Page 2 of 4 [ 59 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Kitsy
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

24 Sep 2007, 1:13 am

I like walking on my tip toes. It's fun! Out of curiousity, did anyone else as a child find yourself in the store stepping on tiles in the floor with two colors but you chose to step on only one color of the tile? For example black and white tile. You chose to step only on the white or black tile?

ToadOfSteel
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2007, 1:25 am

I walk on my toes 40-50% of the time (especially while barefoot), but don't have any running problems. In fact, the only barrier to my running ability is that i'm a fatass who runs out of breath after 10 seconds of concentrated sprinting... no problems with my achillies tendons, though...

poopylungstuffing
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2007, 2:33 am

Kitsy wrote:
I like walking on my tip toes. It's fun! Out of curiousity, did anyone else as a child find yourself in the store stepping on tiles in the floor with two colors but you chose to step on only one color of the tile? For example black and white tile. You chose to step only on the white or black tile?

yeah yeah yeah

as far as the running goes..i have never been a good runner as a result.
i have been a very good/far walker though.
Am currently very out of practice.

santabarbarian
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

25 Sep 2007, 5:13 am

I'm 37 and I have a very bouncy walk on my toes. When I have lived in an upstairs apartment I have heard comments from those who lived below me, "You are so quiet I don't even hear you walking". People have always thought my gait and toe walking was strange but it is natural for me. When I walk by a mirror or reflecting window I am often surprised by how bouncy my walking is.

Thom_Fuleri
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2010, 3:33 pm

(Raises thread from the grave)

Fascinating! I don't walk on tippytoes normally, though I sometimes do when barefoot or in socks. Mostly I tiptoe on stairs, but this makes more sense for me - I have size 11 feet, and most stairs seem to be designed for people with smaller feet.

I also have a habit of climbing stairs two at a time, and I often run up them too.

HikariOkami

19 Mar 2010, 3:56 pm

I used to walk on tiptoes all the time, but a year or two ago I was able to get myself to stop walking like that in public. It has messed up my achilles tendon, but not too badly (I just have trouble doing some stretches in PE) and walking like that relieves stress for me.

Morgana
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2010, 3:56 pm

Desolation_boi wrote:
I was a big toe-walker as a child, to the point where there was a joke in my family about how I was destined to be a ballerina

This was my experience exactly, although it wasn´t just my parents that said it; it was the neighbors, my pediatrician, and basically everyone around me. Funny thing is, I took them literally (ha ha) and in the end, I become a professional ballet dancer! (If you think walking on toes is good, dancing in pointe shoes is really great! :D )

Nowadays, I don´t exactly walk on my toes anymore, but every now and then I get the urge to do some dance steps en demi pointe (tiptoe), in the privacy of my apartment. I might even do this while making dinner or something.

justMax
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2010, 4:07 pm

I have calves of steel and thighs like tree trunks, always did, took years of body building to balance my upper body against my lower musculature.

I do the toe thing when running especially, and kinda switch between it and a normal gait, as walking on my heels hurts my feet unless I'm in my new balances.

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2010, 4:29 pm

I walk on my tip toes all the time when I'm at home, especially when I'm happy. However, after reading how much it can mess with the Achille's Tendon, I'd better stop because I'm an avid runner and I like running much more than toe-walking.

spiders
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

19 Mar 2010, 4:29 pm

Kitsy wrote:

As a toddler I walked on my tip toes all the time. My mum said she was worried I'd do it all my life. Now I do it occasionally. When I'm barefoot I curl my toes under, I don't walk like this (Mum said I did as a toddler), but if I'm sitting or standing, they are curled under.

We had colored tiles in our house, they were mostly grey ones with white tiles and black tiles randomly placed. I used to only step on the white tiles until I left when I was 17.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2010, 4:54 pm

I still walk on my tip toes. I've done so, my whole life. I guess that I think it makes me taller.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2010, 5:04 pm

IdahoRose wrote:
I walk on my tip toes all the time when I'm at home, especially when I'm happy. However, after reading how much it can mess with the Achille's Tendon, I'd better stop because I'm an avid runner and I like running much more than toe-walking.

Yay it's Sam.

No I don't walk on my tip toes. Never had.

MONKEY
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2010, 6:04 pm

Up to about the age of 11/12 that was the only way I actually walked. Nowadays I only toe walk when walking up stairs or if I'm on cold tiles with bare feet.
My mum always tried to get me to stop, she made me do stretching excersises so I don't f**k up my tendons and my school shoes were always chunky monstrosities up until I was 13. I did stop (most of the time), but that was because I decided, it was nothing to do with my mum.

My brother is a toe walker as much as I was and my mum is even more determined to get him to stop. She even had him in casts for a few weeks when he was 5 to straighten his feet out and it worked for a short time. And she gets most of his school shoes from the hospital so he looks like he's wearing space boots. It really pisses me off because there's nothing wrong with toe walking it feels quite good so why is my mum making such a fuss about it?? I keep telling her to leave him alone and he's fine but she won't listen.

lyricalillusions
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2010, 6:31 pm

I did for a while when I was a kid, but not for long. It's odd because I didn't even start doing it til I was between 10 & 11 & stopped at around 12.

tinmaiden
Raven
Raven

20 Mar 2010, 2:46 am

I have always done this. I think it might be because of the fact that I was so obsessed with therapods as a child, and I admired the way raptors walked, but I can definitely relate to this post.

-Fyodor Dostoevsky

gramirez
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2010, 8:15 am

I've been a toe-walker since I could walk, though I don't do it much anymore.