I bet this doesn’t happen in America

Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

Aspie_Chav
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2007, 12:28 pm

Does a car pickup truck go on a regular route through the suburbs looking for any picking up car that is illegally parked without any notice. Yesterday they picked up a residents car because it was blocking his own driveway. They didn’t give him a ticket or nock the residents door to find out if it belong to him. They just picked it up an left in 2 minutes.

It cost the resident £200 to get the thing back.

WhiteRaven
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

16 Oct 2007, 12:33 pm

i think that might just be against the law, you know

richardbenson
Xfractor Card #351
Xfractor Card #351

16 Oct 2007, 12:33 pm

can you be arrested for sitting on the sidewalk in public in the UK? in some citys in america this actually happens i think. they call it blocking the publics right of way or something

WhiteRaven
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

16 Oct 2007, 12:37 pm

i expect that, if you were deliberately sitting in the middle of the pavement, you may be asked to move, but i seriously doubt anyone would arrest you

rosered
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2007, 1:07 pm

Aspie_Chav wrote:
Does a car pickup truck go on a regular route through the suburbs looking for any picking up car that is illegally parked without any notice. Yesterday they picked up a residents car because it was blocking his own driveway. They didn’t give him a ticket or nock the residents door to find out if it belong to him. They just picked it up an left in 2 minutes.

It cost the resident £200 to get the thing back.

The council has got to find a way to line their pockets.

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2007, 2:58 pm

They did that on The Simpsons, so it must happen somewhere in America.

edal
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2007, 3:25 pm

Hey man, if you want weird stuff then the USA is the place to go.

In Alaska it is an offence to push a live moose out of a moving aeroplane.

In Alabama it is illegal to wear a fake moustache that causes laughter in church.

In Atlanta its illegal to tie a giraffe to a telephone pole or lamppost.

It is illegal in Idaho for a man to give his sweetheart a box of chocolates that weighs less than 50 pounds.

In Chicago it is illegal to eat in an establishment that is on fire.

And finally........................

In Florida, if an elephant is left tied to an parking meter, the parking fee has to be paid, just as it would be for a vehicle.

Feel better now?

Ed Almos

rosered
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2007, 3:54 pm

edal wrote:
Hey man, if you want weird stuff then the USA is the place to go.

In Alaska it is an offence to push a live moose out of a moving aeroplane.

In Alabama it is illegal to wear a fake moustache that causes laughter in church.

In Atlanta its illegal to tie a giraffe to a telephone pole or lamppost.

It is illegal in Idaho for a man to give his sweetheart a box of chocolates that weighs less than 50 pounds.

In Chicago it is illegal to eat in an establishment that is on fire.

And finally........................

In Florida, if an elephant is left tied to an parking meter, the parking fee has to be paid, just as it would be for a vehicle.

Feel better now?

Ed Almos

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I won't ask how you know any of that stuff. 8O :wink:

richardbenson
Xfractor Card #351
Xfractor Card #351

16 Oct 2007, 4:47 pm

WhiteRaven wrote:
i expect that, if you were deliberately sitting in the middle of the pavement, you may be asked to move, but i seriously doubt anyone would arrest you
this might be true, but where i live if you sleep in your car inside city limits you can get arrested or fined because its not a house, so they consider you homeless. its a major crime to be homeless where i live apparently

richie
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

16 Oct 2007, 5:38 pm

I heard it is illegal to grow your own potatoes on Prince Edward Island in Canada. 8O

Xan
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

16 Oct 2007, 5:56 pm

evry country have stupid laws but they are usaly not used.

ands even minor laws that are inn use your usaly given a warning befor they fine you

like inn norway your not allowed to consume alcohol inn a public place so if you do and the police see you they migth take your beer and tell yuo not to do it but they wont fine you.

but if they then see you contiue to drink you migth get a fine.

sorry about my bad spelling got dyslexia

Norwegian aspie site:

http://asforum.110mb.com/index.php

Flismflop
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2007, 6:08 pm

richardbenson wrote:
where i live if you sleep in your car inside city limits you can get arrested or fined because its not a house, so they consider you homeless. its a major crime to be homeless where i live apparently

That law would piss me off. If my state had that law, I wouldn't want to drive anywhere. Driving while tired is a huge risk to public safety.

JustSteph
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

17 Oct 2007, 12:41 pm

In the UK (can't remember where though) someone was taken to court for having her feet up on a seat in a train. when she was asked to take her feet off the seat she said sorry and put her feet down, but they still took her to court.

psych
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2007, 1:10 pm

In the UK you are not allowed to urinate in public unless; you aim at the rear tyre, holding the vehicle with your free hand & you must also have a bale of hay in the boot. Apparantly this has been attempted in recent times in full view of a policeman - unfortuantely for the urinater the policeman was more familiar with the law than he was and he got arrested (he didnt know about the hay-bale in the boot loophole)

In a certain mid-west town (i forget which) you can legally kill a welshman if using a long-rifle :lol:

Triangular_Trees
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2007, 2:17 pm

richardbenson wrote:
can you be arrested for sitting on the sidewalk in public in the UK? in some citys in america this actually happens i think. they call it blocking the publics right of way or something

You can only be arrested for that if you are blocking people from walking on the sidewalk. - if they can easily get around you, you are fine

AV-geek
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2007, 10:18 pm

My Father has parked his vehicle like this for years, blocking his own driveway by parking across the front of it. He has never received a ticket in the 30 years he has done it like this. He lives in the suburbs however, and I wouldn't doubt some idiot parking nazi in a city would give him a ticket if he lived within city limits. The problem is that most cities contract out their parking enforcement to a company that is not even good enough to be called a rent-a-cop. Unlike real policemen, meter-maids don't bother to look up the registration of the license plate before writing a citation or towing a vehicle. For example, a co-worker that works out of our Maryland office has regularly received tickets in downtown DC from meter-maids because his work truck does not have front license plates...and they are not required in Maryland!