Page 2 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Fedaykin
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

11 Oct 2007, 1:38 am

0_equals_true wrote:
Quote:
="Fedaykin]Two people above said they did. I think it's pretty unnecessary for a person with an ASD to use stimulants though, since our obsessions are our naturally stimulated states, it's just the complicated matter of getting the autistic person to become interested in the studying.

I think the reason why people on the autistic spectrum sometimes don't respond that well to the usual stimulants is because of our natural dopamine highs. Schools should learn to work with autistic children and get them interested in school rather than give them stimulants like they do to other children with lacking attention.

Why do you continue to lecture on ADHD? You don't appear to know much about it. There is not reason for anyone to take drugs if they don't want to. Some people might be told the are ADHD when they are not. Though in the high end you are aware that is something is up especially in adulthood.

I've read a bit on the material available and pondered stuff like who would have gotten a diagnosis when I grew up etc, if there are people whose attention span or hyperactivity is so bad by nature that they can't go through school without drugs, and I wasn't able to identify very many cases. The things I have pointed out make perfect sense - they've mostly just given lack of attention a label. If stimulants that work on the symptoms hadn't been available, they would never have bothered with the diagnosis at all.

I find it a bit odd that you make this remark quoting what I said about ASD and stimulants as well. Do you somehow believe that stimulants are only "ADHD medication" and no one else benefits from it? Fact is, you don't even have to use the stuff prescribed by psychiatry, you could also get the same effect from a fraction of a typical dose of a street drug like "speed". A high dose of a stimulant gets you high, a low dose gets you focused on specific tasks. At the core of the ADHD label, there probably is a homogenous group of children that might benefit from drugs, but it becomes so absurd when they try to link up vastly different neurological profiles as co-morbid when these profiles actually clash - ADHD describes children that are very eager to seek out new stimuli without any anxiety, while children with ASD's are the opposite. The ADHD diagnoses and subsequent stimulant prescriptions have become so inflated and the only thing linking them all together is inattention or hyperactivity, possibly with impairments in executive function in some cases as well, but I don't see very many children being tested for that. Giving a child an ADHD label is simply just psychiatry saying that the child would benefit from stimulants to reach the school goal.

Ah yes, I see that not less than 10% of men in the US have been diagnosed with ADHD. Are you suggesting this many actually have a homogenous neurological disorder?

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2007, 4:50 am

I did not say stimulant are only ADHD medication. They are used for many thing like narcolepsy as I mentioned, also HIV related conditions, various things. Whether everyone who has been diagnosed is correctly diagnosed is beside the point. People who do not have it do not react the same on it. Someone with adhd on the correct dose/drug with not be aware they are medicated on the whole it just can allow them to function. People who take their friend’s Ritalin do. Also it may not improve their attention at all it can often cause hypervigilance, even on very small doses. Btw way real expert on ADHD (rather than family doctors that unscrupulously 'diagnose' ADHD and give out medication that they are actually not allowed to do but still do) do not define lack of attention as you've been saying. That is just plain wrong. It is not defined by not being interested or hyperfocus on something else. If you don't knew the testing methods for distractibility, attention, impulsivity you wouldn't be saying that.