Page 1 of 3 [ 35 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Do you look being touched by other people?
Yes 18%  18%  [ 7 ]
No 60%  60%  [ 24 ]
Yes, a lot 5%  5%  [ 2 ]
Definitly not 18%  18%  [ 7 ]
Total votes : 40

Xan
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

16 Oct 2007, 5:45 pm

well it depends, if it is good friends or family i dont mind but if it is just some folks i migth not know so well i dont like it and i paticularly dont like it when folks start toching my hair.

sorry about my bad spelling got dyslexia

Norwegian aspie site:

http://asforum.110mb.com/index.php

richie
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

16 Oct 2007, 5:49 pm

I cannot stand being touched.

Yog-Sothoth
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2007, 5:51 pm

Finally, somebody else!

alegziz
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

16 Oct 2007, 5:52 pm

I don't think objecting to random touch is an Aspie thing. I am extremely, extremely huggy - but only with about ten people, including immediate family. Other than that, a handshake is about the most I'm comfortable with. And, to the best of my knowledge, I'm NT.

It can be such an intimate thing, I've never understood why it seems to be expected that everyone will be fine with hugging near-strangers. I'd rather just hug the ones I am attached to, and have it actually mean something. I have trained a number of my friends not to hug me, even though they hug most people. Unless I love and trust people enough that they might as well be family, I don't hug them. It's like a multi-directional invasion of privacy, otherwise.

Xan
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

16 Oct 2007, 5:58 pm

just one expesion to what i wrote earlyer when i`m drunk i will hug kiss and pretyty much do anything with anyone. =_=

sorry about my bad spelling got dyslexia

Norwegian aspie site:

http://asforum.110mb.com/index.php

Flismflop
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2007, 7:23 pm

It fully depends on the person who is touching me, so I don't know how to vote in this poll.

I feel very uncomfortable being touched by males. I can get very irritated if a male touches my skin or if I can smell their natural odor. I feel completely different if the subject is female.

Xenon
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2007, 9:27 pm

Generally speaking I don't like being touched. I can make exceptions for people I know well and like (and trust). Which mostly means family members and close friends. My supervisor at work likes to use brief touches on the shoulder or upper arm as a gesture of reassurance or support, and it's taken me well over a year to be able to put up with that...

(But then she and I have been getting along lately much better than we used to.)

Novinha
Toucan
Toucan

16 Oct 2007, 9:36 pm

I can hug some members of my family. That's pretty much it. Whenever anyone else tries to hug me, I stiffen up. If anyone touches me in any other way, I can feel it on my skin for several minutes afterward. It creeps me out.

serenity
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2007, 10:48 pm

I don't like being touched unless it's one of my kids, or my husband. Even those people have to give me some breathing room at times. I actually had to learn to like cuddling with my husband. Lack of affection used to be one our big fights. Not a lack of sex, but lack of me reciprocating any kind of cuddles. He said it was like hugging a statue. It's just not natural for me.
I mentally tag people in three categories when I meet them. Not space invaders, space invaders, and MAJOR space invaders. That way I'm not caught so off guard when people run up, and hug me as a greeting. If I can expect it then it's not as uncomfortable. There's also people that reach out, and touch you every few sentences. I don't understand why anyone does this, but it drives me crazy. I keep backing up, but they just step with me. I've noticed that it's mostly women that do this sort of thing. I've never even had my nails done, because I'm quite sure that I'll be uncomfortable with someone touching me so long. Bottom line, I need a ton of personal space.

Kitsy
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

16 Oct 2007, 11:49 pm

Yes but I don't like light fingertipped touches. I prefer the whole hand or palm of the hand.

jjstar
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2007, 12:53 am

I had my space, senses, mind and body violated by others. They simply raped me on all levels - so now I don't like anyone in my space, face or place. I don't like anyone coming in and using me as a playground for their amusement. I get angry. I get panicky. The whole thing causes me to want to die.

Bart21
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2007, 1:56 am

I usually don't mind.
As long as i'm being touched by women.
Don't like being touched by men...
I have a tendancy to not touch people much at all though.
Only my girlfriend, but i'm much less touchy than she is.

iceman314
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

17 Oct 2007, 4:43 am

Since I got a larger reply than expected I suppose I had better goive some response.
Personally I think no, however it can vary depending on the company or the gender of the company and how much I know them. For instance in the company of most people (generally men and women I don't know/don't like) I don't like getting touched. If I can smell them then generally I generally think I'm way too close (just too close is within around 30cm of them). Other people who I do know (the girls who I know better than most [no I don't have a girlfriend] and my best friend). Even then I'm pretty difficult about this (however if I've had a couple of beers I tend to be a bit more flexible). In this case that means that there are only 2 people in the world I'd allow to touch me and 4 who I don't mind touching.
From what I see most people don't like being touched. Must be a pretty common trait.

Khalaris
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

17 Oct 2007, 5:18 am

I don't like being touched. My mom used to complain about me going stiff whenever she tried to hug me. Over time I learned how to let loose. I can't participate in those little touches between friends, like a hand on your arm, things like that. Handshakes are okay, though, as long as they don't last too long.

shopaholic
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2007, 8:01 am

My parents say that as a baby I hated being cuddled.

A good friend of mine (male) has said he finds it very hurtful when I will not hug him or let him hug me - but I can't, because since he is such a good friend, I would regard this as being sexual with him, which I don't want to be.

I never used to let women hug me either; although I have got better about this recently, it still feels very unnatural.

However, if I was in a relationship with someone, I would want lots of cuddles & hugs from him. That is one reason why I got involved with my ex - because I was comfortable with having physical contact with him, I took it as a sign we were meant to be together!

makelifehappen
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2007, 8:28 am

I LOVE touch, but only on my terms.

My family probably wants to kill me because I am so touchy and affectionate.

If I am upset or angry however, please, stay far away from me.

And finally, if I don't know you or know you very little please do not come any closet than 3 feet!

I have had work colleagues try to hug me, etc and man! I must look like such an ass when I freeze up and become stiff as a board!

Why don't people understand personal boundaries???! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !!