Page 2 of 3 [ 44 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

nobodyzdream
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2007, 11:59 am

digger1 wrote:
How the hell is someone supposed to know if a vaccination at 6 months old caused you to be autistic?

I don't think that it is necessarily asking if anybody knows it 100% or anything. I think what the poster, if it is the post I'm thinking of, was asking if anybody THINKS it did due to all of the controversy. That's what we do, and that would have nothing to do with hypochondria. It's simply just trying to see another side of things, another opinion. The OP of the thread (the one I'm thinking of) actually says she doesn't think vaccinations cause it at all and that there really is not much of a link. Which leads me to believe it is simply an inquiry to gain more perspectives and discuss it overall.

I fail. I don't see where there is anything wrong with any of those posts. Not all of them are asking if it is AS related, necessarily, but asking if anybody else goes through it and how they deal with these things. A lot of these things are quite common among a large portion of the community here, and are noticed by those who share the same difficulties. The ones that are not overly common always have a few that share the similar problem. On any support forum you visit, you will likely find similar questions pertaining to seemingly silly things for those that do not share that in common, but very decent discussion topics and lots of advice for those that do.

I'm my own guinea pig.

postpaleo
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2007, 12:17 pm

digger1 wrote:
How the hell is someone supposed to know if a vaccination at 6 months old caused you to be autistic?

The same kind of dire warnings were pervasive when they started putting fluoride in drinking water. If I'm not mistaken it even goes back further then that. Not related to AS, but give them a minute.

UncleBeer
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2007, 12:47 pm

postpaleo wrote:
digger1 wrote:

The same kind of dire warnings were pervasive when they started putting fluoride in drinking water. If I'm not mistaken it even goes back further then that. Not related to AS, but give them a minute.

Heh; when Marconi set up his huge, primitive radio apparatus in England 100-odd years ago in an attempt to send signals across the Atlantic, his facility was plagued with armed maniacs who claimed the radio waves were driving them mad.

As Arthur C. Clarke once wrote, "any sufficiently advanced form of technology is indistinguishable from magic.". :lol:

serenity
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2007, 1:20 pm

I like many of the responses that I've seen so far. There's another POV that I'd also like to point out. It's the fact that when you read a post you have no idea what frame of mind the person is in that wrote it in the first place. There are many many people on this board that have depression. Last week I made a post about something that was important to me. Someone mocked it. I realize now that the person was a bit of a troll, and I shouldn't have paid any attention to them, but at the time I wasn't thinking of the situation as clearly. I was already very depressed, and that made it way worse. I come here, because I resonate with what a lot of people post about. I don't feel so alone when I read that there are other people who struggle with the same things. I don't know if I have AS or not. I'm not going to say one way or another until I get an evaluation. I've been an outcast as long as I can remember, and to find a group of people that have had similar experiences has been a dream come true. It's also very hurtful to feel rejected by them, too. I've been on the outside looking in all my life, and for once I felt like I could be on the inside. For some people the sense of belonging that they feel here on WP may be the only place they've felt that their entire life. I don't feel like anyone has the right to take that away from them. There are posts that I think are stupid, but I just move on. Just because I don't relate to a post doesn't invalidate it. AS is extremely diverse, as is many of the joys, and struggles that come along with it. This is a discussion forum for people to converse about those joys, and struggles. There isn't anywhere else in the world that I can think of (besides another AS forum) that I can talk about the fact that some smells can actually make me vomit, or how hard it is for me to be in a crowded room with a fan blowing because I can't make out the conversation with all the background noise, and not have everyone look at me like I'm some kind of freak. When people tell you that it's all in your head on here too it hurts even more.

monty
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2007, 1:26 pm

postpaleo wrote:
digger1 wrote:

There are two types of possible error: hysteria and false confidence. Sometimes people get alarmed about something regardless of how harmless it may be. And shoe stores used X-ray machines to let people measure the size of their foot without having to take off the shoe. Then the dangers of radiation were better recognized.

Both types of error are common. Initial hysteria has a tendency to blind people to any smaller (but real) risks that something may have. Once a reaction to something is shown to be hysteria, most people declare it safe and close their minds to any further examination of the facts.

Fluoride can cause real problems for people with certain thyroid problems.

Sedaka
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2007, 2:25 pm

digger1 wrote:
I've been seeing a lot of posts since I've been here asking the question if their everyday illness or condition is related to their AS. Grinding your teeth, a dislike for a specific sound or smell, a fondness for shiny things, "does having AS give me synesthesia?", "what's a good way for me, an AS sufferer to wipe my nose?", "can you experience love while having AS?", "Can you cry or be happy with AS?", "did my vaccination as a kid cause my AS?"

here's another condition you might want to familiarize yourselves with

lol i think you may be onto something

got free science papers?

www.pubmed.gov
www.sciencedirect.com
http://highwire.stanford.edu/lists/freeart.dtl

Remnant
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2007, 11:25 am

Serenity, I really understand that problem. People say that "it's all in your head" but they will either not help you put something else in your head or even act to prevent you from putting something else in your head.

(Or work to put things in there that don't belong.)

Remnant
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2007, 12:17 pm

monty wrote:
postpaleo wrote:

Fluoride can cause real problems for people with certain thyroid problems.

That makes sense. Thyroid glands depend on iodine, which is a halogen, and fluorine is another halogen. Those elements are chemically similar.

rdos
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2007, 1:29 pm

digger1 wrote:
I've been seeing a lot of posts since I've been here asking the question if their everyday illness or condition is related to their AS.

Grinding your teeth

Absolutely AS-related: http://www.rdos.net/eng/aspeval/#535

digger1 wrote:
a dislike for a specific sound or smell,

Very likely correlated, but I cannot refer to a specific question in Aspie-quiz.

digger1 wrote:
a fondness for shiny things,

Related: http://www.rdos.net/eng/aspeval/#583

digger1 wrote:
"does having AS give me synesthesia?"

Related conditions

digger1 wrote:
"what's a good way for me, an AS sufferer to wipe my nose?", "can you experience love while having AS?", "Can you cry or be happy with AS?", "did my vaccination as a kid cause my AS?"

Not AS-related.

digger1 wrote:
here's another condition you might want to familiarize yourselves with

That's not really fair. Most of the preferences you listed above are just that. Preferences.

BTW, coughing *IS* also related to AS (and Tourette): http://www.rdos.net/eng/aspeval/#621

criss
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2007, 3:47 pm

Thanks serenity, I feel the same.

"We are here on earth for a little space to learn to bear the beams of love." (William Blake)

Thank God for science, but feed me poetry please, as I am one that desires the meal & not the menu. (My own)

RB
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

22 Sep 2007, 7:48 pm

I might be one of these people, but I've noticed so many little similarities between myself and others diagnosed with AS I just have to ask. I know it must get annoying, I just want to know more. I'm tempted to make a huge list of my quirks to ask those officially diagnosed to compare with since it gives me some kind of satisfaction, however I think I will resist after this post. :)

rdos
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2007, 2:43 am

RB wrote:
I might be one of these people, but I've noticed so many little similarities between myself and others diagnosed with AS I just have to ask. I know it must get annoying, I just want to know more. I'm tempted to make a huge list of my quirks to ask those officially diagnosed to compare with since it gives me some kind of satisfaction, however I think I will resist after this post. :)

A good idea. It would complement the quirks I have & that I've seen in others, and some of the quirks might be highly relevant for ASDs even if I haven't identified them yet. If yuo give me your list, or post it on a thread, I'll look into what would be novel and put those quirks as experimental questions in Aspie-quiz.

Space
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2007, 2:54 am

This has got to be a troll thread...

Cyanide
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2007, 4:52 am

TheMidnightJudge wrote:
Sometimes, when I'm relaxing in bed, I suddenly black out, sometimes for hours! And when I awake I have bacteria growing on my teeth. Is this AS related?

Yes it is! Go see a Podiatrist immediately!