Chronic Fatigue Syndrome linked to autism/aspergers/adhd?

Page 1 of 2 [ 32 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

jaydog
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2007, 5:56 pm

well done some interesting research, and pretty much all of the below relates to aspergers and autism/adhd. thought you might be interested. you can look up everything in wikipedia.org too. but based on my research related to aspergers, alot of stuff relates to depression,ptsd,ocd,anxiety disorders which i found out alot of people with aspergers has and even at the wikipedia.org and other medical sites it says too.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clinical_depression
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aspergers
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autism
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adhd
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adult_atte ... t_disorder (interesting information)

Natural Therapies for Chronic Fatigue Syndrome:

-Genseng And Echinacea
-Essential Fatty Acids(flax seed. omega 3)
-Coenzyme Q10
-NADH
-L-Carnitine
-Magnesium
-DHEA
-Digestive Enzymes
-Glutamine
-Whey Protein
-Adapton
-Folate
-Licorice
-Tyrosine
-MATE

What may help also for Low Energy/Lethargy is to increase intake of fruits, vegetable and grains. Oats is a good choice. Lose any excess weight as this will sap the body of energy.

LOW ENERGY/LETHARGY

-Vitamins B Complex (monster energy drinks is one)
-Magnesium
-Zinc
-Vitamin C
-Gota Kola
-Ginseng
-Liquorice root
-Saw Palmetto
-Damiana
-Bee pollen
-Cayenne
-pottassium (such as bananas and or gatorade) depends on what the like.
-Caffeine (stay away from soda pop though such as pepsi, coke, etc) ) Ritalin which medication drug for depression/anxiety/adhd/- has the same stimulant as with Methylphenidate, Atomoxetine and Caffeine, which is the most effective intervention?

Gienseng and Echinacea: Ginseng is a herb that increases energy. Echinacea is a herb that can help for cold and flus. It is known for its ability to stimulate the immune system and suppress infection-causing microbes.

Licorice: It has a sweet taste and help combat fatigue. Ritalin which medication drug for depression/anxiety/adhd/- has the same stimulant as with Methylphenidate, Atomoxetine and Caffeine?

what are your thoughts on this? it sure seems like it would make a big difference in the autism/aspergers community since most of us are wrongly diagnosed with anxiety disorders/ptsd, ocd, etc?

Jainaday
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2007, 6:51 pm

Uh, some of us are rightly diagnosed with anxiety disorders, PTSD, OCD, and whatever other alphabet soup you were listing there.

Interesting research, though.

Healthy diet will help with most things, at least a little. . .

hartzofspace
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

01 Oct 2007, 7:04 pm

I've seen a lot of correlations between CFIDS, PTSD, and the autistic spectrum. I have often suspected that the stress of living with autism has had a direct role in my current diagnoses of PTSD and CFIDS.

poopylungstuffing
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2007, 7:15 pm

Um...what is CFIDS?

Anywhoo..I take a cocktail of natural remedies to deal with stress, fatigue, and sensory overload...and sometimes (like today) it can still be really difficult.
Thanks for the list. I have tried alot of that stuff....

Licorice can tend to raise my blood pressure for some reason if I take it regularly...but I like it...

I take a (vile-to-other-people) concoction of apple cider vinegar, cayenne pepper, instant stevia-sweetened yerba mate tea with a dash of baking soda....in a 32 oz glass water jug...that helps out a bit.

I am about to have a double-dose of emergen-C in a cuppa yogi green tea for energy...am feeling kinda chronicly fatigued at the moment

hartzofspace
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

01 Oct 2007, 7:39 pm

CFIDS is Chronic Fatigue Immune Disorder Syndrome. BTW, if you take the Deglycyrrhizinated kind of licorice, that will prevent it affecting your BP.

HankPym
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

01 Oct 2007, 10:59 pm

I'll try toread this.

Kezzstar
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2007, 2:27 am

My hero Alastair Lynch from the Brisbane Lions had CFS!! !! !! !! !! OMG.

Sorry, the title of the thread got me excited that I might have a chance to talk about Lynchy.

monty
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2007, 3:08 am

I believe that I am too quick to produce adrenaline and cortisol, and too slow to stop producing it. This wears me down and is a factor in anxiety and depression. It is not classic chronic fatigue.

mechanima
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2007, 11:35 am

Don't pay too much attention to the Wikipedia articles on AS or autism...particularly on co-morbidities.

To make a long story short, the Autism and AS articles have been somewhat "shanghaied" by an individual with Tourettes, OCD, serious control issues and 60 -80 hours a week to schmooze and browbeat her own way past any objections. (It's all far more suited to a private game of chess than an encyclopaedia)

The co-morbidity sections were put in to flatter a specific editor (who has a penchant for Maxine Aston, Faas and demonising Aspies) into "making up the numbers" for consensus.

I will say though, that, as coping with AS in the world tends to cause chronic fatigue, there may be a grey area of confusion between the two?

M

kittenfluffies
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2007, 11:42 am

I don't think it's classic Chronic Fatigue. I think it's just general exhaustion from being overstimulated all day by noises, lights, and human interaction. Of course, I'm not an expert but I'm willing to bet that it's fatigue induced by environmental factors as opposed to a clinical cause.

mechanima
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2007, 12:12 pm

kittenfluffies wrote:
I don't think it's classic Chronic Fatigue. I think it's just general exhaustion from being overstimulated all day by noises, lights, and human interaction. Of course, I'm not an expert but I'm willing to bet that it's fatigue induced by environmental factors as opposed to a clinical cause.

Exactly, to me that is "common sense 101"...

Still it must be quite hard to distinguish between generic chronic fatigue and CFS, especially as they still haven't fully defined CFS yet?

M

Beenthere
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2007, 2:03 pm

Diagnosed with CFIDS & FMS approx 5 years ago, sick for approx 2 years prior...there's alot more to it than fatigue.

Like having the flu...but it doesn't go away after a week. Swollen glands, dizziness, sore throat, low grade fever, and not being able to think because you're so tired... is just a little bit of it...basically you feel like you've been slammed by a sumo wrestler. Ashamed to say, I never "believed" in it...until I ended up with it.

I'm doing alot better...the last two years I've seen marked improvements...I just pray it continues.

Relationship? I believe it could be very likely there are alot of parallels...especially I've noticed with CFIDS. The studies I've ran across by Rich Van Konynenburg Ph.D and glutathione depletion which seem to be present in both echo that a bit.

http://www.co-cure.org/RvK1.htm

Also interesting:

"Chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS) has been linked to five mutations in three genes that are related to the body's ability to handle stress."

http://www.medpagetoday.com/Neurology/G ... gy/tb/3130

I think autism can make us more prone to developing disorders similar to this. I think there's a risk factor we should be aware of. The same genes that make alot of us unable to walk past a CD rack without lining crap up might be creating enough stress so we end up developing other stuff later on down the road.

hartzofspace
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

02 Oct 2007, 10:43 pm

http://www.cfids-me.org/

At least they are trying to come up with a more realistic, credible name. (Myalgic Encephalomyelitis.) I find it annoying to tell people I have Chronic Fatigue, and have them stare vacantly and say, "Oh, I get like that."

The link above goes into that a little. I've had it for over ten years. It struck down a good salaried position in a Health Care Corporation, and destroyed lots of relationships. Sometimes there are days when I can do nothing but feel lousy and sleep. And sleep. Other times, there are inexplicable times of mild energy, lasting two or three days, if I'm lucky.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2007, 11:12 pm

I wonder if that explains my need for energy drinks?

Curiosity
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

22 Aug 2008, 8:59 pm

I know that this topic has not been added to for a long time, but I only recently learned I was an aspie. I am 54 and was diagnosed with CFIDS 15+ years ago. Now that I know I am an aspie, looking back at my life, I do feel there is a major connection between CFIDS and Asperger's, at least in my case.

I never understood why I was always so frustrated working in corporations. I was a perfectionist. I worked and tried above and beyond most folks I ever worked with, but did not understand why life at work was so difficult for me. I worked numerous hours,etc.

I believe I wore down my immune system what with the frustration and perfectionism. Only now can I look back and understand and see the connection.

Beenthere
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2008, 11:02 am

Quote:
I believe I wore down my immune system what with the frustration and perfectionism. Only now can I look back and understand and see the connection.

I think that was a major contributing factor in my case also. :(

...and by the way... Welcome Curiosity! :wink: