Page 4 of 4 [ 59 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

budgenator
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

20 Mar 2010, 3:06 pm

IdahoRose wrote:
I walk on my tip toes all the time when I'm at home, especially when I'm happy. However, after reading how much it can mess with the Achille's Tendon, I'd better stop because I'm an avid runner and I like running much more than toe-walking.

Toe walking doesn't damage the Achille's Tendon if you stretch it properly, which you should do even if you don't toe walk. I'm not sure if I ever really was a toe walker other than like most toddlers, but the soles of my feet are very sensitive and violently ticklish, so I can see how I easily could have been.

Ambivalence
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2010, 3:56 pm

I tiptoe a lot. I particularly love to tiptoe barefoot on lino, for some reason. :?

The year is still young.

morrison
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

20 Mar 2010, 4:20 pm

I always wonder , what is bad about walking on tiptoes? if it is the most comfortable way of walking? I am only doing so when being barefoot and in scks btw.

morrison
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

20 Mar 2010, 4:23 pm

Kitsy wrote:
I like walking on my tip toes. It's fun! Out of curiousity, did anyone else as a child find yourself in the store stepping on tiles in the floor with two colors but you chose to step on only one color of the tile? For example black and white tile. You chose to step only on the white or black tile?
I am still doing this lol alhough i do it in my kitchen(but the difference is the size of the tiles not colour)

HikariOkami
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

23 Mar 2010, 12:38 am

Quote:
We had colored tiles in our house, they were mostly grey ones with white tiles and black tiles randomly placed. I used to only step on the white tiles until I left when I was 17.

I did that ALL the time :). When there wasn't a tile to step on, I would make them up, or imagine the floor was made of giant balance beams. I did this to the point that I remember walking on these beams, and was surprised when my mom told me that there were no beams, and I had imagined it all 0_o.

makuranososhi
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2010, 1:09 am

My gait is often referred to as somewhat... strange. When standing or making small movements, I stand on my toes. When striding, as a result of so much time spent in marching band, I have a rather distinct rolling heel-toe or "glide" step. But when I run (not often) then it is most natural to run on the balls of my feet; landing on my heels feels ungainly and is rather painful to impact in that manner.

M.

For those who seek an alternative, it is coming.

So long, and thanks for all the fish!

Shebakoby
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2010, 2:19 am

Oh man I did this lots. I don't do it as much anymore because it's not possible for me to do it a lot, my feet hurt too much.

Ebonwinter
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2010, 2:31 am

I run faster on my tips compared to my flats

Danielismyname
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2010, 2:39 am

It's something I've never done.

millie
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2010, 3:01 am

I toe walk in bare feet and cannot stand the feel of textures on the soles of my feet. I can walk with soles to the ground on soft carpet.
My mother also toe walks in bare feet and also cannot stand textures on the soles of her feet. She can also handle soft carpet.

I rarely stand without shifting from foot to foot or some kind of pacing. I abhor the feeling of standing with weight born evenly on both legs and both feet. I need to shift back and forth. I am told it may also be related to the need for soothing movement and also because of low muscle tone in my lower body.
It's the same with slouching. I was always getting into trouble at school for lounging across my desk, doodling or rocking on my chair and most of it was because my body couldn't support itself comfortably and because of my need for rhythm which helped to subdue my sensory overwhelm.

It's all interconnected for me and it tends to relate to my sensory issues.

rmgh
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2010, 4:39 pm

YES! I found out about this on the programme Autism, Disco and Me by BBC Manchester and it being linked to autism. I was shocked when I found it out. I don't know how much I did it when I was really young, but I remember when being a teenager, people always used to make fun of me for walking on my tip toes. I made a conscious effort to avoid doing it because of that, but now that I'm away from my school and most of the people I knew, I'm doing it again. Not so much when I'm in shoes, anymore, which I guess is a good thing.