Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

autism connected with a spiritual feeling?
yes 28%  28%  [ 11 ]
no 53%  53%  [ 21 ]
no idea 20%  20%  [ 8 ]
Total votes : 40

smallfriend
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

27 Sep 2007, 3:14 am

autistic people have connection with some thing beyond
what your expr.

Graelwyn
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2007, 4:33 am

If anything, the majority here seem less connected to anything spiritual, due to the high tendency to logical/rational thought and the less rational sides of spirituality, although I note a high number of Christians.
I myself follow no religion but am highly connected in terms of spirituality.

MrMacPhisto
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2007, 5:57 am

I don't what to say about that because in a way everyone has a connection spiritually with some people it's not a big thing to others it is a big thing and a very important thing in there lives and take it very seriously. I am a christian when my dad was alive he was a Pastor of a church I believe in a very powerful God but I don't like conflict in other religions I think that is wrong and very sad alot of people get put off by conflict but it is different sects of those religions that causing all the conflicts not the actual people who follow there religions. For example when 9/11 happened it wasn't an actual Muslin who went into the twin towers it was a group of muslim who were part of a muslim cult that did it.

Cordelia
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

27 Sep 2007, 6:46 am

i think that I am very connected. but the problem I think is that most people now-a-days don't study or belong to churches so they don't know about God.

Bart21
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2007, 6:50 am

I feel no connection at all to any of those things.
I am a realist that does not believe in things that aren't proven.

Sedaka
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2007, 6:58 am

your pole does not match your thread title

i am very spiritual and do not believe in god per se

got free science papers?

www.pubmed.gov
www.sciencedirect.com
http://highwire.stanford.edu/lists/freeart.dtl

Quirky_Girl72
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

27 Sep 2007, 7:40 am

Graelwyn wrote:
If anything, the majority here seem less connected to anything spiritual, due to the high tendency to logical/rational thought and the less rational sides of spirituality, although I note a high number of Christians.

I definitely agree! I also think some people w/ AS or Autism may be drawn to Christianity, since they are made to feel accepted by their converts and/ or the Christian community in general.

MishLuvsHer2Boys
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2007, 9:43 am

Quirky_Girl72 wrote:
Graelwyn wrote:

I definitely agree! I also think some people w/ AS or Autism may be drawn to Christianity, since they are made to feel accepted by their converts and/ or the Christian community in general.

I agree as well though I am much less connected with spirituality but I did grow up in a Christian family that went to church and all and for me, it felt like a routine, so in some ways it used to be comforting.

Spaceplayer
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

27 Sep 2007, 10:07 am

Formerly religious, now atheist after reading Ayn Rand (though I was suspicious before that!). Still take an interest in things Jungian, mythological though. The thing about Rand and Objectivism is that there is a certain respect for religion as an early form of philosophy. And there is a shared idea of reverence, the object of worship has changed from God/Supernatural to Man (as opposed to men)/reality. Christianity was appluaded for the notion of individual salvation. Anthem was a conscious choice to make the comparison of a religious hymn to the human spirit , her view of art is "not man as he is, but what he might or could be." Not man as a collection of chemicals, but man as a creator. Not man as a statistical average, but man as potential creator. So there is an idea of spirituality there, just one that's geared towards life on Earth as opposed to an afterlife. That's how I respond to myth, fable, Harry Potter...not as literal gods and dragons, but metaphors for the human spirit: sure, Perseus didn't REALLY slay the Kraken, but it FELT like he did. The inspiration of Harry Potter, Luke Skywalker, Hermes, etc. is in the overcoming of obstacles and saying that achievement is possible.

Aspiegirl89
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

27 Sep 2007, 10:51 am

There's actually a book called Autism and the God Connection. it's very interesting if anyone is interested in reading it. There are a lot of anecdotes and stories that are fascinating.

Noa
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

27 Sep 2007, 12:26 pm

Deeply agnostic, leaning hard toward skepticism when it comes to anything "supernatural." But I do believe that "God" or Hashem or whatever you want to name the Ultimate Concern is a real and universal synergism or drive toward compassion and love. I don't believe in any sort of supernatural, unverifiable personalities.

Urk. It's hard to explain. A lot of my personal perspective comes from process theology, one form of which takes the stance that "God" is a process, not a person. Rabbi Harold Kushner explained it best in his introduction to When Children Ask about God: A Guide for Parents Who Don't Always Have All the Answers. I highly recommend this as a discussion of non-theistic spirituality and faith.

Malachi_Rothschild
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

27 Sep 2007, 12:33 pm

Do I have a connection with spirituality? Yes, very much so. Do I have a connection with something beyond? I'm skeptical of the possibility, but also open to it.

ev8
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

27 Sep 2007, 1:00 pm

I believe in Christ as the disembodied embodiment of love. I'm not a Christian, though.

mlapere
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

27 Sep 2007, 1:55 pm

I have always felt that this life is definitely just the appetizer for something greater; I have always felt a sense of purpose, but with my ADHD issues have often applied this personal "dharma" towrad negative things. I don't know what my purpose is honestly, but am attracted to substantive things. I have changed careers a million times and have gone back to school for something I never thought I would do, so I am no expert. I just feel like we have the "right" perspective on the world, and everyone else is just stuck in a rut; its like they are all in a trance and can't see reality. This sucks because we don't get along well and people think we are just crazy or stupid.

username88
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2007, 5:44 pm

Ha no.