Date outside your race/ethnicity?

Page 3 of 6 [ 85 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Would you date, or have you dated outside your race/ethnicity?
Absolutely not 2%  2%  [ 4 ]
Absolutely not 2%  2%  [ 4 ]
Unlikely 3%  3%  [ 5 ]
Unlikely 3%  3%  [ 5 ]
Can't say for sure 6%  6%  [ 11 ]
Can't say for sure 6%  6%  [ 11 ]
Only if no one else liked me 1%  1%  [ 2 ]
Only if no one else liked me 1%  1%  [ 2 ]
Good chance 9%  9%  [ 15 ]
Good chance 9%  9%  [ 15 ]
Of course 28%  28%  [ 48 ]
Of course 28%  28%  [ 48 ]
Total votes : 170

Hollywood
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

13 Aug 2005, 1:07 pm

I'd have no problem going out with someone outside my own race. I really dig black & asian chicks.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2005, 1:41 pm

For me, just finding a girl who I can really feel emotionally on-the-level with is rare enough. If I felt that connected to someone it really wouldn't mean anything if she was pale white, double-dipped west african, chinese, indian, south american, because she'd still be more like me than 99% of the people I know. My experience has showed me that at least in conversation, even though I've never found someone like that single, it's like their personality jumps far enough out in front of them that I see their personality first and all the other stuff second. As for being off-the-wall cultural, I really couldn't see a girl who's real stereotypical of any race really fitting me so that's something I probably wouldn't have to deal with.

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

Purplefluffychainsaw
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

14 Aug 2005, 6:59 am

I'm fine with dating any one I fall in love with - male, female, asian, split ethnics... It sounds reverse cliche (is that a term? oh well.) but I don't judge by looks. The only male (excluding Michael) I've fallen in love with since I was about five happens to be split ethnics. But as a general rule I tend to go for blonde, pale guys/girls, so usually I'd be with those within my own race.

fahreeq
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2005, 9:00 pm

I'm of mixed descent myself, so I can't help but date outside of my race(s).

ma_137
Toucan
Toucan

16 Aug 2005, 9:55 pm

I'd love to date someone of another race. Has anyone ever noticed the children from mixed marriages are always the most beautiful?

Ante
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2005, 5:48 pm

Deleted

Last edited by Ante on 09 Nov 2005, 7:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tallgirl
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

17 Aug 2005, 8:25 pm

Quote:
I'm aware there are many, many negative stereotypes being perpetrated about most black women being loud, stupid, obnoxious and rude, which may be true for some black women but can also be said about segments in any other group, white, hispanic or Asian. And from what I'm reading in this forum, unfortunately, people still believe these to be the truth.
How utterly sad.

I think that the perception of black women is not helped by the WB, nor music videos or the media in general. One of my best friends in junior high was black, she still is hahaha, and although there were definite cultural differences, we were great friends and we embraced those differences. I couldn't dance, she could. We could both sing, but she was better. She didn't let anyone push her around and I was her staunchest defender when security guards would accuse her of shoplifting, because she was probably the only black person in the mall. We each drew from eachothers strengths, whether stereotypical or not.

I have dated the following races/ethnicities:

African-American
Jewish/Hebrew
and the old typical wh***y.

I married a German-Scot-Jew-Swede and he is as pale as the moon. Being an Aspie, I am much more stimulated by intellect and a sense of humor. However, I am not attracted to Asian males, even though half of my family is Japanese and I must say that my cousins are quite handsome and never at a loss for female company.

Incidentally, the Japanese women in my family all married Anglo-Saxon males.

My best friend, who also happens to be my cousin, is half Filipino half Japanese and she has never been attracted to Asian males. They would try to date her during school, but she was never interested. She married an Irish guy.

Tallgirl.

TaliDaRadical
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

17 Aug 2005, 10:59 pm

TallGirl: why don't you like Asian guys? Do you not have Asian Pride or something? I have strong-a$$ Asian Pride and I would only date Asian guys, although I find some African-American guys attractive because I live in a Black/Asian neighborhood and we grew up with black culture. I'm asking out of curiosity, I'm not racist at all, but I just don't know why so many Asian American women date white guys, I mean, our cultures are so different. May I ask how DO you do it?

thatrsdude
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2005, 7:19 am

Saying that it's racist to not be attracted to a certain race is the same as saying that it's sexist to not be attracted to a certain sex. :?

vetivert
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2005, 7:44 am

true - i think.

for me, it's more about the individual. i would never say "i won't go out with(for example) black blokes", because it would depend on the bloke himself, and not his race or ethnicity. it's on a par with the fact that i seem to prefer dark to blond, and a deep voice to a lighter voice (although neither of those is carved in stone, either).

initial physical attraction IS important (whether people think it's superficial or not), but it's the whole person, in the final analysis.

Smiley

18 Aug 2005, 11:24 am

Mockingbird wrote:
I don't see why race is ever an issue. People are people. Period.

absolutely i totally agree :)

eamonn
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2005, 2:17 pm

I cant understand the 27 answers that say "of course". I would date someone of any race if she looked good to me and i liked her but how can i say of course if people dont know me and who i fancy or not? I think yes is a better answer.

TaliDaRadical
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

20 Aug 2005, 8:29 pm

Quote:
Saying that it's racist to not be attracted to a certain race is the same as saying that it's sexist to not be attracted to a certain sex.

Race is not sex.
Well, the racial features that people prefer are determined by western colonialist brainwashing. Why do you think so many men of color are attracted to white and lighter-skinned/less ethnic looking minority women, and there are no really super dark skinned models on TV? Why do you think so many minority women try to date white guys? It's because of institutional racism, folks.

Bec
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2005, 10:17 pm

I don't know if people of colour being attracted to white people is a result of brainwashing, TaliDaRadical. Nothing and no one can control who a person is attracted to.

ma_137
Toucan
Toucan

20 Aug 2005, 10:28 pm

Bec wrote:
I don't know if people of colour being attracted to white people is a result of brainwashing, TaliDaRadical. Nothing and no one can control who a person is attracted to.

I would agree with TaliDaRadical on this. You can have cultural brainwashing based on what a society dictates as norm. If your raised to believe something is beautiful, you will believe it is.

Sea Gull
Sea Gull

20 Aug 2005, 11:52 pm

No

Maybe

I don't know