entirely, all I cared about was writing out lists and lists of calorie counts for everything, studying images of thin models, checking labels on food... in a way, it was as intense as any other aspie obsession, just a whole lot more destructive. At my worst, I was 70Ibs and could get my hand round my thigh and hands round my waist.

Sounds familiar. I had some substantial dental bills (in the thousands) and my poor esophagus will never fully recover.

Graelwyn
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2007, 4:43 pm

siuan wrote:
Graelwyn wrote:

Sounds familiar. I had some substantial dental bills (in the thousands) and my poor esophagus will never fully recover.

I get a lot of digestive issues...lot of gas and acid at times, but other than that... luckily, in spite of the laxative abuse, my bowels work fine nowadays. My bones suffered and I lost an inch in height, and teeth... I keep getting cavities and it is like years and years since I vomited so it does annoy me somewhat.

hartzofspace
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

20 Sep 2007, 7:22 pm

Probably that's where I got my G.E.R.D from. I have to take medicine for it every day, without fail. And still, I dream of being ever thinner.