Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

How long did it take for you to get approved for disability benefits?
Poll ended at 12 Nov 2007, 1:54 pm
1st try 57%  57%  [ 4 ]
1st appeal 43%  43%  [ 3 ]
2nd appeal 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 7

PawsAlmighty
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

13 Oct 2007, 1:54 pm

I'm just kind of curious, this is for anyone who has gotten disability solely based on your Asperger's Diagnosis.
thanks

Mother to 5

2ukenkerl
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2007, 3:15 pm

Do you have a husband? You got diagnosed last month and NOW are thinking about Disability? That ITSELF looks suspicious. You want to have a reason for things like that.

PawsAlmighty

13 Oct 2007, 3:21 pm

I am married, yes
I applied last year on a basis of anxiety and chronic depression, I was turned down twice. The reason I recieved was that the birth of my twins caused my anxiety issues. I just couldn't fight with them, I'm not good at that so I let the issue drop. When I got diagnosed I was told I should apply, yesterday I had iq and memory testing done and he again said I needed to apply because every job I've held I've gotten fired from or walked out on due to stress. I don't understand how this is suspicious? in what way do you mean? like I am doing something wrong by applying?

Mother to 5

2ukenkerl
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2007, 4:09 pm

pawsalmighty,

I'm not making any judgments. I just meant some might wonder because you JUST got diagnosed. The fact that you are married, might affect things also. If you weren't married, you could get WIC at least. I don't think married couples qualify. ALSO, you may not get welfare if the household makes over a certain amount. Of course disability is different. If you have a history of being fired/laid off for stress, you could probably get disability.

14 Oct 2007, 4:00 am

What does appeal mean?

It only took my mother once to sign me up and I got approved.

2ukenkerl
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2007, 6:50 am

likedcalico wrote:
What does appeal mean?

It only took my mother once to sign me up and I got approved.

an appeal is having the case reviewed by another, often with more information, hoping for a better judgement. It is like you never went the first time.

Bart21
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2007, 7:55 am

I got approved on my first try.
I'm out of it now though because i've got a job.
860 euros a month was less than i needed to get by.

2ukenkerl
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2007, 8:19 am

Bart21 wrote:
I got approved on my first try.
I'm out of it now though because i've got a job.
860 euros a month was less than i needed to get by.

That is over $14400 USD!

WOW, when I was in highschool, that was an OK wage for assistence! That was just over the poverty line.

Things have changed a lot! :cry:

Bart21
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2007, 9:23 am

Wel the thing is this.
A few years ago the Euro and Dollar were fairly equal in value.
However, the dollar has gone down in value considerably.
When i got that welfare, i doubt it was worth over 1000 USD at the time.
This welfare is about 75%? of the minimumwage of 1100 with taxes taken off here.
That's if i remembered it right.
There is no way to get by here with that welfare living by yourself.

AnnabelLee
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

14 Oct 2007, 10:01 am

I have been unable to receive any aid. I applied twice thus far. I get fired from jobs because of meltdowns. They will not give me any accommodations though. Isn't that illegal?

Bart21
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2007, 10:16 am

AnnabelLee wrote:
I have been unable to receive any aid. I applied twice thus far. I get fired from jobs because of meltdowns. They will not give me any accommodations though. Isn't that illegal?

It mostly depends on where you live.
In welfare states like the Netherlands it's easy to get aid.
Goverment funded group homes and dsability checks are the norm for people with autism here.
I decided not to because i actually can work and live on my own.
But the expectancy of someone with autism is that they can't.
They are extremely surprised if someone can.

2ukenkerl
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2007, 10:33 am

AnnabelLee wrote:

In the US it IS illegal if you have a RECOGNIZED disability and they don't give you reasonable accomodations.

richardbenson
Xfractor Card #351
Xfractor Card #351

14 Oct 2007, 11:50 am

if you do get accepted dont let anyone know unless you want to be made fun of, thats my only advice

Belfast
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2007, 3:22 pm

richardbenson wrote:
if you do get accepted dont let anyone know unless you want to be made fun of, thats my only advice

Sadly, that seems to be so-especially online, where people don't know the whole context of each individual's circumstances & tend to make snap judgments towards vulnerable strangers.

As to the poll, my experience isn't one of the options provided (didn't do any appeals). I applied twice, 2 yrs. apart, on basis of various physical & mental problems, both times turned down. Then, a decade later, after getting new dx (of AS) I applied a 3rd time & was eventually (after waiting for better part of a year) accepted for SSI. Amount of $ per month isn't enough to live on, though-about $500-and it reduces my welfare benefits (food stamps, utility payment assistance). Had just gotten divorced (having a spouse does not negate my diagnosis) and had never been able to work (even before being supported by husband).

westernwild
Toucan
Toucan

14 Oct 2007, 3:40 pm

2ukenkerl wrote:
pawsalmighty,

I'm not making any judgments. I just meant some might wonder because you JUST got diagnosed. The fact that you are married, might affect things also. If you weren't married, you could get WIC at least. I don't think married couples qualify. ALSO, you may not get welfare if the household makes over a certain amount. Of course disability is different. If you have a history of being fired/laid off for stress, you could probably get disability.

There's a HUGE difference between welfare and social security disability benefits. Marital status has absolutely nothing to do with whether or not you can receive social security disability. I'd say that, if she has had problems with all jobs, she would have a strong chance at getting at least something from ss disability. Having a diagnosis, finally, would actually aid her case because now they know specifically what at least part of the problem may be.

The problem now with ss disability is the huge backlog they have, due to budget cuts and staff reductions ( a deliberate, purposeful starving of ss administration by the current head honchos in the WH, but that's another subject and another thread). It now may take up to three years for any application to be processed, unless it's an absolute emergency.

Life is not about waiting out storms, but learning to dance in the rain-Anonymous

ADoyle
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2007, 4:50 pm

I got it on my first appeal, as I was rejected when I applied. I also had some money before the rejection, but I saved that in case I had to pay them back. I had an attorney who handles Social Security appeals for a living, and I didn't even have to go before a judge. I've heard that most who apply for SSI get rejected but usually appeals are successful. I'm mostly interested in it for the health insurance, as once I get a job, I'd probably make too much for the income.