No hugs allowed at Ill. middle school

Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

jrknothead
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2007, 8:23 am

Looks like the zero tolerance nazis are at it again...

Triangular_Trees
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2007, 8:26 am

As a teacher, and going by my own experience in middle school, I must say I agree with this (having not yet read the article). Middle school is typically when students begin fondling each other, etc, andI can see how hugging could potentially be used to rub up against one another.

doordoctor
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2007, 9:06 am

i can see the point in this rule to ill. middle school, the mass huggings in middle schools clog hallways and also i view a school as a place to learn not stand and dramatise with your boy/girlfriend

this rule was in effect with my high and technical school and i am totally with the rule, in 10th grade i had an overly friendly asian boy after me. the way the school building was built (large atruim with skylight in middle with classroom doors along perimiter of the atrium). he has tried to get me into breaking this rule with him and i refused.

after he was caught a few times trying and me refusing, he split up with me due to he thought me fixing door closers was dirty (hahha, id rather kiss my door closer in avator then kiss him!!plus i have seen closers look and smell better then him) he then eventually got kicked out for bothering girls by flirting with them and them refusing. i guess it was the bad stink from him eating asian dishes and claiming that showering would wash away the good spirits, or the class he took, (keyboarding,computer applications)

watch out, dell, ibm, aol,verizon dsl, tech may be using the job to flirt

skahthic
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2007, 11:54 am

There's a difference between friends hugging in a platonic manner and people hugging in a sexual way. Zero tolerance policies are often inhumane because they don't discriminate between the real threats and the non-threats. One girl was expelled from a school here because she had a kitchen knife in her car on campus--- she had been moving and some of the utensils were still in her car. A kitchen knife used to EAT with, and it never left her car, even. But because of zero tolerance, she was treated to the same punishment as a kid who brings a weapon to school with the intention of hurting them.
If, say, one girl loses someone close to her ( a death) and her friend hugs her to console her, should she be punished the same as 2 teens hugging and kissing? Zero tolerance laws are dumb.

Stockton
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

02 Oct 2007, 3:34 pm

When I was in school, I was never fondled or even hugged, but I can see that there are probably good reasons for having this rule. What really matters is not whether it exists, but how it is enforced in practice. Some school staff use their discretion, others don't.

Yet I still can't help but suspect that avoiding lawsuits probably played into the decision to make the rule...

RainSong
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2007, 6:55 pm

doordoctor wrote:
i can see the point in this rule to ill. middle school, the mass huggings in middle schools clog hallways and also i view a school as a place to learn not stand and dramatise with your boy/girlfriend

Yeah, that's what I think. I know here it's hard enough to get through the hallways with people just standing at their lockers; hugging would make it almost impossible. If it's actually a problem there, there's no reason they shouldn't ban it.

Three years!

siuan
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2007, 12:21 pm

That's messed up. Be glad the kids want to hug each other instead of shoot each other. Too often we hear of the horrible stories of violence. Kids in middle school hugging? Give me more of that in the news, don't ban it. I think when kids have a kinship, a closer-knit community, violence and other problems are less likely. When people start policing things as stupid as this, it just creates new problems - like good well-meaning kids sitting inn detention because they HUGGED a friend!! !?

*shakes head in disgust*

Cyanide
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2007, 2:35 pm

siuan wrote:
That's messed up. Be glad the kids want to hug each other instead of shoot each other. Too often we hear of the horrible stories of violence. Kids in middle school hugging? Give me more of that in the news, don't ban it. I think when kids have a kinship, a closer-knit community, violence and other problems are less likely. When people start policing things as stupid as this, it just creates new problems - like good well-meaning kids sitting inn detention because they HUGGED a friend!! !?

*shakes head in disgust*

I think your whole paragraph deserves you a hug :lol: . I wholeheartedly agree.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2007, 4:37 pm

Triangular_Trees wrote:
As a teacher, and going by my own experience in middle school, I must say I agree with this (having not yet read the article). Middle school is typically when students begin fondling each other, etc, andI can see how hugging could potentially be used to rub up against one another.

Is this also why some of the conservative Christian denominations forbid dancing?

Tim

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2007, 4:41 pm

jrknothead wrote:

Looks like the zero tolerance nazis are at it again...

And it just keeps getting weirder and weirder. In a town where I lived until very recently, a high school student was arrested for "stealing" a small cup of melted cheese from the school cafeteria that was worth 25 cents at most. How did the authorities know that he may have accidentally forgotten to pay, or was unaware that he had the cup of cheese with him?

Tim

NUTLOG
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

03 Oct 2007, 5:03 pm

So instead of embracing each other, we should push each other way? Anyone who agrees with banning hugs needs their f**king head tested. Of course hugging can create problems, so can walking slightly too fast, or too slow. Perhaps the hallways need speed limits, 'Walk at a pace of exactly 2 metres per second to ensure an efficient and safe hallway environment!' Or maybe they should ban talking on the school grounds, any exchange of views could potentially cause an arguement! Every opinion must now be voiced via the medium of charades, the universal language of love. :heart:

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2007, 5:13 pm

skahthic wrote:
There's a difference between friends hugging in a platonic manner and people hugging in a sexual way. Zero tolerance policies are often inhumane because they don't discriminate between the real threats and the non-threats. One girl was expelled from a school here because she had a kitchen knife in her car on campus--- she had been moving and some of the utensils were still in her car. A kitchen knife used to EAT with, and it never left her car, even. But because of zero tolerance, she was treated to the same punishment as a kid who brings a weapon to school with the intention of hurting them.
If, say, one girl loses someone close to her ( a death) and her friend hugs her to console her, should she be punished the same as 2 teens hugging and kissing? Zero tolerance laws are dumb.

One girl in Katy, Texas (a suburb of Houston) was disciplined for bringing a pencil sharpener to class. The said sharpener resembled a knife and is the type of pencil sharpener used in Korea, where the student was originally from.

It is getting weird. I witnessed a catfight between two girls when I was in high school, and one of the girls was pregnant. Yet people are worried more about gum being stuck on desks.

Tim

Silver_Meteor
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2007, 12:27 am

How about one that is even more idiotic. In an elementary school in Georgia there was a classmate having an asthma attack so another schoolgirl(who also had asthma) let the classmate use her asthma spray to help her breathe again.

Her reward? She was suspended for violating the school's zero tolerance policy concerning drug abuse and was looking at criminal charges.

Joybob
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

04 Oct 2007, 12:30 am

Hugging leads to dancing which leads to gay marriage which leads to abortions which leads to flag burnings which leads to higher taxes.

This is a completely legitimate concern.

KimJ
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2007, 6:40 pm

Thanks, Joybob, for putting it into its proper perspective. :)

Cameo
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

04 Oct 2007, 8:12 pm

Triangular_Trees wrote:
As a teacher, and going by my own experience in middle school, I must say I agree with this (having not yet read the article).

Having not yet read the article? Do you not see a problem with agreeing with something you haven't read?