God why do I get so wound up about people!

Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

fresco
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2007, 3:41 pm

I get so stressed about being in the company of people, its an absolute nightmare juggling friends. I usually think things are going to be much worse than they actually are.

Bightme
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

22 Oct 2007, 3:54 pm

fresco wrote:
I get so stressed about being in the company of people, its an absolute nightmare juggling friends. I usually think things are going to be much worse than they actually are.

Yeah, same here, I find friendship exhausting! So I tend to keep most people at arms length, so I can pick and choose (and usually decline) social invites! which isn't being a very good friend really, but how can you really make people understand hey.

Prof_Pretorius
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2007, 5:18 pm

I use humor to keep people at arm's length. I find it difficult to visit, or have people over to the house to visit.

Age1600
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2007, 5:27 pm

Yea I'm horrible with friends and stuff, I'm so bad at returning phone calls, emails, msgs, its not that I hate them, its just so stressful to keep in contact with everybody sometimes, overwhelming actually. Social situations are hell, I try to avoid them as much as I can. If I do have to go, I usually just zone out and daydream most of the time haha.

Rynessa
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

22 Oct 2007, 6:00 pm

I have a bad habit of reaching out for friendship, then getting nervous and cutting off contact. I'm really afraid they're going to reject me. I don't see the point in having a friend if you can't be yourself with them, yet being myself is generally social suicide. It's so stressful I just end up quitting.

fresco
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2007, 6:03 pm

Yes humour is a great decoy! I enjoy the company of the friends I can be myself with but the ones I have to show a good front I just mess up, keeping up an act is difficult. These days I am saw highly strung I find it nerve racking to be with anyone.

gogos
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

22 Oct 2007, 9:50 pm

MEEEE TOOOOO!! !

siuan
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2007, 10:05 pm

Bightme wrote:
I find friendship exhausting! So I tend to keep most people at arms length, so I can pick and choose (and usually decline) social invites! which isn't being a very good friend really, but how can you really make people understand hey.

Ditto that.

Adrie
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

23 Oct 2007, 2:53 pm

Rynessa wrote:
I have a bad habit of reaching out for friendship, then getting nervous and cutting off contact. I'm really afraid they're going to reject me. I don't see the point in having a friend if you can't be yourself with them, yet being myself is generally social suicide. It's so stressful I just end up quitting.

Yes, I totally agree.

When I am in a new situation I can force myself to be outgoing and "normal," but after a couple of weeks, for instance, I can't keep it up because I am emotionally exhausted. So then I become quiet and go off to my own world, and ironically this is when most people tend to be opening up, I think. And then I'm out, and if I ever get in the mood to be sociable again, I am too shy b/c they have already forgotten about me... :(

Sometimes I think I only want friends when I NEED them, and I suppose that's not the point of friendship, but I don't know how else to be. I do care about my friends, but I am hot and cold on even my best friends.

josa
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

23 Oct 2007, 3:05 pm

This is all so true...

Sometimes I like being with a group of people, when I can be my boring self.. but when alone with someone, you can't act or be quiet. It just doesn't work.

Wrackspurt
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2007, 4:08 pm

Same here. If I get roped into a social gathering - when I get back home I've been known to sleep 12- 14 hours to recover. Keeping up with people drains my energy.

RB
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

23 Oct 2007, 4:51 pm

I have a bit of a hard time going to see people and a much harder time letting people come see me; I've let one person into my house in 2 years, others have come to the door but I usually block the entrance without meaning to. Sometimes I get invited and am very reluctant but they insist (I don't know why people would like me either) and I end up being told a car is on its way and I should get dressed, then when I'm there I've found I tend to just want to stand to the side and hide behind a curtain in a corner if I can, I usually don't know what to do and can't just stretch out comfertably on the floor and beds like everybody else. It's really tiring thinking about what I should be doing but at the same time I don't completely wish I was home, because I do like the people I know.

richardbenson
Xfractor Card #351
Xfractor Card #351

24 Oct 2007, 2:50 am

Listen! i get wound up around people aswell. it s nothing to worry about :wink: