Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

yvaN_ehT_nioJ
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2007, 4:26 pm

Lately a problem has developed in the way I speak. I have started to stutter whenever I say a word for some reason. (Which then causes me to have to pause, then I have to think of a word to say that will allow the sentence I'm having the stuttering in to achieve the same effect)

This has been happening at least once a day and it's getting annoying and has become a bit of a problem. Any advice on solving this problem?

alexbeetle
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2007, 4:33 pm

I may have something similar, words come on a conveyor belt in my mind and if I can't pronounce one then it crumbles and creates a gap so I have to quickly fill the gap with other words to describe the missing one or restart the sentence.

It might look like I'm doing nothing, but at the cellular level I'm really quite busy.

siuan
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2007, 6:10 pm

When I'm anxious, irritated or angry, I stutter a little.

BazoQ
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

25 Sep 2007, 6:52 pm

Actually, when I'm totally stressed or anxious, I do more than stutter. I can't speak at all. Selective mutism I believe it's called...

Sucks...

BlueMax
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2007, 7:19 pm

BazoQ wrote:
Actually, when I'm totally stressed or anxious, I do more than stutter. I can't speak at all. Selective mutism I believe it's called...

Sucks...

I can somewhat relate to that... in my case it's because I'm thinking FURIOUSLY about all the different things I COULD say in that stressful situation - like when a bullying supervisor is giving you the third degree and every single thing you tell them is tossed aside and ignored. (eg: my supervisor accused me of chatting online, I told her I was writing a company email - I could even send her a copy... it didn't matter. Her goal was to give me a dressing down and no FACT was going to stop her.)

She assumed (aloud, to my face) a few times that "anyone who apologizes so fast" and "anyone who can't look at me" and "anyone who has to think about it" is a liar, etc.

It's a good thing my strong moral code forbids me from giving her what she SO rightly deserves. :evil: :evil: :evil:

yvaN_ehT_nioJ
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2007, 8:09 pm

The stuttering happened in my Spanish 2 class. I was answering a questiong in Spanish that someone asked me and I couldn't say the first word in the sentence.

We were describing how we felt at the time of that excercise and I tried to say that I felt bored (I actually felt apathetic but I didn't know the word for that, but that's not the point here) but I couldn't say the word estoy. I stuttered and paused and I struggled saying the word but I couldn't use a different one because I had to use it. When I stuttered this caused people to start imitating my stuttering and people commented on how red my face was. I finally said estoy and finished the sentence though. But I did not like this incident.

What I thought strange was that when I tried saying estoy to myself I could say it fine, no stuttering at all, but when I tried to say it aloud I would just stutter.

I think I shall tell my mother about my stuttering tonight.

username88
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2007, 9:03 pm

BazoQ wrote:

Sucks...

Thats one of the biggest things that people are turned off about me by. It makes me appear to be "too silent", and thus, boring. It doesnt show as much when your talking online though, which is good.
Its a vicious cycle. When you feel good you can talk easier but it always turns into a disaster in one way or another, and whenever you should have talked its because you were too afraid/stressed/anxious to because of past social experiences, or anything really.
Probably could have explained that better but w/e

arem
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

25 Sep 2007, 9:38 pm

I stutter on and off, I think it's mostly driven by anxiety. I get it talking to some people more than others (people in a "superior" position, usually).

I could barely form a sentence a couple of days ago, I was asked to go and have what would likely be an argument with someone (the person asking wasn't capable of it themselves, and had already tried & failed to get their point across).

I tried saying no, but the other person was (probably rightly, for reasons too long to explain here!) insistent. I tried telling them I would, but (due to a sudden and huge increase in anxiety) I couldn't actually form the sentence. It didn't help that they took my constant stuttering as a sign I wouldn't do it, and kept telling me that I needed to, etc.

Argh! Normally my (social) anxiety issues are pretty minor, but I suppose that's mostly because I carefully avoid everything that I know will stress me out :)

Brittany2907
The ultimate storm is eternally on it's
The ultimate storm is eternally on it's

25 Sep 2007, 10:32 pm

yvaN_ehT_nioJ wrote:
Lately a problem has developed in the way I speak. I have started to stutter whenever I say a word for some reason. (Which then causes me to have to pause, then I have to think of a word to say that will allow the sentence I'm having the stuttering in to achieve the same effect)

This has been happening at least once a day and it's getting annoying and has become a bit of a problem. Any advice on solving this problem?

Stuttering...always been a problem of mine since I first learn't how to speak. My stuttering is not related to social anxiety I don't think. It's just sometimes It seems that my body does not want me to talk, so when I try and force out words I stutter.
Very irritating.

yvaN_ehT_nioJ
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2007, 10:53 pm

It is quite irritating because it makes people think your nervous, don't want to do something, etc. And the fact that stuttering is made fun of makes it a bit worse.

And I told my mother about my recent stuttering problem. She said to research on the internet on how to help with stuttering. :?

Some help she proved to be.

alegziz
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

25 Sep 2007, 11:38 pm

I had a problem with stuttering in high school. The two things that seemed to work best were 1) switching words, either to a synonym or the French word (French was the language I took) and 2) singing instead of saying the next word. You have to be careful with that one; I'm pretty sure it's why I now get complaints that I always sound like I'm lilting, but at least I can talk.

I believe it works because both foreign language and singing mean you're using different parts of your brain, but I don't promise that's why.

Mine was mostly stress-induced, and long term I ended up using vitamin supplements to help cope. If it's psychosomatic and it works, that still means it works.