Page 1 of 3 [ 41 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Jimbogf
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

30 Oct 2007, 11:27 pm

I've been thinking the exact same thing as few here. I prefer to be completely alone. I love my time to think, think, think and my hobbies, the outdoors, this is my life and I enjoy it. I've realized friendships are too much anxiety for me and I tend to be clingy and annoying when I do make a friend. :P However there is always a part of me that wants a very small amount of interaction, hence coming to these forums.

gwenevyn wrote:
But... I've noticed that isolation--while it frees me from the anxiety and bother of real-life social situations--tends to result in the sorts of thought patterns commonly regarded as less than sane.

Same here, If I isolate myself too much I tend to get.. delusional. I lose myself into my thoughts and my own little world. I'm not going to say exactly how much I fell into it before I came to this website. With the help of a few people here I was able to break out of it (mostly) :wink: Then I ended up teetering into misery. Though for now I'm "balanced" I believe, after some things have been cleared up.

thyme
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2007, 11:44 pm

I prefer to be alone the majority of the time. I don't suffer from loneliness like most NT's do.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

31 Oct 2007, 12:38 am

I like to have a balance. I like to hang out with my friends in the evenings. I visit my parents on Sundays and stay for dinner. I like to have my week day mornings to myself, so that I can work on my art. I like to spend Saturday morning alone, because that's when I like to get my chores done. I like to spend my afternoons at my clubhouse. I also like to play Bingo at the Bingo Hall on Saturday afternoons. I like to be alone at my place, for at least two hours, before I go to bed. Three hours at the most. I find that I need a balance. :)

Wrackspurt
Veteran
Veteran

31 Oct 2007, 3:30 am

I prefer the company of animals they are less demanding. I come online to chat with people. It's easier to break a conversation online. People drain my energy, when it comes to people I'd rather be alone.

Aspie_Chav
Veteran
Veteran

31 Oct 2007, 3:57 am

I just wish that I like to be alone. Logically I could write a long list of why being alone is good.

jjstar
Veteran
Veteran

31 Oct 2007, 5:17 am

oh yeah. until further notice.

Cernunnos
Veteran
Veteran

31 Oct 2007, 5:45 am

I live in some sort of grey world caught between craving companionship and hating being with people. I want friends, but I don't like company. I want to be with my family, but they piss me off so much that I end up despising the time I have to "waste" on them (this is my siblings, aunts, uncles & such, not my spouse & kids who are very loving).

Now, I've been let down so many times by "friends" & family that I just don't bother much anymore. I feel I ought to make more effort to catch up with people, but having spent years being the one who always had to make the effort to avoid being ignored, I just don't really care.

It kills me that, when one of my siblings hasn't stepped foot in one of the 5 homes I lived in, it's always me that gets slagged off for not visiting people more. And that happens a lot with me - I'm always the "black sheep" who's run off to the other end of the country (half way down England :roll: ) and never contacts them (untrue!). What's that all about :? ?

I haven't heard from one of my so-called friends from school or uni since I left, despite trying to contact them. So now, why bother?

coolstertothecore
Toucan
Toucan

31 Oct 2007, 7:00 am

My love for being alone seems to come in patterns. I enjoy it for a while until I start to feel a little bit lonely. Then I get all sad because i have no friends. Then I arrange to meet someone and as soon as I've done that I start to get anxious. Then I go out with someone and have a horrible time because they don't share my interests, I have to do scary things like buying a drink, I constantly worry that they wished they hadn't agreed to go out with me etc. Then I love being alone again.

Fortunately for me I have a boyfriend who is very similar to me, so spending time with him isn't hugely different to being on my own. He also understands when i want some time to myself.

I guess if I could find some friends who didn't totally drain me I would maybe like being with people more.

Kaleido
Veteran
Veteran

31 Oct 2007, 7:19 am

I enjoy other people as long as I don't have a preferred interest that I am involved in, then I just want to be alone to do it without any interruption of any kind for hours and hours.

9CatMom
Veteran
Veteran

31 Oct 2007, 7:26 am

It depends on the meaning of alone. I like having time to myself, but I don't like being alone if it means being rejected.

AnnabelLee
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

31 Oct 2007, 7:29 am

I wish to be alone either because I need to cut out the sensory or the emotions of personal interaction due to overstress or because I am feeling hurt or mistreated and do not wish to be hurt more.

Inventor
Veteran
Veteran

31 Oct 2007, 8:26 am

I have lived in both. Many people, little connection, seeking solitude, and far in the mountains, no people, seeking self.

Few people like humans, no matter what they say.

Socialite is a job description. They know hundreds, but are any friends?

The more social, the more lowest common denominator, ending in politician.

Most people have few friends, they could change cities, jobs, join another church or bowling league, it is a superficial connection.

Fearing being alone they join a pack, gang, club, which defines social status. Everyone attends, but after the meeting goes their seperate ways.

I have yet to find the, I am becoming something group, WP comes close. My interests are varied, have some connection with the past, but have developed.

On one side is the anger and depression of meaningless life, repeating meaningless acts, till death.

Dealing with them sucks the life out of me. They add nothing to who I am becoming, and feed on my energy. I get tired from being around them. Family is the worst, a fake imposed relationship.

Alone I am productive. Free to be just myself, quite mad you know, for the definition of sane is a social thing. Education did not fill my need to know, but taking the best books on Geology, the tools of the trade, and living in the mountains for months does educate me. I learn to read rocks, watch mountains form, and see in hundreds of millions of years.

Everyone was sure I was mad, I did not have a TV. They also had questions about geology, land owners, and would ask. They had an idea, everyone considers themselves intelligent, but when I looked upon the land, and said, That hill does not belong here, they were doubly confused, to them it all looked the same, and what they had not told me was that hill had been studied before.

I described how it was formed, what it would contain, and it fit the geology report. As I answered more questions, The Madman, was replaced with The Wizard, and the good among them came out and told me that they did think I was strange, but I translated Geology into Cowboy, and they understood me.

Land owners wanted to meet me, but others threatened me, for I was spreading the Devil's lies, talking about 65 million years ago, and 200 million years ago, when God only created the earth 8,000 years ago. I was the subject of several sermons, which gave the faithful permission to attack me, cause the preacher said, and good christian people will poison the food of devil worshiping geologists.

I do not like enough people to make it worth my while to know them. I trust no one.

Alone I continued my studies, I had already learned that a double dose of Epson Salts will clear things from my system, I have met christians before.

Next I was back in cities doing IT, and as the digital printing field developed, publishing. They are solitary persuits where I make $100 an hour. I do not work much.

I do not feel alone, I may stay home, but around me is a confusion of meaningless life. I long for being alone in the mountains again, alone for months at a time, with nature and the stars. I am 61, I came from the Universe, I am going back.

Silly little apes drain me, and worse, alone beneath the stars feeds me, teaches me, and and gives me a feeling of wellbeing. I seek solitude and wireless Internet. A small town where my machines can live, a place twenty miles into the mountains for me.

My ambition is to become fully myself, totally mad, before I die. I am packing for a trip.

Angelus-Mortis
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

31 Oct 2007, 9:36 am

I'm alone because I do not value other people as much as they do. I do not know why, but I am simply not afraid of loneliness, though having a look at some of the things I do might show that it's because I do things by myself and enjoy activities which do not require other people, including drawing, doing math or building puzzles--all of these things can be done alone, and perhaps are better done alone because a challenging puzzle solved by oneself is more fulfilling than someone else telling you the answer. Perhaps I never saw any benefits from fearing loneliness, besides feeling that it is mandatory to interact socially with other people, and so I do not fear loneliness.

Arbitraris id veneficium quod te ludificat. Arbitror id formam quod intellego.

Ignorationi est non medicina.

Sapphix
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

31 Oct 2007, 9:47 am

I think there is a difference between being alone and feeling lonely. I absolutely do need a connection with at least a few close people, and I appreciate the time I have with them. I also know that I am energised by at least some alone time every day. At the moment, I live alone and work by myself from home, which is a great deal of time alone. I don't feel lonely at all. I think I could adapt to living with someone, but I would need my own room that I could go into for hours at a time to regenerate. It isn't so much something that is forced on me by lack of skills, but an actual need.

Mirel
Butterfly
Butterfly

31 Oct 2007, 9:55 am

I need to socialize with people on a daily basis, absolutley, without fail. Especially the hot ones.

:)

howzat
Veteran
Veteran

31 Oct 2007, 9:59 am

I like 2 b wid me m8s but as im so used 2 it being alone so overall i would just prefer 2 b alone as i can get on wid me own hobbies such as tennis, trainspottin n so on.