pedantic aspie spelling nazis 0, lazy aspie dyslexics 1

Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

TheMachine1
Veteran
Veteran

Location: 9099 will be my last post...what the hell 9011 will be.

27 Sep 2007, 6:28 am

:D

http://www.reuters.com/article/oddlyEno ... 21?sp=true

Quote:
About 16,000 words have succumbed to pressures of the Internet age and lost their hyphens in a new edition of the Shorter Oxford English Dictionary.

Quatermass
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2007, 6:50 am

TheMachine1 wrote:
:D

http://www.reuters.com/article/oddlyEno ... 21?sp=true

Quote:
About 16,000 words have succumbed to pressures of the Internet age and lost their hyphens in a new edition of the Shorter Oxford English Dictionary.

Ve vill never survender!

On sabbatical...

Fedaykin
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

27 Sep 2007, 8:09 am

Time for a language inquisition with public bonfires.

Inventor
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2007, 8:44 am

How tragic.

Macbeth
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2007, 9:25 am

"Printed writing is very much design-led these days in adverts and Web sites, and people feel that hyphens mess up the look of a nice bit of typography," he said. "The hyphen is seen as messy looking and old-fashioned."

Another triumph of style over content in the NewSpeak dictionary.

weird_el
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

27 Sep 2007, 9:31 am

Not tragic at all. I like this phasing out of hyphens. By profession, I'm a typeformatter (graphic artist), and I agree that printed words look a lot better without them.

unnamed
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

27 Sep 2007, 11:06 am

Agreed! I hate hyphens. That's one reason I love German. Can you imagine how funny it would look if they used hyphens? :lol:

monty
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2007, 12:32 pm

Surely you see the irony of this, TheMachine1! Today's avant garde may overthrow the current use-patterns of the hyphen, but the grammar nasties will not be defeated; they will simply enforce this as the new orthodoxy. {The real issue is {freedom}} to {StringTogether symbols WhateverWayWEthinkIsBEST}.

Macbeth
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2007, 12:58 pm

monty wrote:
Surely you see the irony of this, TheMachine1! Today's avant garde may overthrow the current use-patterns of the hyphen, but the grammar nasties will not be defeated; they will simply enforce this as the new orthodoxy. {The real issue is {freedom}} to {StringTogether symbols WhateverWayWEthinkIsBEST}.

Amen. Bad speeling iz stil baad speeling. Just changuz der natchur uf der complaynt.

(Its REALLY hard to consistently spell like that, y'know.)

JDoherty
Toucan
Toucan

27 Sep 2007, 1:07 pm

I have to admit that I still like the use of hyphens.

TheMachine1
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2007, 1:13 pm

A forum devoted to support and fellowship is an example of a
place where the rules of formal English are not required. People who are dyslexic should install a spell checker and check all their posts as I do. People who have a high expectation of others here using formal English should get real this is an internet forum not an English class.

monty
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2007, 1:22 pm

I agree with that and do not make it a habit to criticize spelling, punctuation or other mechanical things. Sometimes I ask for clarification if I do not understand. I was replying to your quote on hyphens, which many will find quite distressing.

Macbeth
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2007, 1:37 pm

Some people react badly to being corrected, which is a shame, because otherwise how might they learn? I dont mean the dyslexics, i'm referring to those who have simply spelled something wrong. It's not always meant with foul intent.

However, some people impart the correction in a nasty way, which doesnt help either.

That, and the spelling/grammar nazi trick is yet another internet convention to get out of answering a question. I'm beginning to really hate those.

"I cant address what you said, so i'm going to pick holes in how you spelled it."

Gits.

TheMachine1
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2007, 1:48 pm

Macbeth wrote:
Some people react badly to being corrected, which is a shame, because otherwise how might they learn?

People with aspergers are extremely bad at accepting
constructive criticism. That same over stimulation of the
amygdala that makes various social situations unbearable also likely fires automatically when a person corrects you. When
a long acting oxytocin agonist is available it might reduce the problem to a bearable level.

Last edited by TheMachine1 on 27 Sep 2007, 1:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Macbeth
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2007, 1:50 pm

TheMachine1 wrote:
Macbeth wrote:
Some people react badly to being corrected, which is a shame, because otherwise how might they learn?

People with aspergers are extremely bad at accepting constructive criticism. That same over stimulation of the amygdala that makes various social situations unbearable also likely fires automatically when a person corrects you. When a long acting oxytocin
agonist isavailable it might reduce the problem to a bearable
level.

Too true. Not just us either lol. Its all in the way you say it, I reckon.