Page 3 of 3 [ 41 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

Speedy
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

31 Oct 2007, 10:45 am

I prefer to be alone, yes, but sometimes I have to head near civilisation for a while, even if I just go to a shop. Living where I do, all my old school friends considered it to be a far away land or something, and have lost contact with all of them. I am not at a loss because of this, instead I'm glad I don't have to get on a bus or be jostled in the high street.

As much as a lot of people I have come across exhaust me, to that same extent there is a minority that I feel drawn to, maybe because they aren't as irritating as the rest, maybe I connect with them in some tiny way.

If I'm with company, I'm usually the one sat to one side, staring into space, having to be interrupted to get me into a conversation I don't want.

"Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die." Inigo Montoya

Plutonian_Persona
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

31 Oct 2007, 11:53 am

I have a bit of a Catch-22 myself: I love being alone, especially regarding my special interests, but at the same time I do need a little interaction, whether it is a pen pal, WP, or a girlfriend. However, after a while that interaction starts to become too much for me and I just want to be left alone again with no social contact whatsoever. Yet, after awhile I start to want to interact again and the cycle repeats itself. :roll:

Adrie
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

31 Oct 2007, 12:29 pm

Good question! I agree with Coolstertothecore and Plutonian_Persona (LOL, I love writing out screennames): it's a cycle. And as Sapphix said, there IS a difference between being alone and being lonely...

For me, I need the HOPE that someday I will have deeper human connections, will fall in love, etc. If I believe it will happen, I feel at peace with myself, even when I am alone. This enables me to pursue my passions, and I genuinely love being alone at these times.

However, after all of this time alone, I realize I am not making any progress in having a social life and I worry my life will pass me by and I will continue to be alone. This is what makes me lonely, and then I no longer prefer being alone...

So I go out with my friends and try to start conversations with classmates - being as gregarious as I can be - until I burn out and need to rest again, and figure that it will happen later and I can go back to the hope phase...

I think that's how it goes for me, anyway... :? :)

Bodorus
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

01 Nov 2007, 4:40 am

tough question, there is a difference between being alone and feeling lonely
i like being alone, because of the simple fact that most people bore me to death and that i bore them to death, simple as that. I would like to have an interesting friend of course, never encountered one.
But i dont like feeling lonely, and i always feel lonely when in the company of people, so i avoid them. When i'm alone i dont feel lonely.

Marrshu
Raven
Raven

01 Nov 2007, 6:26 am

I often crave social contact with others (I am a Type 2 on the Enneagram) but I often find myself alone because because of my social anexity, poor talking skills, and mental breakdowns/phobia attacks. :(

Sedaka
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2007, 8:20 am

both. i want a bf to be at home with and who will leave me alone when i'm upset or angry cause i know i can't always release those emotions properly and will let me do this without thinking i am holding a grudge or that i dislike him

other than that.... i have wow

got free science papers?

www.pubmed.gov
www.sciencedirect.com
http://highwire.stanford.edu/lists/freeart.dtl

ChatBrat
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2007, 11:10 pm

nicklegends wrote:
If I could have my best friends over without ever having to worry about social matters like calling them on the phone or acting properly once they arrive, I would.

LMAO! Bravo!! ! True, that.

out of control, & at times
hard to handle.
But if you can't handle
me at my worst,
then you sure as hell
don't deserve me
at my best.
-Marilyn Monroe

pandd
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2007, 11:23 pm

I can enjoy some social interaction, but even the best interaction would not be bearable without 'alone time'. I just need the time out (without the pressure of keeping up one's end, refraining from too much eccentricity, etc) as a rest from the exhausting antics one has to engage in to not appear either completely aloof and disdainful, or utterly odd. I also really value alone time for the sake of itself (as something other than a break that is).

Being alone is privacy, freedom, and non-interruption. Basically good times!

Also there are times when social interaction of basically any kind is off-putting. if I am down, I really cannot mount the energy for social interaction and also find being around others unbearably tiresome.

Reodor_Felgen
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2007, 1:54 pm

Sometimes it's good to be alone just to think, but it is also good to have friends, and knowing that other people accept me for who I am. A while ago my anxiety and depression was so severe that I would have given almost anything just for more contact with other people.