Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Page:

Dave089
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

Joined: Thu Oct 04, 2007 7:00 pm
Posts: 57

Wed Oct 17, 2007 7:13 pm

Ive been told I do this quite often. The funny thing is I don't even notice it until after a conversation, when my friends tell me that what i said was completely unintelligible :?

Makes me feel pretty stupid...

Anyone else have this problem?



2ukenkerl
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 19, 2007 7:00 pm
Posts: 6931

Wed Oct 17, 2007 8:17 pm

If I am VERY nervous, or VERY tired, my speech my come out as VERY unintelligible. Sometimes I have even TYPED that way. Talk about embarassing. It is VERY rare though! SOMETIMES I might scramble words, etc... Same circumstances, and MORE common, but far less embarassing. It is FAR more likely I will stutter or even repeat, but that is even pretty rare. To give you an IDEA of frequency, I have probably had the problem you described no more than 3 times in a year, and can go a decade without it happening again. Scrambling might be like 5 times as common. The stuttering can happen a lot under the right circumstances, but usually doesn't.

Oh well, nobody said AS or autism had NO problems. That is one of perhaps 4 problems I have, and related to one of them.(I guess they are meltdowns)



poopylungstuffing
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: Thu Mar 08, 2007 7:00 pm
Posts: 7618
Location: Snapdragon Ridge

Wed Oct 17, 2007 8:25 pm

Yeah..I do this too..


and when I am very stressed...I can hardly get a sentence out...

ALSO..Flakey and I have our own sorta dialect that we used with each other..and I am amazed by how much people who are privy to our conversations don't understand...

Also...I turn everything into a song...and I used alot of random word salad about everything...

On top of that i nonsensicly embellish everything.....foody food....keysy keys...story store

Toss in a buncha random jubber jabber...and that is how I talk



Anniemaniac
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

User avatar

Joined: Fri Nov 03, 2006 7:00 pm
Posts: 403

Wed Oct 17, 2007 8:43 pm

This is one of my worst habits. From a young age I was told I speak too fast, and that causes me to stumble over my words and stutter, or clutter them, especially when I'm very stressed, nervous or angry. Not only does this sometimes make it very difficult for people to understand me, it also makes me feel very embarassed too.



2ukenkerl
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 19, 2007 7:00 pm
Posts: 6931

Wed Oct 17, 2007 8:49 pm

Anniemaniac wrote:
This is one of my worst habits. From a young age I was told I speak too fast, and that causes me to stumble over my words and stutter, or clutter them, especially when I'm very stressed, nervous or angry. Not only does this sometimes make it very difficult for people to understand me, it also makes me feel very embarassed too.


Yeah, my "cluttered speech" is basically a combination of bad timing(almost saying one sylable before the previous one is finished), and confusing my knowledge/review with what has been said, so some of the idea may never be presented, making the rest worthless.

One time I made a post and the next morning people were saying "STEVE, what were you trying to say?". I MYSELF had trouble piecing things together.



Anniemaniac
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

User avatar

Joined: Fri Nov 03, 2006 7:00 pm
Posts: 403

Wed Oct 17, 2007 9:09 pm

Quote:
Yeah, my "cluttered speech" is basically a combination of bad timing(almost saying one sylable before the previous one is finished)


Same here. I have so much going on in my brain, and so much that I want to say, that I want to make sure I get it all out before I forget, but this causes me do as you do, and start saying one thing before I've finished the previous one, which makes me stumble over my words, which makes me embarassed, which makes me stumble even more. My mind thinks too fast for me to process it and sort it into words.



Lightning88
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: Fri Aug 04, 2006 7:00 pm
Posts: 4100

Wed Oct 17, 2007 9:13 pm

If I'm at a loss of words (like if I forget the name of something), this happens. But even when things are normal, people still have trouble understanding me anyway since I'm a very quick speaker. Last weekend, my mom and I were looking for Stella Ct. I found it before she did and told her "That's Stella Ct.!" However, she just kept on driving. After I repeated it a few times, she finally got it and said "I thought you were saying 'It's still a court'!" That happens too often...



imok2
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 04, 2007 7:00 pm
Posts: 41

Wed Oct 17, 2007 9:35 pm

Maybe I do and don't know it. People often lookk at me like I'm speaking a different language. I communicat better written.
I forget words though. Absolute blank. Like nothing comes out... Feels like an eturnity before I cann find the word, then the moment has passed and conversation has gone on without me...



KristaMeth
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2007 7:00 pm
Posts: 928
Location: Hick town near Harrisburg?Pa

Wed Oct 17, 2007 9:38 pm

This is completely unrelated. But I just wanted to tell you that your avatar pic... makes me want to give you a big hug. You're a total cutie pie.

That is all.

:)


_________________
Push the envelope, watch it bend.


krex
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: Tue Jun 20, 2006 7:00 pm
Posts: 5106
Location: Village of the Damned

Wed Oct 17, 2007 10:22 pm

imok2 wrote:
Maybe I do and don't know it. People often lookk at me like I'm speaking a different language. I communicat better written.
I forget words though. Absolute blank. Like nothing comes out... Feels like an eturnity before I cann find the word, then the moment has passed and conversation has gone on without me...



There is a look I often get from people that I think is confusion or shock?It's usually followed by silence,then the "look",maybe a look towards anyone else that is there....then they talk to each other about something totally unrelated to what I said.I recall this happening many,many,many times.It's enough to make you wonder what the hell they "heard" because I know I didnt "say" anything shocking.



I know that I often mix words up...use dishwasher when I mean washing machine....or grabage when I mean laundry.It seems that my brain stores connected words in the same file space and when I go into to get the word it just hands me any card stored there....very embarassing.I do much better when I write but I still miss words,miss use words that I actually know...like "their" for "there".I am 43 and think this has gotten much worse over the past few years....little scary.


_________________
Just because one plane is flying out of formation, doesn't mean the formation is on course....R.D.Lang

Visit my wool sculpture blog
http://eyesoftime.blogspot.com/


serenity
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: Sun Feb 25, 2007 7:00 pm
Posts: 1464
Location: Invisibly here

Wed Oct 17, 2007 10:46 pm

krex wrote:
I know that I often mix words up...use dishwasher when I mean washing machine....or grabage when I mean laundry.It seems that my brain stores connected words in the same file space and when I go into to get the word it just hands me any card stored there....very embarassing.I do much better when I write but I still miss words,miss use words that I actually know...like "their" for "there".I am 43 and think this has gotten much worse over the past few years....little scary.

I do that all the time. It happens when I'm a little stressed, or when I'm trying to think about something, and someone interrupts me in the middle of my thought process. It's embarassing when it happens during conversations with people that I don't know well. Which happens frequently, because I'm stressed about talking to someone unfamiliar. I always feel like I leave an impression that I'm stupid, or loopy in those kinds of situations.



lastcrazyhorn
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 10, 2007 7:00 pm
Posts: 1220
Location: Texas

Thu Oct 18, 2007 12:47 am

Anniemaniac wrote:
Quote:
Yeah, my "cluttered speech" is basically a combination of bad timing(almost saying one sylable before the previous one is finished)


Same here. I have so much going on in my brain, and so much that I want to say, that I want to make sure I get it all out before I forget, but this causes me do as you do, and start saying one thing before I've finished the previous one, which makes me stumble over my words, which makes me embarassed, which makes me stumble even more. My mind thinks too fast for me to process it and sort it into words.


That's me. And it's worse if who I'm saying it to is likely to reject me or tell me my view is wrong, because then I self-sabotage and speak even faster, which leads to slurring and stuttering of words . . . *sighs* I hate the stuttering. If I can get past the first syllable, I'm usually okay, but sometimes it takes me 3 or 4 tries to get it right.

And getting nervous is worse. So having to stand in front of a class and give directions is completely hopeless. I get my thoughts out of order, I can't speak clearly, I go off on tangents that should just be quiet thoughts . . . *sighs again*


_________________
"I am to misbehave" - Mal

BATMAN: I'll do everything I can to rehabilitate you.
CATWOMAN: Marry me.
BATMAN: Everything except that.

http://lastcrazyhorn.wordpress.com - "Odd One Out: Reality with a refreshing slice of aspie"


lastcrazyhorn
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 10, 2007 7:00 pm
Posts: 1220
Location: Texas

Thu Oct 18, 2007 12:50 am

krex wrote:
imok2 wrote:
Maybe I do and don't know it. People often lookk at me like I'm speaking a different language. I communicat better written.
I forget words though. Absolute blank. Like nothing comes out... Feels like an eturnity before I cann find the word, then the moment has passed and conversation has gone on without me...



There is a look I often get from people that I think is confusion or shock?It's usually followed by silence,then the "look",maybe a look towards anyone else that is there....then they talk to each other about something totally unrelated to what I said.I recall this happening many,many,many times.It's enough to make you wonder what the hell they "heard" because I know I didnt "say" anything shocking.



I know that look. It's the "you're a dumbass" look. God I hate it. Because here's my chance to speak and actually say something, since I have to hold back from talking too much and all, and when my chance does come up, I sound like a moron.


_________________
"I am to misbehave" - Mal

BATMAN: I'll do everything I can to rehabilitate you.
CATWOMAN: Marry me.
BATMAN: Everything except that.

http://lastcrazyhorn.wordpress.com - "Odd One Out: Reality with a refreshing slice of aspie"


Speedy
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2007 7:00 pm
Posts: 502
Location: Being a koala somewhere

Thu Oct 18, 2007 11:06 am

Yup, I'm a word tripper. So many times if I'm uncomfortable or nervous, do I get asked to repeat myself, or more frequently, "eh?". I stutter at times too. That and being quiet, really annoys folk. Being a daydreamer doesn't help either. People having a conversation ask me for my opinion, and having been on my own planet, mumble almost the entire conversation back to them.


_________________
"Think like the whelp, think like the whelp, think like the whelp... " Captain Jack Sparrow

"Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die." Inigo Montoya


Brittany2907
The ultimate storm is eternally on it's
The ultimate storm is eternally on it's

User avatar

Joined: Sat Jun 09, 2007 7:00 pm
Posts: 4920
Location: New Zealand

Thu Oct 18, 2007 11:40 am

Sometimes I will be speaking and then when I finish a sentence people will say..."Can you repeat that please?".
I think it is because my brain is thinking a lot faster than I speak so there for words are missed and jumbled up sometimes.


_________________
I = Vegan!
Animals = Friends.


Display posts from previous:  Sort by  


Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next
Page:




You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum
Jump to: