A list/checklist of signs/symptoms/etc? AS and/or Dyspraxia?

Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

Robxx
Butterfly
Butterfly

05 Oct 2007, 8:19 pm

Hi

I got referred to Learning Support at my college and they think I might have Asperger Syndrome and strong elements of Dyspraxia.

I would really appreciate it if any of you had anything along the lines of a list of things that are typical of Asperger Syndrome or Dyspraxia. Not necessarily a summary of major symptoms, but more specific things.

I've had it briefly explained to me and the more and more time passes since it was explained the more bits of it makes sense. Sensitivity to touch and smell, odd posture, unusual gait, etc.

Thank you in advance.

laplantain
Toucan
Toucan

06 Oct 2007, 2:18 am

Some signs that I see in my 4 yr old son, who has apraxia:
Very rubbery feeling arms and legs, "double-jointedness" in every possible joint
Very low sensations in arms and legs- doesn't seem to notice pain
Doesn't understand body positioning and realtionship to gravity
Is dead-weight when you pick him up because he is not supporting his own body weight
Still does not ride a tricycle, scooter, etc, like his peers at school
Spends entire time at park on swings (seeking input about gravity and motion)
Very weak grip on pencil, poor fine motor skills but improving
Looks like a 2 yr old, especial when he is moving

My husband said he had similar delays when he was a boy. What I see in him now is:
Doesn't seem to be "double-jointed" and doesn't remember being double jointed
Has a concave breastbone, which I read is related to hypotonia
Where other people walk around without putting much thought into it, he has to remain very conscious of where he steps/gravity or he will trip (he won't admit this, but I have seem him trip on white lines in the parking lot). He is particularly clumsy when at concerts, public places, where it is noisy or overstimulating
Remembers practicing walking along walls over and over again as a child
Is not able to sense how hard or soft he touches people
Did play volleyball, rollerblades, bike, but started physical activities later in life (30's)
Has a very awkward look when he plays tennis or any sport involving throwing or catching a ball
He is a good driver, though, despite what I have read about dyspraxia
Seems to have incredibly long arms and neck because his shoulders hang really low
Speaks with a accent, bites the inside of his cheek often when chewing, gets tongue tied often, has sleep apnea, which is all I think related to low tone in the mouth, jaw, and throat.

I don't have any physical symptoms, but my father, who I think was also an aspie, made a point of taking us to the park every day, teaching us how to play sports, etc, even though we were girls in the 60's. I don't know if that made a difference, though. My son's therapist said that once you have low tone (not the same as weight lifting low tone), you always have it. That's not the same as dispraxia, I guess, but it looks like it has something to do with it.