Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

Brittany2907
The ultimate storm is eternally on it's

29 Oct 2007, 4:28 am

I feel the world is regressing, rather than progressing in terms of what is essential and what is not.

The majority of people are focusing on the negative things in life to be positive. Meaning that they are thinking that being rich, slim, good looking and a social brilliant is what matters. Instead of the more important things such as over all health in people and animals, having a good education etc.

For example, I watched a movie about a man who wanted to become a doctor. He was at medical school and his teacher wrote on his personal file that he was "excessivly happy". I mean, there is nothing wrong with being really happy! It would be great to be "excessivly happy".
This man was amoung the top of his class regards to his grades. He made the patients in the hospital smile, even if they were termanilly ill or had multipule fractures! All he did was listen to them and try to improve the quality of life, instead of just delaying death!

He spoke about how most people think of doctors as high ranking people, who are very serious and emotionless. In my opinion, they should be looked upon as people who you can trust, people you can confide in and people who you feel safe around.

This is not about doctors, but the world!
The majority of people follow the trends just to fit in, or do something just for the title, not the actual purpose!
People will by the latest clothing, not to feel good about themselves, but to impress others regardless of whether they are comfortable in the clothing or not.
People will starve themselves to try and look like celebrities that shouldn't even be admired in the first place, because all they do are things that influence people negatively. Especially youth, who are one day going to be the worlds leaders.

It sickens me to know all of this. That the world is just one big lie! Everyone is a follower, not an individual and everything the majority does is for the social status that they will gain!, not for what others will gain from doing it.

jjstar
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2007, 5:04 am

Great realization. I'd say you're right on. It's all a dream. None of the drama is real. Fiction. Stories. Movies.

Now what?

Brittany2907 wrote:
I feel the world is regressing, rather than progressing in terms of what is essential and what is not.

The majority of people are focusing on the negative things in life to be positive. Meaning that they are thinking that being rich, slim, good looking and a social brilliant is what matters. Instead of the more important things such as over all health in people and animals, having a good education etc.

For example, I watched a movie about a man who wanted to become a doctor. He was at medical school and his teacher wrote on his personal file that he was "excessivly happy". I mean, there is nothing wrong with being really happy! It would be great to be "excessivly happy".
This man was amoung the top of his class regards to his grades. He made the patients in the hospital smile, even if they were termanilly ill or had multipule fractures! All he did was listen to them and try to improve the quality of life, instead of just delaying death!

He spoke about how most people think of doctors as high ranking people, who are very serious and emotionless. In my opinion, they should be looked upon as people who you can trust, people you can confide in and people who you feel safe around.

The majority of people follow the trends just to fit in, or do something just for the title, not the actual purpose!
People will by the latest clothing, not to feel good about themselves, but to impress others regardless of whether they are comfortable in the clothing or not.
People will starve themselves to try and look like celebrities that shouldn't even be admired in the first place, because all they do are things that influence people negatively. Especially youth, who are one day going to be the worlds leaders.

It sickens me to know all of this. That the world is just one big lie! Everyone is a follower, not an individual and everything the majority does is for the social status that they will gain!, not for what others will gain from doing it.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2007, 9:00 am

Part of me agrees with this.

Tim

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2007, 9:10 am

I agree with you, completely.

abstrusemortal
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

29 Oct 2007, 9:14 am

Brittany2907 wrote:

You're talking about the movie "Patch Adams"; the man the movie was based on actually exists, but even he says that the accuracy of the movie is off - the man founded Geseundheit Institute. It's exaggerated in most of the movie - i.e. "excessive happiness", I doubt was ever expressed to him in such a form as was presented in the movie.

But the point all of that is to show the audience, which is what I'm sure you're trying to do, that the world needs more personal interaction, and the convention of having doctors miles and miles over patients head isn't necessary. What a patient needs is a learned friend to listen to their problems and give them advice on solutions. No malignant advice, no deception, sarcasm, etc.. All these things just make the world that much more confusing and irritating.

