Can I get disability benefits for having Asperger's?

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Mw99
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2007, 9:44 pm

The last time I discussed this topic, I was accused of being a bum wanting to live off "hard-working tax-paying Americans." Their claim is not true. I want to work and be independent and earn my own money but every day I feel like I am on the verge of losing my job. At this point, I simply wouldn't be surprised if one of these days I lost my job because of my condition.

That being said, if one day I found myself unemployed and unable to find a job, can I get disability benefits or some type of federal job placement assistance? If disability benefits are a possibility, what's the process a person with AS has to go through to get them?

Last edited by Mw99 on 16 Oct 2007, 10:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

16 Oct 2007, 9:59 pm

Yes you can. You can get SSI. I'm on it but I work. But I don't get any money from them right now because I make too much. When you apply, you call a number and you give them your personal information. Then they interview you (not on the same day) and they ask you questions like how much you have in your bank account. You also have to send them your medical information and all your records. It can take months or a couple years to be approved. They also send you to a doctor to be evaluated. They give you tests like asking you "What do you think (insert phrase here) means?" and you answer it what you think it means and they tell you to draw things and do some puzzles.

Mw99
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2007, 10:14 pm

likedcalico wrote:
They give you tests like asking you "What do you think (insert phrase here) means?" and you answer it what you think it means and they tell you to draw things and do some puzzles.

lol

Can you illustrate with some sample problems/exercises? ie: What questions did they ask you? What things did they ask you to draw?

Space
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2007, 11:27 pm

Mw99 wrote:
If disability benefits are a possibility, what's the process a person with AS has to go through to get them?

step 1: get a social worker
2: get a psychiatrist who will determine how messed up you are
3: if you qualify, you will start getting checks.

16 Oct 2007, 11:58 pm

Mw99 wrote:
likedcalico wrote:
They give you tests like asking you "What do you think (insert phrase here) means?" and you answer it what you think it means and they tell you to draw things and do some puzzles.

lol

Can you illustrate with some sample problems/exercises? ie: What questions did they ask you? What things did they ask you to draw?

She told me to draw the clock and the time after she turned the clock around. I did that and she teven told me to pick up a crayon and I did. I don't know why she was telling me to do stupid things but I obeyed anyway. I don't really remember what tests she did but I remember her telling me to pick up objects like the pencil and putting it back down when she told me too. She asked me personal questions like what do I do if people are bugging me or harassing me and she asked me about my life at home and about my anxiety.

howzat
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2007, 9:30 am

Well i work full tym n still claim DLA only 4 personal care middle rate but i asked my employment support worker n she said im entitled 2 get DLA n work at the same tym.