Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

do you find distinguishing beetween background and foreground noise hard?
Poll ended at 20 Dec 2007, 6:39 am
yes 100%  100%  [ 12 ]
no 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 12

Kris94
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

21 Oct 2007, 6:39 am

The other day I was at a water park called "wet & wild" and I was walking along oblivous to being shouted at to get out! I got into trouble because I couldn't hear I was being shouted at... :(

dawndeleon
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2007, 9:08 am

that happens at work sometimes. i have to ask a few times for people to repeat things.

EvilKimEvil
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2007, 11:30 am

This is a normal part of Auditory Processing Disorder. Other symptoms include occasional difficulty understanding speech in the absence of background noise, delay between hearing words and understanding them, and trouble with short-term memory. People with APD use their memory to unscramble words right after hearing them. This takes up so much memory that it makes remembering other things more difficult. APD is a common co-morbid with ASD, ADHD and several other condtions.

woodsman25
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

21 Oct 2007, 2:11 pm

Ya, thats difficult when communicating for me, if nobody needs to get thru to me (like being yelled at to leave a given area for whatever reason, like your example) I too unless its very loud would simply not register it unless I hear it loud enough to know im being talked to, then its just understanding what is being said to me.