Page 1 of 2 [ 31 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Xeno
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2010, 9:36 am

I've always found it difficult to keep from walking that way, especially when I'm not wearing shoes. My parents were always telling me to stop it when I was a kid, I always tried to stop it, and I still do it to this day. And yes, it is a common trait.

sartresue
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2010, 9:50 am

Foot-Ball topic

Actually, I walk on the sides of my feet more, as my ankles are weak. I used to toe or ball walk more, but my mom told me to use the heels as a starting point. This did not feel right, so then I used the sides. :P Doing this might have prevented fallen arches, but I believe also set me up for the state of my now mutilated feet. :roll:

Phuture Phounder of the Philosophy Phactory

NOT a believer of Mystic Woo-Woo

Radiofixr
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2010, 12:22 pm

I also walk on the sides of my feet but walk on the ball of my feet when going up stairs and sometimes loose my balance.

gotang
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

09 Jun 2011, 9:33 am

I recently purposefully started to walk on the balls of my feet rather than heals which is the norm for me.

I had read that ball of foot walking is a less efficient gait for animals.. I decided to change the way I walk, which I don't always find easy, to counter my tendency to in step and I feel it corrects my general posture!

crouton
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2011, 9:39 am

I've just walked a few steps to see. I generally place the whole foot down, and only put my weight onto the ball and toes of the foot as I'm lifting it. I believe this is a fairly normal way of walking...

OJani
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2011, 10:58 am

Wearing shoes I place my feet fairly the normal way, except that I walk more softly and quietly than others (I tend to freak out people with this). Up the stairs I always step on my toes, mostly by double. Down the stairs I use only my toes similarly. My arch is so elevated that I rarely leave watermark of it on the pavement when wet. At home, bare-feet I tend to toe-walk, especially when I suddenly feel excited about something (or nothing at all). Sometimes I run back an forth the apartment leaping on my toes. Quite childish... :)

When I sit, I tend to hold my heels up above the ground for quite long.

Bluefins
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2011, 11:12 am

You should land on the ball of your foot when running, less risk of injury that way.

I occasionally step on my heel when walking on level ground, but the rest of the time it's the ball.

Oh, and http://www.marksdailyapple.com/the-defi ... o-walking/

Last edited by Bluefins on 15 Jun 2011, 12:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SilverSolace
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

09 Jun 2011, 11:45 am

I always preferred walking on the ball of my foot. I'll either walk just on the ball, or I will place both the ball and the heel down at the same time, or just on the sides of my feet.

Putting weight on the heel in a step is jarring and painful, as well as it hurts me knees when I do it too much, so when I run I run on the balls of my feet.

Does/Has anyone else noticed a clicking sound/feeling in their head when they run by landing on their heels? Or was that just me since I had bad posture for a while?

-froggo-
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2011, 12:06 pm

I can't stand walking on my heels when on carpets. Or even standing on them, really.

My parents tried to get me to walk on my heels so I started to stamp the whole foot down. I've tried to start with my heel but it feels weird and I have to concentrate really hard to make sure I don't fall back into habit.

Mostly I walk on the balls of my feet.

SammichEater
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2011, 12:17 pm

That doesn't even seem possible to me. How can you walk on the ball of your foot? Stepping on the ball first and then transferring your weight over to your heel breaks the circular motion of your whole leg, it seems incredibly unnatural and inefficient. I do have an odd gait, but that's more related to most of the weight being put around the outsides of my feet.

pree10shun
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2011, 12:33 pm

I've observed that I use the balls of my feet when climbing the stairs (Can't use balls of my feet when coming downstairs I trip a lot that way :P) or walking on cold surfaces. I also jump on the balls of my feet . I sort of feel that I can jump higher than most people my height (because of which my school basketball team used me as a dunker though I am not very tall).

Last edited by pree10shun on 10 Jun 2011, 2:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

FearOfMusic
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2011, 12:55 pm

I tend to walk on the balls of my feet when I'm barefoot, my mom used to always try to get me to stop. I think I walk more heal-toe in shoes except when running. When running my left foot always ends up contacting my right ankle and by the end of a couple miles my ankle is bleeding... never notice that I'm doing this until after I'm doing running though (unless I think about it).

Dots
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2011, 1:43 pm

I walk on the balls of my feet sometimes. When I first learned to walk, I constantly walked on the balls of my feet, enough that in my right foot the achilles tendon is too short.

When I walk on the balls of my feet in sneakers on a hard floor, my feet tend to get caught up and I trip.

Free speech means the right to shout 'theatre' in a crowded fire.
--Abbie Hoffman

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

09 Jun 2011, 2:04 pm

SammichEater wrote:
That doesn't even seem possible to me. How can you walk on the ball of your foot? Stepping on the ball first and then transferring your weight over to your heel breaks the circular motion of your whole leg, it seems incredibly unnatural and inefficient. I do have an odd gait, but that's more related to most of the weight being put around the outsides of my feet.

I do it by putting one foot in front of the other. Often I don't even transfer my weight to my heels.

With shoes, I tend to walk more "normally."

draelynn
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2011, 2:53 pm

I run on the balls of my feet because running and landing on my heel is amazingly painful - always has been.

I walk heel to toe but I do walk on the outside edges of my feet. Most people walk on the inside edges of their feet. Just look at where your callouses are... I blame that on my clumsiness and random losses of balance (even though tinnitus might also have some implication now).

subliculous
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

09 Jun 2011, 7:35 pm

i have always walked on the front halves of my feet, it just feels more natural, animalistic to me. i do it around the house in my socks. plus, i grew up in an atmosphere where i felt i had to be really quiet, so this tiptoeing helped. i am so good at hardly transferring weight, i could run and no one would hear me.
my mother however, has this annoying way of stomping her feet heel-first on the ground that ALWAYS sounds loud and angry to me. i guess she didn't have to grow up being quiet.