Page 1 of 3 [ 44 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

digger1
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2007, 8:29 pm

I've been seeing a lot of posts since I've been here asking the question if their everyday illness or condition is related to their AS. Grinding your teeth, a dislike for a specific sound or smell, a fondness for shiny things, "does having AS give me synesthesia?", "what's a good way for me, an AS sufferer to wipe my nose?", "can you experience love while having AS?", "Can you cry or be happy with AS?", "did my vaccination as a kid cause my AS?"

here's another condition you might want to familiarize yourselves with

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2007, 8:43 pm

I don't think a cough would be AS-related.

Tim

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

digger1
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2007, 8:52 pm

I know reading between the lines is hard for people with AS but try to keep up.

It was a non-sequitus example. I know coughing isn't an AS symptom and neither are the other things I listed there.

TheMidnightJudge
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2007, 9:06 pm

Sometimes, when I'm relaxing in bed, I suddenly black out, sometimes for hours! And when I awake I have bacteria growing on my teeth. Is this AS related?

2ukenkerl
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2007, 9:06 pm

digger1 wrote:

It was a non-sequitus example. I know coughing isn't an AS symptom and neither are the other things I listed there.

You don't have to be so harsh with such an innocent post. I DO understand your apparent anger at the hypochondriac way of seeing things. Still, it is interesting that some of the trends exist. Few are like your post though. Shiny objects are SUPPOSEDLY more preferred, but I don't and some others I know also seem to have no such preference. Dislike for certain sounds is popular, and IS true for me. In fact, it is far worse than a mere dislike.

digger1
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2007, 9:08 pm

sorry if it came across that way.

void
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

20 Sep 2007, 9:18 pm

Is my big head (literally) AS related? 8O

Triangular_Trees
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2007, 9:33 pm

digger1 wrote:

However, look at what you did list and what you left out. You listed somethings that are genuinely related to having aspergers, mized in with some things that aren't, and then buried your link to hypochondria. Most people wouldn't bother to click on the link given the information you gave.

siuan
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2007, 10:03 pm

People come here seeking answers. For many of us, our entire lives have been a puzzle. When faced with new information, it is pretty normal for anyone to ask the question, "Is this also possibly related?" when it seems different or quirky, as many AS traits can be.

I think you ought to click on the link and re-read what hypochondria actually is. Being curious about a disorder one already has is not hypochondria. People, especially those newly diagnosed, are naturally curious about the scope of their disorders. I think it is a positive dialogue. Further, many of us are just seeking like minds, after years and years of feeling like a fifth wheel.

As for those questions you're knocking, about expressing of emotions, those are quite valid inquiries. Most of us appreciate the discussion, as a wealth of knowledge lies therein.

I would suggest that if those posts bother you, you should simply avoid reading them.

Last edited by siuan on 20 Sep 2007, 10:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

NeantHumain
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2007, 10:04 pm

I only read the subject line, but yes.

Remnant
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2007, 10:28 pm

I should probably be the last person on Earth to b***h about someone using a confrontational style to get attention.

Digger, I think you have a good thesis. Now, can you write something good to support it? This is a good subject and it's one of my favorites. Seek and you shall find. If you look for "symptoms" you will find "symptoms."

monty
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2007, 10:58 pm

digger1 wrote:
I've been seeing a lot of posts since I've been here asking the question if their everyday illness or condition is related to their AS. Grinding your teeth, a dislike for a specific sound or smell, a fondness for shiny things, "does having AS give me synesthesia?", "what's a good way for me, an AS sufferer to wipe my nose?", "can you experience love while having AS?", "Can you cry or be happy with AS?", "did my vaccination as a kid cause my AS?"

here's another condition you might want to familiarize yourselves with

Yeah, people are grasping, trying to understand. Not necessarily because they are hypochondriacs (dunno why that link was there), but because they are looking for common patterns, things that may be different compared to NTs. Some of these really do involve common patterns for aspies that are different from most other people, but for other things there may not be any aspie pattern or standard aspie response. That's ok, it's just talk - no big whoop. You will find this on most forums that are focused on a medical condition.

I'm working on a study to definitively answer the question "what's a good way for me, an AS sufferer to wipe my nose?" I will pm you a copy when I finish.

postpaleo
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2007, 11:10 pm

It might be. I got one some months ago, seemed off to me. Earlier this week I discovered it's a side effect of the current med. Any further questions?

LabPet
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2007, 11:16 pm

Digger1 - I think you're onto something......I DO like carrots.

correlation?

thyme
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2007, 11:31 pm

I think my tooth-grinding is caused by my AS.

gwenevyn
l'esprit de l'escalier
l'esprit de l'escalier

20 Sep 2007, 11:32 pm

siuan wrote:
People come here seeking answers. For many of us, our entire lives have been a puzzle. When faced with new information, it is pretty normal for anyone to ask the question, "Is this also possibly related?" when it seems different or quirky, as many AS traits can be.

I think you ought to click on the link and re-read what hypochondria actually is. Being curious about a disorder one already has is not hypochondria. People, especially those newly diagnosed, are naturally curious about the scope of their disorders. I think it is a positive dialogue. Further, many of us are just seeking like minds, after years and years of feeling like a fifth wheel.

As for those questions you're knocking, about expressing of emotions, those are quite valid inquiries. Most of us appreciate the discussion, as a wealth of knowledge lies therein.

I would suggest that if those posts bother you, you should simply avoid reading them.

Thanks. That's pretty much exactly what I would have posted if you hadn't. :)