Do people treat you like your mental/neurological probs are

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

Ana54
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2007, 12:30 pm

"your fault"?

Once my mother told me my autism wasn't my fault but either she didn't seem to believe it, or she thought I brought it upon myself and/or aggravated it and that WAS my fault... she still seemed depressed and maybe a little disdainful.

She seemed stressed about me a little when I was depressed but said that my depression wasn't my fault, and she wasn't so depressed herself any more so she meant it, at least mostly. She also always told me when talking about other people with mental/neurological problems, after saying that this one has problems or that one has an "illness", "It isn't his fault though", "It isn't his fault, but..." or "it isn't her fault"...

I was given a pamphlet and papers with my first bottles of Celexa that said depression does not mean lack of character, you can't just "pull up your socks" and it isn't your fault, it's a disease, etc. I actually read that over and over again; it made me feel better for some reason.

KingdomOfRats
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2007, 1:01 pm

get that so often,off both relatives especially.
never blame parents for am being autistic,as am have just got on with it and take what it brings,but they have always blamed am,and in the earlier days,said should never have been born.

a lot of it is ignorance,people like that need teaching,about autism/whatever and their own child and how it affects them,they think there has to be a blame somewhere,and as they don't want to accept it,they'll blame the person with the problem instead.

get parents some good autism,asd in general, or aspergers books [depending on which end are on,or books about other conditions],when am got some books for mum and dad,via sister from amazon,they actually started respected am,and they got to learn about autism as well.

9CatMom
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2007, 7:53 pm

Definitely not.