As a side note to the last part:

My dad told me the other day about a little girl in pre-school who was poked in the head by another boy pre-schooler with a stick and caused the
girl to bleed. When the parents of the little girl confronted the school about it they did nothing, as they could do very little since it's a private pre-school (the school will lose money,etc..). So the parents of the girl started calling the parents of the boy so that they could get together and something could be arranged so the matter would be settled and another incident wouldn't happen, but no. The parents of the boy didn't respond to the parents, but responded to the board and said they would sue the school if the parents of the girl didn't stop calling, because - and this is their reason for the lawsuit - it would ruin their "reputation" - their "social status" - with regard to the other parents of the school.

Of course we, reading this story, have only the "superificial details" of what the parents of the little girl did to provoke the parents of the little boy into a lawsuit; but they have some degree of right since their daughter was injured by their little boy.

Anyways, social status sucks. Who cares about what other people think? Most of us only have to deal with a few people in our lives anyways (personally). The only people who should care about what other people think are politicians, because it's their job, and obviously it doesn't seem like they do sometimes, but hey that's our world isn't it?

Brittany2907

29 Oct 2007, 10:01 am

Oh yay! Finally...people that don't think I am (or atleast not completely) delusional!

Yes...I think the movie was called "Patch Adams".

Lumina
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2007, 10:57 pm

Social status is one of those things I wish I didn’t have a preoccupation with; I worry too much about sitting at the bottom rung of the social ladder. Ok, so I perceive myself sitting on that bottom rung (Now remember, perception is the mother of deception.), after all, not too many people pay attention to me unless I do something so absolutely amazing they have to take notice of it.

Isn’t odd how we really don’t take notice of the little guy who goes out of their way to interact with people, making them feel comfortable and what not? Most of us are more concerned about social ranks than people skills (ok, so some of us lack those) or even personality. I would much rather interact with some who can keep me interested in what they’re saying, give me a good laugh or two and make me think about things than who they are as far as their status goes.

Labels, pfft… Those are so I know I’m putting ketchup on my meatloaf instead of grape jelly. I see way too many people more than willing to slap a single label on themselves and they try to hard to keep up appearances and when someone shows up that doesn’t fit their definition of that particular label comes along they end being ridiculed for it. You want to see my label, why it says, punk, goth, grunge, metalhead, redneck, car loving, socially inept freak. Gosh, now that I’ve made it easier for everyone to cubbyhole me…

siuan
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2007, 12:58 am

Patch Adams was an emotional movie. I liked it, but it was more emotional than my typical choice.

Some people are the stuffed shirt types, yes. My issue with the current superficial ways of our society is everyone's need for plastic surgery. Makes me sick.

WhiteRaven
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

30 Oct 2007, 1:40 pm

but what can be done?

samtoo
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2007, 3:34 pm

Well I don't think the world is making any real progress... :|
There's an awful lot of superficial people out there. Sometimes I guess words can't describe how tough it can be.

Coyote27
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

31 Oct 2007, 7:52 am

You can't save a world that doesn't want to be saved, but you can make your own path and save yourself.

Trigger11
Veteran
Veteran

31 Oct 2007, 9:43 am

Fear not, for their are many of us out there who agree with you. I realized this long ago as a teenager and decided to not give a crap what others thought of me. I still do today. What does it get me? Well, I was recently fired from my position for "political" reasons and my "anti-social" behavior. Did it matter that I was technically the best person for the job, with the most knowledge of the system? No! What mattered was that I didn't go out drinking at social events with other members in the community. I didn't hide facts about the system that could lead to death and environmental damage. I didn't dress the right way and wore a hat and sunglasses in bright environments, including...oh my gosh...inside! I did talk straight to people, gave my opinions, and followed the guidelines I was required to by government regulation and law. The human species, as a whole, sucks. Rather than work towards the common good, including other species, our species (it sickens me to actually put myself in that category) is self absorbed, egomaniacal, and ignorant. It's sad really. At least their exists people like us, who can see the human species for what it really is and actually give a damn to make it better.

RadiantAspie
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

31 Oct 2007, 11:21 am

Brittany2907 wrote:

Most (smart) people usually learn this at one point or another in their lives.

In my short life, I come to learn that its not that the world is bad, its more that you are now that much wiser :wink: .

Besides, who cares what "The great unwashed" think or do, it gives me vertigo just to look DOWN upon them.

The other realization is that there is more to this world than the stupid things people do....

Religion: A good way to demonstrate our ability to believe things that just aren't so.