Have you been afraid to tell people you love them?

Page 2 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Dieselsmoke
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

13 Oct 2007, 10:55 pm

I am ashamed to say, I was 53 and my daughter 27 before those words came out of my mouth.
I have never said it to my 35y/o son, nor he to me.

Never ever to my father.

Met my mother when I was 39. Took another 10 years to say it.

Now...I always say it to my daughter and granddaughter. ( G/D has A/s too.)

What I think I'm trying to say here is that, don't do it unless you do, and do it if you do, because it has a powerful affect on the other person.

I have never heard my stepmother or my father say it to me...I'm 63....but we do love each other....this I know.

Stiff upper lip an' all that, old chap!

I have always found it difficult to know what LOVE really means or how you are supposed to feel.
I thought I loved but the feeling seemed to be mechanical...pressure from convention.

I have a habit of over analysing everything.

Does this make sense?

Maxx
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

13 Oct 2007, 11:16 pm

I would be afraid to tell anyone (other than parents of course) that I love them...particularly because I don't know what exactly love is, let alone if I love them. And even if I knew I did, I don't know what ramifications admitting that would have on a relationship. So I suppose I would be afraid regardless.

MysteryFan3
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2007, 11:33 pm

Gee, someone with AS overanalyzing something. I would say join the club, but we were all born there, doing that, wearing the t-shirt. :D

I told my mother I loved her a few months before she died. I was 31. She had been sick with heart problems for 8 years. Don't be ashamed. We take these things a lot more seriously than most people, so it's hard to say because if there's ANY question at all, most of us hold back.

The problem with holding back until there's no doubt is that even if you're sure of the feeling, there's no exact definition or checklist to go by. If you're reasonably sure, say it and share it. It means a lot to the people who mean a lot to you. It's one of the ways people grow and become themselves. That said, don't expect the first time to be easy - be patient with yourself.

Dieselsmoke

14 Oct 2007, 8:17 am

MysteryFan3 wrote:
Gee, someone with AS overanalyzing something. ......................
Like I didn't know that !

It was a sarcastic remark, poking fun at myself, type of joke....gee.....some people :roll:

sarcastic = Implies an intentional inflicting of pain by deriding, taunting, or ridiculing.

In case your offended...sorry...... although you had it coming. ...but you knew that . :lol: Did I say sorry ? :oops: