Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

dawndeleon
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2007, 6:56 pm

I dont know if this is a twin thing or an aspie thing. When i am alone at home i talk to my cats, the tv, the computer screen and myself. It feels perfectly normal because i like my own company. and i never say the wrong thing. I guess its kind of sad, but i am not really lonely when i do it. I dont hold conversations or anything.. Is this normal?

ev8
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

08 Oct 2007, 7:02 pm

Everyone talks to themself sometimes, whether they admit it or not. It's completely normal, and definitely staves off boredom. I usually have conversations with myself more than random quips to my dogs and other objects, but I do both almost daily. Just have fun with it. :)

username88
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2007, 7:02 pm

I do the same with pets, but normally I only talk to myself if Im stressed or really upset. Im pretty much just like you in that regard. Is it normal? ... Are we even "normal"? :wink:

pandd
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2007, 7:46 pm

I talk to myself, animals and inanimate objects constantly. I also tend to pace while I am at it, especially when talking to myself.

Le_Samourai
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

08 Oct 2007, 7:55 pm

Actually, when I was seeing my psychologist, he said that is actually quite normal to talk to yourself, so yeah its normal. I talk to myself , especially when it comes to thinking about dialogue for scripts and stuff.

michel
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2007, 8:20 pm

I talk to my cat like she's a person, and, believe it or not, she actually responds that way. My neighbor thinks I'm Mr. Doolittle.

And if I'm upset, I will occasionally talk to myself out loud. Like if I'm driving and there's an idiot in front of me. I've been know to also use graphic sign language in those situations... :P

Droopy
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

08 Oct 2007, 8:58 pm

I do that too. The worst thing I do is repeat phrases or words to myself. Sometimes I whisper and sometimes I don't. Earlier I read the thread about not having a boyfriend and I sat here whispering "socially ret*d" over and over again. I don't think most people catch me at it and it's embarrassing when I get "caught". My sister walked by and was like "What'd you say?" I was like "uh, nothing."

*sigh*

nobodyzdream
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2007, 9:21 pm

I talk to myself all of the time. If I mess up on a test and figure out what I did wrong, the teachers will often catch me saying over and over what the answer was supposed to be in a very frustrated tone. It's odd, I tend to talk to myself even more when I am around people than when I am alone. I'll comment on things I see on TV or something, or I'll count things out loud when I'm alone, but it isn't super common. Most of the time it's just me zoning out and thinking about things when by myself.

I'm my own guinea pig.

username88
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2007, 9:25 pm

pandd wrote:
I also tend to pace while I am at it, especially when talking to myself.
Yeah same here.

username88
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2007, 9:29 pm

Droopy wrote:
Sometimes I whisper and sometimes I don't.

This is one of my biggest problems, usually I end up embarrassing myself because I said it loud enough for people to hear. They hear it sometimes even if I whisper though :/ Not usually.. But still

wsmac
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2007, 11:22 pm

WELL!.... I have NEVER talked to myself!

Just because I don't see anyone around me, doesn't mean they're not out there! 8O :P

I have always talked out loud to myself and to other animals and things.

I have people at work tell me I'm talking to myself when I'm not even thinking about it.

I was joking with a friend at work Sunday that I should wear a headband with lights on it... green for when I'm talking to YOU, red for when I'm talking to MYSELF :D , just to help those folks out who can never figure it out.

She in turn came up with an idea for Aspies and a light system for "It's okay to talk to me", and "Leave me alone!" :D